SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

Maybe it is time to consider trimming some sports to make the other programs stronger? I am all for that, despite how many baseball alums will complain about their sport being cut.

Or what about a non Big Sky sport such as swimming and diving? My guese would be that little to no revenue is produced here. Seems like it would make sense for title 9 since both men and women participate.

More alibis and excuses. Do you REALLY think we can't raise the money for this? Cripes, the Alumni Association raised over $300 million to establish an endowment. If they can do that, then they sure as heck can do this. But it all starts at the top and that has to start with the President and then the Athletic Director. NDSU has that leadership and we do not. Period. End of story. All the positive things you pointed out will be cancelled out if we don't rise to the occasion on FCOA.

I never said I didn't think UND could raise the money, so I don't know where you got that I thought that.  You're sure speaking as if UND not having FCOA is a done deal and we're wallowing in defeat.  Give it some freaking time.

For once, JUST ONCE, I would like this institution to be ahead of the curve instead of always playing catch-up and second-fiddle to the freaking Bison. But I suppose the Vikings have a better chance if winning the Super Bowl this year.

And I don't care what other schools do on this. I care about what UND does on this. And I would like to be a trend-setter in collegiate athletics for once. But I suppose that won't happen until we get a new President in office. And I really hope that person understands what athletics can do for a university, because I don't think Kelley gets it.

As you stated, you don't care what other schools do on this... then your original rant must have been a bit of bad timing as it happened to randomly coincide with an announcement from another school.  Your point of not caring would have been a lot more believable if you didn't constantly compare UND to NDSU. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I never said I didn't think UND could raise the money, so I don't know where you got that I thought that.  You're sure speaking as if UND not having FCOA is a done deal and we're wallowing in defeat.  Give it some freaking time.

As you stated, you don't care what other schools do on this... then your original rant must have been a bit of bad timing as it happened to randomly coincide with an announcement from another school.  Your point of not caring would have been a lot more believable if you didn't constantly compare UND to NDSU. 

I suspect his rant came about because the clock has run out on UND to be a leader on the FCOA issue and he really wants to see UND be leading the way on these kind of things.  

• Upvote 1

The time and commitment the UND athletes make (and are "required" to commit) is HUGE!!!  That is time on top of their classes, homework, eating and sleeping.  I agree with the comment in the article that these student athletes can't get a job during the season (which is pretty much full time, year round now days). 

IMO, UND cannot take the wait and see on this.  IF UND wants to compete on a serious level, then they need to do this for all sports (football, volleyball, basketball, softball etc are all important to the university, not just hockey) .  I hope that Bubba is voicing his opinion.  He just got here and the entire coaching staff has been busting their butts to turn this football program around with recruiting and building the program back up.  Not offering FCOA in going to be a step backwards.

Isn't UNDs "FCOA"  nearly double that of NDSU? 

Meaning UND could offer a star recruit $6,000 and NDSU could only offer $3,000?

"so what is the bigger draw"? 

My understanding is that UND's FCOA will be slightly higher than NDSU's but not much ($3,600-$3,800 I think).  There was some issues with the formulas as they were previously presented but it was never looked into at the time as it wasn't really a relevant number used for much of anything (at least in terms of athletics).

For once, JUST ONCE, I would like this institution to be ahead of the curve instead of always playing catch-up and second-fiddle to the freaking Bison. But I suppose the Vikings have a better chance if winning the Super Bowl this year.

Well, UND was the first area school to state they would be offering FCOA in sports where their competitors were (and corresponding offerings on the women's side).  Now that NDSU has made an announcement to do it across the board, UND will likely have to re-adjust their strategy as other competitors have changed the landscape.

When Faison is quoted in the Heraldo that UND is planning on funding all 18 men's hockey scholarships and an equal number of women's scholarships and then hints at possible "cuts" in the future, that doesn't sound good to me.

What I meant was that I don't care if most of the other FCS schools decide not to do this, I still want UND to do it so that we become a leader and trend setter in mid-major collegiate athletics instead of being in wanna-be, catch-up mode all the time. And like it or not, what happens with NDSU has an impact on UND and vice-versa. We either accept that and rise to the challenge or we sink into permanent mediocrity. I know which path I want to take.

