SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance Issues

Cratter

In the BESC vs. REA thread, jdub27 brought up the fact that there are a lot of fans that like to take in both hockey and basketball on Saturday. In fact, these double header days are some of my favorites.

This season men's basketball attendance on days that hockey was also playing that night was 2,065. On days that it was the only game in town, the average was 1,650.

I've read that students get some sort of priority seating deal for hockey if they come to the basketball game on these days? Why couldn't something like that be done for the general public? Short of simply packaging a basketball ticket with a single game hockey ticket, you could offer a reduced price for the hockey game if you show your basketball ticket or vice versa. Or offer a great deal on tix to a hockey game or two if you buy basketball season tix. Perhaps offer basketball and football season tickets as bundle at reduced price.

I would like to see them get a little creative. The Big Game plan has been fairly successful. Those games averaged 1,907 this year. Granted, two of those games were hockey days as well.

He about a football, basketball, hockey trippleheader and get discounts, and priority seating etc for hockey if you attend the other two. Football at noon, bball at 4:30 hockey 7:30 or 8.

I've read that students get some sort of priority seating deal for hockey if they come to the basketball game on these days?  Why couldn't something like that be done for the general public?  Short of simply packaging a basketball ticket with a single game hockey ticket, you could offer a reduced price for the hockey game if you show your basketball ticket or vice versa.  Or offer a great deal on tix to a hockey game or two if you buy basketball season tix.  Perhaps offer basketball and football season tickets as bundle at reduced price. 

I would like to see them get a little creative.  The Big Game plan has been fairly successful.  Those games averaged 1,907 this year.  Granted, two of those games were hockey days as well. 

They do actually offer a couple bucks off Saturday basketball games if you show your hockey ticket (can't remember if its Friday or Saturday's or doesn't matter).  I've heard them announce it at the hockey games Friday nights and have seen people use it at the ticket off Saturday afternoons.  Don't think its more than $2 or something but I think its at least a start to you're idea.

They do actually offer a couple bucks off Saturday basketball games if you show your hockey ticket (can't remember if its Friday or Saturday's or doesn't matter).  I've heard them announce it at the hockey games Friday nights and have seen people use it at the ticket off Saturday afternoons.  Don't think its more than $2 or something but I think its at least a start to you're idea.

Well shoot I've been getting hosed all this time! 

I have never been to a Friday hockey game because I split my season tix with another family, so I was unaware.

$5 (assuming $2 off of a $7 seat) to get into a DI basketball game.  That's pretty cheap entertainment. 

For the 4th time in 8 seasons, the women's attendance was higher than the men's this season.

I don't mean this as a slight in any way against the women's program, they are obviously very deserving of the support they get, but this really shouldn't be the case.  Putting a consistent winner on the floor on the men's side would do wonders for attendance.

UND is the only school in the Big Sky where the women outdrew the men.

The men fell to 4th place in attendence this year, surpassed by Eastern Washington.

Women were second only to Montana.

For the 4th time in 8 seasons, the women's attendance was higher than the men's this season.

I don't mean this as a slight in any way against the women's program, they are obviously very deserving of the support they get, but this really shouldn't be the case.  Putting a consistent winner on the floor on the men's side would do wonders for attendance.

UND is the only school in the Big Sky where the women outdrew the men.

The men fell to 4th place in attendence this year, surpassed by Eastern Washington.

Women were second only to Montana.

Quite honestly, if there's any doubt in Faison's mind about Jones' future, this absolutely has to be a big consideration. Nine years ago, a good chunk of the casual fan base had mostly given up on UND men's basketball. Now, what has changed? Nothing in my opinion. UND is losing long-time fans to old age and apathy at a much quicker rate than new fans are being added.

It is kind of interesting to look at how attendance for basketball is trending by looking at the rivalry games from a couple of our border states.

Montana v. Montana St. (Missoula games only)

• 2010-11:  7,312
  • 2011-12:  7,003
  • 2012-13:  6,022
  • 2013-14:  4,606
  • 2014-15:  4,915

South Dakota v. South Dakota St. (Brookings games only)

• 2011-12:  6,216
  • 2012-13:  6,130
  • 2013-14:  5,509
  • 2014-15:  5,354

It is hard to take much from the numbers for the UND-NDSU game, because interestingly each of the 5 games in the DI era has been played in a different venue.  But if you look at only the 3 games played in Fargo.......

