SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

The Twins are only 4 wins shy of Houston.  Very small chance they could grab the #2 seed but with the teams they play these next 9 games its possible.

Houston has the Royals, Mariners, Diamondbacks.  

Mariners have 6 with Texas and 3 with Houston. 

Texas has 6 with Mariners, 3 with Anaheim.

Toronto has 5 with Tampa, 4 with the Yankees.  

• Upvote 1

If it ended today the Twins would be hosting the Astros.  Crazy how much movement there is likely to be.  You could see the Astros not make it with their remaining schedule after the Royals.

The Rangers just got swept in Cleveland, yet lead the AL West.

I know it's celebratory at the moment, get the guys rest that need it, but keep playing baseball.  Win 4 of these 5 home games and you've got a great chance for a first round bye. 

• Upvote 1

Not exactly sure how Omaha got the College World Series...every year but instead of building TD Ameritrade Park they should've built brick for brick either Forbes Field or Ebbets Field.

Forbes_Field_about_1963.jpg

ebbets16_top.jpg

another great idea for ya........

All of those old baseball stadiums that have been torn over the years should be rebuilt in cities for minor league baseball triple A clubs?

Forbes Field

Ebbets Field

Original Comiskey

Tiger Stadium

Polo Grounds

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

if my math is correct, this is how the Twins did this season against other AL playoff teams:

Houston 4-2
Seattle 3-4
Toronto 3-3
Tampa Bay 1-5
Baltimore 2-4
Texas 5-2

I mean it's the old addage, you've got to beat every one.  I don't think they should be uncomfortable playing any of these teams.  There isn't a giant killer team of any of these teams like a Yankees of the past.  Any of these teams could represent the AL in the series. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:26 AM, sioux rube said:

if my math is correct, this is how the Twins did this season against other AL playoff teams:

Houston 4-2
Seattle 3-4
Toronto 3-3
Tampa Bay 1-5
Baltimore 2-4
Texas 5-2

I was at the Baltimore series just before the All Star break.  That was a shellacking of the highest order, so Twins are probably due to return the favor if they somehow met up with the Orioles.  I'd love to see Seattle edge out the Astros, but don't think that's in the cards.  Hoping to catch one of the Twins Rockies games this weekend before getting back to MN for the wild card series.

Pull for the Astros and Angels tonight. That sets up the possibility for the Twins to grab the 2 seed if they can win out.  At that point, would need Seattle to take 3 of 4 from Texas and D-Backs take 2 of 3 from Houston.  That would leave Texas and the Twins tied at 89-73 with Twins holding the tiebreaker.

Of all the remaining teams I'd love to see Houston get knocked out for obvious reasons.

Very important that Houston clinches nothing before the last game and Verlander has to pitch on Sunday.  That way he's spent until at least Thursday and can't make a Tuesday appearance. 

Verlander pitches on Saturday I'm told, so hopefully all involved do enough winning to make it worth his while to pitch that day.

I think being the 6th seed in the playoffs is a bit more attractive than being the 5th.  Most teams would rather play the Twins than the Rays. 

As it stands today.  Baltimore, Tampa, and the Twins have all clinched the postseason.  If Texas gets swept in Seattle they're likely out.    

1. Baltimore
2. Texas
3. Twins
4. Rays
5. Blue Jays
6. Astros
7. Mariners (1.5 back of the Astros)    

The American League Central champion Twins will be the No. 3 seed in the American League playoff bracket and will host a best-of-three wild-card series at Target Field next week against the No. 6 seed; the final wild-card team is not yet decided. Here's the schedule:

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-twins-playoff-schedule-wild-card-tickets-target-field-mlb-postseason/600308590/?fbclid=IwAR3a13J6AOpzGKwDtueXSJaBWnppoZuADvFY9viqVylzG87eSeBOs2r3QxA_aem_AXyznlObndPMsnoVoLHwRSqOpCEQKn6kC_GQhpZRdBSmOYqD5T-P6hcXbk0VSj0At88&clmob=y&c=n&clmob=y&c=n&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

José Berríos, you might be thinking, or Paul Molitor, or maybe Jack Morris, or Dave Winfield. Dave McKay, if you really want to go back in history, and yes, we aretrying to help all you Immaculate Grid players out there get ready for the Minnesota-Toronto Wild Card Series with a few players who have seen this one from both sides. (Our personal favorite: Nelson Liriano.)

It is, in our estimation, the most interesting of the four Wild Card Series, not just because of the players involved, but because of how evenly matched these clubs are. Each side has outstanding pitching. Each side has a star bat or two not exactly performing like a star bat. If not easy to predict, it will certainly be fun to watch.

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-blue-jays-2023-wild-card-series-position-by-position-breakdown

Need someone to step up and be Kirby Puckett.  Put the team on your back and get the job done.

Through the entire losing streak how many clutch moments have there been from players in a Twins uniform? Early in the game tomorrow someone will have a big at bat with ducks on the pond, and they've got to set the precedent and get the job done.

• Upvote 1