Well, UND was the first area school to state they would be offering FCOA in sports where their competitors were (and corresponding offerings on the women's side).  Now that NDSU has made an announcement to do it across the board, UND will likely have to re-adjust their strategy as other competitors have changed the landscape.

UND made a half-arsed effort at addressing the issue, while NDSU is tackling the issue head-on and making no bones about the fact that they want to be the best they can be at whatever sports they sponsor. As for UND "re-adjusting their strategy", I guess I am not going to assume that until I see concrete steps towards achieving that objective.

When Faison is quoted in the Heraldo that UND is planning on funding all 18 men's hockey scholarships and an equal number of women's scholarships and then hints at possible "cuts" in the future, that doesn't sound good to me.

Cuts very well may have to be made to do it.  Did you not see the difference in scholarships offered by UND and NDSU?  It only gets larger when you look at total sports and participation numbers.  UND sponsors a lot more non-revenue sports, offering more opportunities for student-athletes (and also the reason UND has a higher subsidy level).  While not the ideal situation, at some point, trimming a sport or two is a very possible and logical response to this.

Said awhile back it would be nice for UND to get out in front of this. Hats off to NDSU for  raising the bar for the rest of us. I'm against dropping sports but I was looking at the sports UND offered vs. NDSU and the difference besides hockey and wrestling is really m&w Swimming and Diving and m&w tennis. If those were cut would that make the difference? i love that UND offers 20 plus sports but I would rather be really good in 15-16 sports like NDSU than good, average and awful spread out in 20 plus sports. Hockey basketball football volleyball baseball soccer t&f softball golf & cross country. There is 15 sports UND can put money towards and see good return.

preferably UND could do this without cutting but if this situation played out and we could offer $6000 FCOA vs. NDSUs $3500 I would support it and so would my dollars.

Cuts very well may have to be made to do it.  Did you not see the difference in scholarships offered by UND and NDSU?  It only gets larger when you look at total sports and participation numbers.  UND sponsors a lot more non-revenue sports, offering more opportunities for student-athletes (and also the reason UND has a higher subsidy level).  While not the ideal situation, at some point, trimming a sport or two is a very possible and logical response to this.

Oh, I agree with you, trimming some sports will have to be part of the equation. I am more than willing to do that. I just don't want us to keep all sports and then make across-the-board budget cuts to all the non-hockey sports (you know hockey won't feel the blade at all). I would rather have fewer, but successful programs than more, but mediocre to average programs.

What I meant was that I don't care if most of the other FCS schools decide not to do this, I still want UND to do it so that we become a leader and trend setter in mid-major collegiate athletics instead of being in wanna-be, catch-up mode all the time. And like it or not, what happens with NDSU has an impact on UND and vice-versa. We either accept that and rise to the challenge or we sink into permanent mediocrity. I know which path I want to take.

Here is the article you continue to reference.  A couple interesting quotes in here from Faison-

“I think all of our student athletes are important and I think they serve a mission for the university,” Faison said. “Certainly when programs can advance and get on the national stage I think there are tremendous opportunities for the institution to have exposure as well."

Sounds familiar.

“We're going to have to generate more revenue or we're going to have to make some cuts,” he said.

But Faison wasn’t very worried about this initial change.

“The potential to offset this immediately is there without having to take a drastic step in terms of some kind of programmatic cuts … but we're not going to know that until we get these numbers down,” he said.

I'm guessing they looked at the numbers.  Faison actually throws an idea out on how they will raise additional funds.

Faison said social media has become a large part of the Athletics Department and that, coupled with recent efforts to increase merchandise sales at games, will hopefully help fund the new amended grant-in-aid.

Where have we heard about the importance of merchandise sales before.  I'd say the interlocking ND is tapped out but maybe if there was something else we could put on jerseys, t-shirts, sweatshirts, beer mugs, etc. it would create more revenue than we currently bring in due to merchandise sales.  Does this play into fear mongering or is this another fact on why picking another new nickname is actually important?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3725957-und-pay-some-student-athletes-cost-attendance-and-some-living-expenses

• Upvote 2

UND absolutely needs to match whatever NDSU is providing for FCOA.  I think we can all agree on that.  But will this athletic department finally step up and support other sports, especially football, they way they deserve to be treated and not just second string to hockey.  I have to think NDSU and ND's athletic budgets are pretty similar.  I guess we will wait and see at 10:00am to see what UND's next move will be.