North Dakota v. North Dakota St. (Fargo games only)

• 2010-11:  10,709
  • 2012-13:  5,168
  • 2014-15:  4,189

Based on the way attendance is going throughout the enitre region, perhaps UND leaders actually had great foresight to build the Sioux Center with only 3,300 seats.  ;)

Looking at these numbers, I'm not so sure any opponent would bring 5,000+ fans to a game that were played REA next season as we've been discussing in another thread.

It is kind of interesting to look at how attendance for basketball is trending by looking at the rivalry games from a couple of our border states.

Montana v. Montana St. (Missoula games only)

• 2010-11:  7,312
  • 2011-12:  7,003
  • 2012-13:  6,022
  • 2013-14:  4,606
  • 2014-15:  4,915

South Dakota v. South Dakota St. (Brookings games only)

• 2011-12:  6,216
  • 2012-13:  6,130
  • 2013-14:  5,509
  • 2014-15:  5,354

It is hard to take much from the numbers for the UND-NDSU game, because interestingly each of the 5 games in the DI era has been played in a different venue.  But if you look at only the 3 games played in Fargo.......

North Dakota v. North Dakota St. (Fargo games only)

• 2010-11:  10,709
  • 2012-13:  5,168
  • 2014-15:  4,189

Based on the way attendance is going throughout the enitre region, perhaps UND leaders actually had great foresight to build the Sioux Center with only 3,300 seats.  ;)

Looking at these numbers, I'm not so sure any opponent would bring 5,000+ fans to a game that were played REA next season as we've been discussing in another thread.

I cant comment on the marketing department, promotion and ticket packages for Fargo.  But I would guess that has something to do with it.  Seeing the marketing department in action for UND this fall for fanfest, I have to agree with you that they probably could not fill REA.  But, I am going to still advocate for it.  If the coaches believe in the team they have next year, then they should jump on board and try to help get it done.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Attendance for the North Dakota-NDSU game last night was 2,593.

I am quite sure that the crummy weather yesterday affected the turnout, and as we have discussed college basketball attendance has been trending downward in recent years.  

Having said that, as far as I can tell, this was the most poorly attended UND-NDSU basketball game in at least the last 35 years.  Again, probably a variety of factors, but a general low level of interest in the program from the casual fans that live in and near Grand Forks is likely the biggest culprit in my opinion.  

Props to all the great fans and students that did come to the game though.  The atmosphere was outstanding!  In fact, I'd say the Sioux Center was as loud or even louder than I have ever heard it.  One of the reasons that I love that venue so much, once you get about 2,000 in there the place can become very raucous if the crowd is into it.

Despite the frustrating second half collapse, it was an entertaining game down the stretch.  Hopefully the students and casual fans thought so as well and come back once conference play starts up.

I am quite sure that the crummy weather yesterday affected the turnout, and as we have discussed college basketball attendance has been trending downward in recent years.  

Having said that, as far as I can tell, this was the most poorly attended UND-NDSU basketball game in at least the last 35 years.  Again, probably a variety of factors, but a general low level of interest in the program from the casual fans that live in and near Grand Forks is likely the biggest culprit in my opinion.  

Props to all the great fans and students that did come to the game though.  The atmosphere was outstanding!  In fact, I'd say the Sioux Center was as loud or even louder than I have ever heard it.  One of the reasons that I love that venue so much, once you get about 2,000 in there the place can become very raucous if the crowd is into it.

Despite the frustrating second half collapse, it was an entertaining game down the stretch.  Hopefully the students and casual fans thought so as well and come back once conference play starts up.

I was disappointed with the turnout. Still had a lot of fun. Some dbag tried starting something with me which was dumb but I think he had too much to drink.

Looking forward to next year down in Fargo. New venue, and both teams will return pretty much everyone. 

I cant comment on the marketing department, promotion and ticket packages for Fargo.  But I would guess that has something to do with it.  Seeing the marketing department in action for UND this fall for fanfest, I have to agree with you that they probably could not fill REA.  But, I am going to still advocate for it.  If the coaches believe in the team they have next year, then they should jump on board and try to help get it done.

Fans today have to have video boards boards, as they want to be entertained as much or more than watching a game.

Hockey has not falling attendance, because of winning and the Ralph experience.  Agree, fans would go to the Ralph for basketball more than the Betty.

Fans today have to have video boards boards, as they want to be entertained as much or more than watching a game.

