SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

In defense of Standing Rock, this was an issue between the NCAA and the University of North Dakota.  Although I really wish the tribal council allowed a vote, I hate to see Standing Rock labeled as the scapegoat in a dispute that did not even involve them in the first place.

The SR knew what the outlook would be because of what happened with the Spirit Lake vote, therefore prevented a tribal wide vote, and killing the UND name (not to mention not backing up the 1969 piece pipe ceremony granting permission for use of the name). Yep those poor scapegoats.

• Upvote 1

The SR knew what the outlook would be because of what happened with the Spirit Lake vote, therefore prevented a tribal wide vote, and killing the UND name (not to mention not backing up the 1969 piece pipe ceremony granting permission for use of the name). Yep those poor scapegoats.

No, Standing Rock was involuntarily dragged into NCAA/UND's dispute and forced to become the final arbiter when NCAA/UND punted in their settlement agreement.  You're passing blame and judgment on the wrong person(s).

No, Standing Rock was involuntarily dragged into NCAA/UND's dispute and forced to become the final arbiter when NCAA/UND punted in their settlement agreement.  You're passing blame and judgment on the wrong person(s).

They are far from innocent in this whole thing. If they would have told the NCAA about the 1969 pipe ceremony and backed it up with support, UND wouldn't have needed any tribal votes, but a man named Ron His Horse Is Thunder wanted nothing to do with that or UND's nickname.

• Upvote 1

Save the hyperbole.  Didn't the student representative on the nickname task force committee argue that the student-athletes just want to stay "North Dakota".  You do remember the student-athlete's, don't you, Jason?

Going forward, maybe Jason can focus more on his job as UNDSID and ensure that Barry Melrose finally understands how to pronounce "Caggiula" next April.

One student voted to keep North Dakota as an option. It wasn't one of the student-athletes. There are 4 students on the committee, 2 of them are actually student-athletes. It appears that 3 out of 4 students on the committee, including both student-athletes, voted to not include North Dakota. You suggested that they should listen to the student-athletes on the committee?

Part of Jayson's message is related to his job. He is saying that not having a nickname is taking attention away from the student-athletes and the athletic programs because the media takes time to discuss not having a nickname rather than talking about the athletes and teams. And maybe you should learn how to spell Jayson before telling him how to do his job.

One student voted to keep North Dakota as an option. It wasn't one of the student-athletes. There are 4 students on the committee, 2 of them are actually student-athletes. It appears that 3 out of 4 students on the committee, including both student-athletes, voted to not include North Dakota. You suggested that they should listen to the student-athletes on the committee?

Part of Jayson's message is related to his job. He is saying that not having a nickname is taking attention away from the student-athletes and the athletic programs because the media takes time to discuss not having a nickname rather than talking about the athletes and teams. And maybe you should learn how to spell Jayson before telling him how to do his job.

If UND's sports information director can't ensure that its student athletes' names are pronounced correctly on national television, I am not going to worry about the spelling of his name on an internet message board.

Also, I never said it was "one of the student-athletes."  I did, however, refer to a "student representative", who recently stated that: "I have several friends who are athletes, and not a single one plays hockey.  They just want to stay UND, not to bring back Fighting Sioux."  http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3801860-undnorth-dakota-out-committee-forwards-5-nicknames-public-vote

You do remember the student athletes, don't you, Jason?

If UND's sports information director can't ensure that its student athletes' names are pronounced correctly on national television, I am not going to worry about the spelling of his name on an internet message board.

Also, I never said it was "one of the student-athletes."  I did, however, refer to a "student representative", who recently stated that: "I have several friends who are athletes, and not a single one plays hockey.  They just want to stay UND, not to bring back Fighting Sioux."  http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3801860-undnorth-dakota-out-committee-forwards-5-nicknames-public-vote

You do remember the student athletes, don't you, Jason?

And yet there are 2 student-athletes on the committee who are supposed to be representing the student-athletes who voted to get rid of the no nickname option. Sounds like the student-athlete representatives on the committee agree with Jayson.

You are totally clueless if you actually believe that anyone can "ensure" what comes out of another person's mouth. Jayson can, and does, provide the media with proper pronunciations. He can't force them to say the names in a specific way, even if he was sitting beside them and talking in their ear.

They are far from innocent in this whole thing. If they would have told the NCAA about the 1969 pipe ceremony and backed it up with support, UND wouldn't have needed any tribal votes, but a man named Ron His Horse Is Thunder wanted nothing to do with that or UND's nickname.