Maybe we should switch our Title 9 policy to mirror that of NDSU.

Said awhile back it would be nice for UND to get out in front of this. Hats off to NDSU for  raising the bar for the rest of us. I'm against dropping sports but I was looking at the sports UND offered vs. NDSU and the difference besides hockey and wrestling is really m&w Swimming and Diving and m&w tennis. If those were cut would that make the difference? i love that UND offers 20 plus sports but I would rather be really good in 15-16 sports like NDSU than good, average and awful spread out in 20 plus sports. Hockey basketball football volleyball baseball soccer t&f softball golf & cross country. There is 15 sports UND can put money towards and see good return.

preferably UND could do this without cutting but if this situation played out and we could offer $6000 FCOA vs. NDSUs $3500 I would support it and so would my dollars.

Before everyone gets all in ahuff that UND didn't beat NDSU to the punch on this issue and claims we are one step behind them once again, this may actually be a time where it might be good to let NDSU make the first move and see what they are planning to do.  It's not like UND has not already discusses this issue.  And it's not like we are 2 years down the road and not offering FCOA.  Let NDSU make their announcement, see how much they are offering, and make an informed decision.  Just make that decision sooner rather than later!!

• Upvote 1

The only thing stopping UND from taking this path is You.  Get out your checkbook and send Faison the money today and I'm sure he could make the announcement tomorrow.

I was waiting for this red herring to be brought up. FYI, I am a Champions Club member (Coaches Club) and a season ticket holder to men's hockey and football. So please don't go there with the "you aren't practicing what you preach" garbage. FCOA will require a whole new fundraising effort from people that are not giving at all right now. I am willing to fork over more to help make it happen, but this is a whole new category of expenditure and needs to be treated that way.

Here is the article you continue to reference.  A couple interesting quotes in here from Faison-

Sounds familiar.

I'm guessing they looked at the numbers.  Faison actually throws an idea out on how they will raise additional funds.

Where have we heard about the importance of merchandise sales before.  I'd say the interlocking ND is tapped out but maybe if there was something else we could put on jerseys, t-shirts, sweatshirts, beer mugs, etc. it would create more revenue than we currently bring in due to merchandise sales.  Does this play into fear mongering or is this another fact on why picking another new nickname is actually important?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3725957-und-pay-some-student-athletes-cost-attendance-and-some-living-expenses

"We know we'll have it for the fall, we just don't exactly know what the dollar amounts are going to be yet,” he said.

So am I to assume we will be hearing something soon?

Before everyone gets all in ahuff that UND didn't beat NDSU to the punch on this issue and claims we are one step behind them once again, this may actually be a time where it might be good to let NDSU make the first move and see what they are planning to do.  It's not like UND has not already discusses this issue.  And it's not like we are 2 years down the road and not offering FCOA.  Let NDSU make their announcement, see how much they are offering, and make an informed decision.  Just make that decision sooner rather than later!!

That's what UND said about moving to Division I. 

I've always believed NDSU would take full advantage of this opportunity.  I would have been surprised if they didn't.  So I hope UND has been preparing for this move by NDSU, and what will likely follow from other schools.  I think there will be a handful of other FCS schools that follow suit.  I hope UND has known this was a distinct possibility and has a plan in place to act rather quickly. 

Just listening to an interview with Matt Larsen on KFGO, its a little deceiving as he stated NDSU does not fully have the funds to do this right now and they will admittedly have challenges in raising that money.  You wouldn't get that from any of the articles or comments out on this today but it came from him on the Jack Michaels show.  Now what they do have is a couple big donations and are raising awareness on what this additional cost is to help raise the rest of the money.  That is where they are smart, get the need out there, paint the picture and have your fanbase step up.  That is the message UND and Faison should follow this up with.  "We can do it but we need a little more help."

If anything, NDSU doing it today maybe causes people to up there donations or start donating.  UND just needs to push it.