SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-10) @ SAC (11-3)

SWSiouxMN

Again, we took more 3 point shots than 2 point shots in the first half. Being out rebounded 22-15, they have 9 offensive boards.....

For the game UND jacked up 22 3s making just 6. 17 for 29 inside the arc. Got out rebounded 33-30.

For the game UND jacked up 22 3s making just 6. 17 for 29 inside the arc. Got out rebounded 33-30.

In conference play, this team is 5th in 3 pt attempts, and dead last in 3 pt percentage. De Rouen is particularly maddening. He's hoisted up 83 treys on the year, 2nd most on the team, but is hitting just 30%. If he didn't foul out so often, he would probably chuck a lot more up there. Some of these guys just need to accept the fact that long range shooting is just not part of there game.

In conference play, this team is 5th in 3 pt attempts, and dead last in 3 pt percentage. De Rouen is particularly maddening. He's hoisted up 83 treys on the year, 2nd most on the team, but is hitting just 30%. If he didn't foul out so often, he would probably chuck a lot more up there. Some of these guys just need to accept the fact that long range shooting is just not part of there game.

gfhockey is accurate in the fact that most guys that see the floor on this team " just ball".

I like to refer to it as the "noon ball" offense.

Couple that with the slouchy shoulders and "poopy diaper" optics that the head coach displays from the bench on a nightly basis, and you have yourself a leader of men. 

I heard there was quite the scene that transpired in the locker room at halftime against Montana State last week.  There were no repercussions again as always.  Business as usual to start the 2nd half.

Hopefully there aren't any eligibility issues next season.

9 years in the making.....exciting stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Jones is not a leader and that is the issue. If UND men's basketball will win, it will be despite of Jones and his insufficiency in the motivation department, and only based entirely on the players' pure talents.

One thing that is troubling is the stretch Jones put together from 2010-2014. In 2010, Jones put together a talented freshman class including Huff, Webb, Anderson, and Schuler. As the years went on, the team performed THE EXACT SAME! There was zero improvement; thus, the coaching/teaching was nonexistent. The team had just as many wins in 2010 - 2011 as they had in 2013-2014 (if not more).

Jones doesn't have it and UND could do MUCH better with a different head coach and better leader/teacher. Players don't improve under Jones' tutelage.

Shanks 0 points again and Tyler 0 points. That sums it up. This team plays everyone very tough but continues to lose. Time to get next years players more time and experience.

Next years players are already playing and gaining experience. Nash is the only senior getting playing time...

I like to refer to it as the "noon ball" offense.

Couple that with the slouchy shoulders and "poopy diaper" optics that the head coach displays from the bench on a nightly basis, and you have yourself a leader of men.

I heard there was quite the scene that transpired in the locker room at halftime against Montana State last week. There were no repercussions again as always. Business as usual to start the 2nd half.

Hopefully there aren't any eligibility issues next season.

9 years in the making.....exciting stuff.

Not surprised at the halftime locker room blowup, par for the course. Even less surprised that the player started the 2nd half and there were zero repercussions.

What kind of a message does that send to the rest of the team?

This team hasn't run an offense for 9 years. Out shooting your opponent is the only way you even have a chance to win playing this way.

There's no communication on defense, either. Sac state runs actual plays with good ball movement- they had open shots all night.

I've said it before and agree with it being brought up again here earlier today-- there's little to no improvement over the course of a career here. We saw evidence of that over the previous 4 years.

Not surprised at the halftime locker room blowup, par for the course. Even less surprised that the player started the 2nd half and there were zero repercussions.

I heard about the locker room incident and a lot of that happened in the prior 4 years with no ramification against the player.  

Fill us in - what happened?

Jones has been excellent in Big Sky play prior to this rebuild season.

Excellent? UND went 1-3 against Montana and 0-6 versus Weber State during the first two Big Sky Conference seasons. Also, considering it was the junior and senior seasons of Huff, Schuler, Webb, and Anderson, UND should have performed better than those players and Jones did in 2010-2011, when all those players were freshmen. No improvement at all for Jones' squad.

Ultimately, in their first two Big Sky Conference seasons, UND MBB was not good versus OOC competition and against top tier BSC teams.

Hoopster - I'm on your side as far as looking for positives - it's a game played by 18-21 year old student athletes - there are bright spots in every season - thanks for seeing them. 

"Sprinkles are for winners".

• Upvote 1

IMO, UND's Big Sky performance in 2012-13 was better than 2013-14. In 2012-13, there were two legitimately good teams, and then everybody else. In its first year, UND managed to be the best of everybody else and finished with a 12-8 conference record. I felt like that was a reasonably successful debut, although there may have been some disappointment given the fact that UND had beaten Montana, the conference champion, in 2011-12 but was winless against Montana and Weber in 2012-13.

Last year, the league arguably didn't have any really good teams, and UND returned essentially everybody (although obviously Brekke was lost early on). I would argue that UND really should have been able to improve upon its 12-8 record from the year before, but it did not. And at worst, UND should have managed to finish the regular season alone in second place, rather than being part of a three-way tie. And it would have, but for the end-of-the-season loss at SUU--a team that finished 1-19 in the league.

• Upvote 3

for those of the lower IQ UND Tied for 2nd and placed 3rd in the Big Sky the prior 2 years...

Always urged to redundantly mention your superior IQ; not surprising.

Perhaps you could enlighten us in terms of the dynamics regarding the relationship of IQ scores and college basketball coaching assessments?

for those of the lower IQ UND Tied for 2nd and placed 3rd in the Big Sky the prior 2 years...

24-16 yeah excellent.  Of course that meaning nothing without banners, and this year we don't even get a tournament bid unless we run the table. Unlike Bill and Ted....excellent isn't a word I would use.

Jones has been excellent in Big Sky play prior to this rebuild season.

Do games like losing the final league game last season to a winless team and playing a totally heartless, embarrassing game against a former rival in a post-season tournament bother you?  To me, a good, well-coached team doesn't put in those kind of efforts.  While the players were the ones with the lousy efforts, a good coach instills a work ethic and heart into a team so these types of games do not happen!

Since we're not so subtly insulting people in general now...

Your expectations seem extremely low and you have a blatant loser's mentality.  There seems to be a very blurred line between positivity and reality with you.

Sadly, you also seem to think that on the court results are all that matter.  I think that's only a 1/3 of the problem for most people on here if you haven't been paying attention.

Lastly, you are in the VAST minority on this topic.  We agree to disagree.

Now, you were saying about us "lower IQ" folks, etc?...

• Upvote 2

Since we're not so subtly insulting people in general now...

Your expectations seem extremely low and you have a blatant loser's mentality.  There seems to be a very blurred line between positivity and reality with you.

Sadly, you also seem to think that on the court results are all that matter.  I think that's only a 1/3 of the problem for most people on here if you haven't been paying attention.

Lastly, you are in the VAST minority on this topic.  We agree to disagree.

Now, you were saying about us "lower IQ" folks, etc?...

How dare you speak to Mrs. Jones that way?  ;)

• Upvote 2