The "they" you are talking about are the Elders only, not the SR people! Get your facts right before you blame innocent people!

It is our major NCAA sport and always will be. Also, NCAA popularity is increasing year over year along with the increase in hockey popularity (thanks to USA Hockey). College hockey TV viewing is also increasing rapidly. Lastly, NCAA hockey is easily just as popular as FCS football is to the main stream sports fan. Their championship games are broadcast on espn....that's about it.

Wrong. Pretty much the entire FCS playoffs are on espn and espn2. And our fine friends to the south happen to be playing a non conference game on ESPN. When's the last time espn showed a non conference regular season hockey game? Don't get me wrong, I love college hockey and think it should get more airtime on TV but it's not a premiere sport nationally.

In defense of Standing Rock, this was an issue between the NCAA and the University of North Dakota.  Although I really wish the tribal council allowed a vote, I hate to see Standing Rock labeled as the scapegoat in a dispute that did not even involve them in the first place.

But they missed the chance to the be hero to some (and stayed the hero in the eyes of others). 

Wrong. Pretty much the entire FCS playoffs are on espn and espn2. And our fine friends to the south happen to be playing a non conference game on ESPN. When's the last time espn showed a non conference regular season hockey game? Don't get me wrong, I love college hockey and think it should get more airtime on TV but it's not a premiere sport nationally.

The first 2 rounds of the FCS playoffs were only on ESPN 3 as were 2 of the quarterfinals. The other 2 quarterfinals were on ESPN and ESPN 2. One semifinal was on ESPN2 and the other on ESPNU while the championship was on ESPN2. ESPNU/ESPNnews had about 8 Big Ten hockey games on this past season. I don't believe the NCHC TV deal with CBSSN allows for our games to be televised by ESPN. The NCAA hockey tournament had 5 1st round games on ESPNU, 1 on ESPN 2, and 2 on ESPN 3. The 2nd round games were 3 on ESPNU and 1 on ESPN 2 while both Frozen Four semifinals were on ESPN2 and the National Championship was on ESPN.

The first 2 rounds of the FCS playoffs were only on ESPN 3 as were 2 of the quarterfinals. The other 2 quarterfinals were on ESPN and ESPN 2. One semifinal was on ESPN2 and the other on ESPNU while the championship was on ESPN2. ESPNU/ESPNnews had about 8 Big Ten hockey games on this past season. I don't believe the NCHC TV deal with CBSSN allows for our games to be televised by ESPN. The NCAA hockey tournament had 5 1st round games on ESPNU, 1 on ESPN 2, and 2 on ESPN 3. The 2nd round games were 3 on ESPNU and 1 on ESPN 2 while both Frozen Four semifinals were on ESPN2 and the National Championship was on ESPN.

And how do the ratings for those games compare?

The "they" you are talking about are the Elders only, not the SR people! Get your facts right before you blame innocent people!

The "they" I refer to is the SR Tribal council. The people voted them in but wasn't heard because of the selected council.

Those of you pushing "moving on" could find a better mode than forcing in a new nickname.  In fact the effect of doing so may be opposite your desired outcome.  In other words, a new nickname could make "Fighting Sioux" supporters even more resolute instead of easing the transition.

If you are fighting the fight to move on, UND itself is working against you by perpetuating the Fighting Sioux brand in the REA Sioux shop.  So anyone who places importance on moving on could aim their activism in that direction instead.

Those of you pushing "moving on" could find a better mode than forcing in a new nickname. In fact the effect of doing so may be opposite your desired outcome. In other words, a new nickname could make "Fighting Sioux" supporters even more resolute instead of easing the transition.

If you are fighting the fight to move on, UND itself is working against you by perpetuating the Fighting Sioux brand in the REA Sioux shop. So anyone who places importance on moving on could aim their activism in that direction instead.

You do know UND has to produce Fighting Sioux gear or else they lose the trademark.

They have to maintain the trademark per the settlement. Could you imagine if they lost the trademark on the Fighting Sioux symbolism? You think it's hard to try and get a new nickname now. Very few would be buying anything actually produced by the university.

They have to maintain the trademark per the settlement. Could you imagine if they lost the trademark on the Fighting Sioux symbolism? You think it's hard to try and get a new nickname now. Very few would be buying anything actually produced by the university.

Exactly right. It's important to control it lest someone else gets a hold of it and does who knows what with 80 years of our school's proud history.