SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

I don't think anyone really knows but it could be tonight. I personally think they should get down to 2 names tonight and get it to a vote in mid August.

I'm pretty sure they'll wait for students to be back in classes before any kind of vote takes place.

I'm pretty sure they'll wait for students to be back in classes before any kind of vote takes place.

It will be interesting to see if they try to imlement the new name immediately, or if that would happen the following school year. I would assume it would wait a year as they will still need to create a logo and it impacts jerseys, apparel, venues, etc.

...unless they just stay UND :)

It will be interesting to see if they try to imlement the new name immediately, or if that would happen the following school year. I would assume it would wait a year as they will still need to create a logo and it impacts jerseys, apparel, venues, etc.

...unless they just stay UND :)

They need the logo, ZERO chance this gets done before August 24, the first day of classes.  I could see maybe a Jan 1,2016 rollout date however if things went right.

They need the logo, ZERO chance this gets done before August 24, the first day of classes.  I could see maybe a Jan 1,2016 rollout date however if things went right.

More or less, what I was getting at. I just meant, I wonder if they would try to implement something in the middle of an athletic season, or if they would want to wait until August 2016. I guess we'll see.

More or less, what I was getting at. I just meant, I wonder if they would try to implement something in the middle of an athletic season, or if they would want to wait until August 2016. I guess we'll see.

http://www.muredhawks.com/trads/mioh-nickname.html

Looks like it took Miami OH under 3 months after the name was selected to implement it.  Of course getting it on the jerseys would take a little longer. 

I agree.  Without the student's input, all H.E. double hockey sticks would break out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they did not use some kind of a direct mailing push or other means to get ballots to alumni around the world, too. That would take time to set up and tabulate.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did not use some kind of a direct mailing push or other means to get ballots to alumni around the world, too. That would take time to set up and tabulate.

Maybe a hybrid between direct mail/online?  Either one would be a good way to do outreach to the alumni... 

Maybe a hybrid between direct mail/online?  Either one would be a good way to do outreach to the alumni... 

I think the Alumni Review magazine, alone, goes to more than 80,000 UND alumni right now!  It would be a big undertaking.  How ever it's done, they need to make sure that it's a secure process.  

Agreed, maybe setup a secure voting portal. Mail login information to all alumni. Let them vote. Could do the same with season ticket holders and something similar for students through the U-Mail.

Keep finding ways to draw out an already drawn out and over-extended process. Awesome. 

referring to? the voting process? If so, I agree this has been a terrible process to this point, but if the voting piece is drawn out a bit, that at least makes sense. That is the part they need to make sure is executed correctly.

Keep finding ways to draw out an already drawn out and over-extended process. Awesome. 

Once the decision was made to put this to a public vote, they have an obligation to make sure only UND stakeholders are allowed to vote.  This is the one area where they definitely should be "drawing out" the process and make sure they get it right.

• Upvote 1

I'm with both MKSioux and Siouxfan512 on this.  To make it more legitimate, we do have to have a vote and it should only include stakeholders. 

Yeah, it draws out the process even more.  But, if this doesn't happen, the buy in on the new name, no matter what is chosen, is in danger. 

Once the decision was made to put this to a public vote, they have an obligation to make sure only UND stakeholders are allowed to vote.  This is the one area where they definitely should be "drawing out" the process and make sure they get it right.

Included:  Current students, alumni, faculty, employees, season-ticket holders/donors. 

Excluded: GF/EGF residents outside the above groups, ND taxpayers outside the above groups.  

Am I missing anyone? 

Included:  Current students, alumni, faculty, employees, season-ticket holders/donors. 

Excluded: GF/EGF residents outside the above groups, ND taxpayers outside the above groups.  

Am I missing anyone? 

I could live with those folks being considered stakeholders.  My ideal group would exclude season ticket holders, but I could live with their inclusion. 

I could live with those folks being considered stakeholders.  My ideal group would exclude season ticket holders, but I could live with their inclusion. 

I think you have to be a donor at some level to even hold season tickets anymore, at least for hockey and football.  Should non-alumni donors to academic programs have a say?  I would error on the side of yes.