SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

Alright.  Detroit for five games.....

We almost got healthy.....then we didn't.  Let's go 4-1 in this stretch.  Likely no Arraez tomorrow or Kepler for the double header.  

1. Polanco-SS.  2.  Donaldson-3B. 3. Cruz-DH 4. Eddie-LF 5. Sano-1B.  6. Adrianza 2B. 7. Marwin-RF 8. Buck-CF 9. Jeff -C.  Dobnak on the mound.

Rested bully.....momentum might be back.  Get two wins tomorrow. 

Astudillo is back up with the club today.  Kepler to the IL.  And one of the young outfield products finally gets called up.  Not the one everyone wants, but it'll be nice to see what Rooker can do.

Thinking that Willans catches game two.....stay tuned. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Astudillo is back up with the club today.  Kepler to the IL.  And one of the young outfield products finally gets called up.  Not the one everyone wants, but it'll be nice to see what Rooker can do.

Thinking that Willans catches game two.....stay tuned. 

I don’t think Alex shows up until they make a decision on Rosario.  

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Woof......boy does Sano go on streaks.....

You can throw Rosario and to a lesser extent Buxton on that streakness level.    The frustrating thing with Sano is that he could be so much better at the plate and be more consistent.  

I loved the 2015 version of Sano.  Yes he struck out a lot still but he had much better discipline at the plate.  I don't know if he could get back to that.  

The problem this causes the brain trust is this:  Can you live with this version of Sano?  Where the hot streaks are HOT and the cold streaks are COLD? The next wave is knocking at the door with Alex, Royce, and Brent.  Some tough choices are going to be made and made soon.  

Oh, and I do like the Jeffers kid behind the plate.   A short sample size here but Berrios two best starts were when he was catching. 

On 9/4/2020 at 9:46 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

I wish they could have mixed up the schedules a little more.  I saw that Toronto hasn't even played the Yankees yet, nearly 40 games in.

So nearly half of their final games are against them.

That's silly. 

Just as silly that the Twins had to play the Royals 10 times in 17 games. 

IMHO a better idea would have been going with four or even five game series between teams for every series.  Then give teams a day off to move/clean/safely travel, then start up another one.  Rotating through all the teams in division and geographically close by and spreading out head to head match-ups.  

The Twins going to St. Louis for one day to play a double header whether you are a social distancing person or not doesn't make any sense. 

After the Twins stole a couple games the last couple days it looks they will let a 4 run lead going to the 6th slip away. Bullpen was brutal today with May, Duffey, and Romo all struggling. Then Smeltzer entered and again looked like he shouldn't be up. I'd think they would give a guy like Duran or Chalmers a shot over the garbage Smeltzer throws up there soon.

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

After the Twins stole a couple games the last couple days it looks they will let a 4 run lead going to the 6th slip away. Bullpen was brutal today with May, Duffey, and Romo all struggling. Then Smeltzer entered and again looked like he shouldn't be up. I'd think they would give a guy like Duran or Chalmers a shot over the garbage Smeltzer throws up there soon.

Smeltzer is meat.  He should only pitch when its 4 or more runs either way.

Rosario is Rosario.

Why Rocco doesn't put flipping Cabrera on base with a base open.....doesn't need to even be held on because he can't run.  Let him hit and he drives in runs. 

59 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Smeltzer is meat.  He should only pitch when its 4 or more runs either way.

Rosario is Rosario.

Why Rocco doesn't put flipping Cabrera on base with a base open.....doesn't need to even be held on because he can't run.  Let him hit and he drives in runs. 

Rocco absolutely puzzles me with a lot of what he does. Like pinch running Cave for Rooker in the 5th yesterday or some of his bullpen decisions last week. More often than not I'm not a fan of decisions he makes.

Despite the home run not a good day for Rosario running through the stop sign with nobody out in an inning where you really could've broke the game open and then not knowing the ground rules allowing Schoop to take 3rd on his hit.

47 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Rocco absolutely puzzles me with a lot of what he does. Like pinch running Cave for Rooker in the 5th yesterday or some of his bullpen decisions last week. More often than not I'm not a fan of decisions he makes.

Despite the home run not a good day for Rosario running through the stop sign with nobody out in an inning where you really could've broke the game open and then not knowing the ground rules allowing Schoop to take 3rd on his hit.

I'm lost on Rocco.  Guy that is so about the statistics and playing percentages.  Then when it comes to bullpen decisions in a close game in the 8th you have Smeltzer in to pitch.  Fine, he hasn't gone in a while.  Schoop makes him pay, Rosario is stupid.....Cabrera up.....open base.....we are really letting our worst lefty pitch to a future hall of famer with a base open?  We shift, leave whole areas of the field open, leadoff with Sano, rarely hit and run....but don't put guys on. 

Alright, wanted 4-1 vs. Detroit so I'll be happy they got it.  Weird homestand.  Could of swept Chicago, could have swept Detroit, then again they could of easily went 2-3 against Detroit.

Quick trip to St. Louis before two off days.  Throw the sink at the cards tomorrow.  

22 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm lost on Rocco.  Guy that is so about the statistics and playing percentages.  Then when it comes to bullpen decisions in a close game in the 8th you have Smeltzer in to pitch.  Fine, he hasn't gone in a while.  Schoop makes him pay, Rosario is stupid.....Cabrera up.....open base.....we are really letting our worst lefty pitch to a future hall of famer with a base open?  We shift, leave whole areas of the field open, leadoff with Sano, rarely hit and run....but don't put guys on. 

Cave pushes a bunt to the left side today for an easy hit.  He was up in the ninth yesterday with a man on first, nobody out, down by two.  Defense was completed shifted around.  Why in God's name do you do the push bunt today and not yesterday when it was so obviously needed and appropriate.  I really don't get Rocco's decision half the time.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Pineda has been a godsend to this rotation.

Two great starts so far.

A Maeda-Berrios-Pineda rotation in the Playoff would be pretty solid. 

Was great last year too. When they lost Pineda the chance to beat the Yanks really went out the window last year. If Berrios can continue to find his command as we go on here we could actually have the makings of a legit rotation heading into the playoffs.