Hockey has not falling attendance, because of winning and the Ralph experience.  Agree, fans would go to the Ralph for basketball more than the Betty.

video boards will be installed this summer. 

I thought it was a great college basketball scene last night. Entertaining game to watch. 

the attendance when the two played in the Ralph wasn't anything special and that was the first time playing in Forks in a long time.

I can't imagine people would want to play in the Ralph when they aren't capable of even getting it half full.

the attendance when the two played in the Ralph wasn't anything special and that was the first time playing in Forks in a long time.

I can't imagine people would want to play in the Ralph when they aren't capable of even getting it half full.

8 -10,00 wold be the rule if UND had decent teams, especially on a weekend night.  That's what DII days would bring to the Ralph.

Team played inspired basketball against NDSU, as one would expect considering the atmoshphere.

The loss was tough, considering how UND fought and was playing so well to start the game, but the overall Jones era has left way more to be desired. How much longer is it okay to keep trying the same thing over and over again and yet expect different results? 

What has happened with the football team with the dismissal of Mussman and the hiring of Bubba is a huge driver in my feelings towards this issue. Even though NDSU continues to dominate FCS football, I'm more than content with UND football because I know Bubba has UND football going in the right direction. In just two years, UND improved from 3-8 to 7-4, not to mention they return the majority of the team for 2016.

Basketball needs a shot like this by changing leadership. That's what makes the loss to NDSU so frustrating to watch; the talent is in place to beat NDSU, but the direction of that talent isn't. UND needs to scrap this stale product (Jones) and start anew, just like they did with football, which has given the program and fans a new light. 

• Upvote 1

Team played inspired basketball against NDSU, as one would expect considering the atmoshphere.

The loss was tough, considering how UND fought and was playing so well to start the game, but the overall Jones era has left way more to be desired. How much longer is it okay to keep trying the same thing over and over again and yet expect different results? 

What has happened with the football team with the dismissal of Mussman and the hiring of Bubba is a huge driver in my feelings towards this issue. Even though NDSU continues to dominate FCS football, I'm more than content with UND football because I know Bubba has UND football going in the right direction. In just two years, UND improved from 3-8 to 7-4, not to mention they return the majority of the team for 2016.

Basketball needs a shot like this by changing leadership. That's what makes the loss to NDSU so frustrating to watch; the talent is in place to beat NDSU, but the direction of that talent isn't. UND needs to scrap this stale product (Jones) and start anew, just like they did with football, which has given the program and fans a new light. 

if we can keep our talented players, both proven and the promising newcomers, from defecting through a change in leadership, then im ok with such a move. But remember, we very likely will be letting the whole staff go except for maybe one guy to manage the program in the interim. And we all know how long things took to replace Muss. So my only question is when is the right time to make the move -- mid season or at the end of the season. That's why I get so tired of the incessant "Fire Jones now!" mantra. I personally think it would be pointless to make a move right now. Let's just wait... See what happens and do it when the season is over. Anything less than a BSC championship and a bid to the dance, I think, should met with no new contract for the current staff.  

i just tend to be pretty conservative with most things in life, and , like most North Dakotans, I tend to be averse to change for fear of the unknown. I could be good with this change ; just not now. 

However, I could be swayed with the right  argument. 

Edited by Teeder11

if we can keep our talented players, both proven and the promising newcomers, from defecting through a change in leadership, then im ok with such a move. But remember, we very likely will be letting the whole staff go except for maybe one guy to manage the program in the interim. And we all know how long things took to replace Muss. So my only question is when is the right time to make the move -- mid season or at the end of the season. That's why I get so tired of the incessant "Fire Jones now!" mantra. I personally think it would be pointless to make a move right now. Let's just wait... See what happens and do it when the season is over. Anything less than a BSC championship and a bid to the dance, I think, should met with no new contract for the current staff.  

i just tend to be pretty conservative with most things in life, and , like most North Dakotans, I tend to be averse to change for fear of the unknown. I could be good with this change ; just not now. 

However, I could be swayed with the right  argument. 

This is what led to the FB program crashing and burning.

• Upvote 4

your number is wrong. 2,953

This is what led to the FB program crashing and burning.

you must have missed the part where I said I'm good with a change, just not midseason when there is no one internal to step in and take over.  At the end of the season would be fine.... If we don't win the BSC tourney. 

Edited by Teeder11