SiouxSports.com Forum

By May ...

The Sicatoka

I would say that is true. I have seen about the same amount of Sioux gear at all the games I go to. At the same time, I have seen a huge surge of "UND" and "North Dakota" gear at the same games, presumably because that is what is largely sold today. Though,I guess if you were voting with your dollars, it would not be that hard to pop into Scheel's or the Sioux Shop at the Ralph to pick up some new Sioux gear.

It makes sense for the remaining Sioux inventory to run off over time and for the current logo, etc., to fill the void.  That said, there may be a very healthy market for "used" Sioux gear, knockoffs, etc., on the internets ... ;)  

This I can agree with.

Remember I also said I prefer to stay just North Dakota - I hope it is given a fair chance - but I doubt it but I also doubt a acceptable name will be chosen but I also doubt it will ever surpass the name Fighting Sioux - so don't get the idea that anything has really changed - time will tell

I stopped reading after this.

What games are you going to, because I've been to Mens and Women's Basketball games, hockey, and football games THIS YEAR and I'd say the exact OPPOSITE is true.  If anything, people are wearing MORE Sioux gear. 

I am not saying that it went down drastically.  That is why I used the term "less and less".  You can't deny that less Sioux apparel is being sold at stores.  Even the Sioux Shop.  So as a result, they are coming out with new "North Dakota " merchandise.  I myself have bought just "North Dakota" gear in the last year.  I know I am not the only one.  Obviosly hockey is going to have the most Sioux gear because their former jerseys displayed the logo more prominitely than any other sport.  But you have to admit that there are more of the new North Dakota jerseys than there were the previous years.  I was at the basketball game on Saturday and I would say that it was 60/40 in regards to Sioux/just north dakota apparel.  I am not trying to get in a big argument about the numbers, but to say that people are not slowly transitioning away from wearing Sioux apparel at games is just wrong. 

Remember I also said I prefer to stay just North Dakota - I hope it is given a fair chance - but I doubt it but I also doubt a acceptable name will be chosen but I also doubt it will ever surpass the name Fighting Sioux - so don't get the idea that anything has really changed - time will tell

I, too, hope it will be given a fair chance if that is what the majority of stakeholders in the next round of this saga "vote" for? (I put "vote" in quotes because I don't know how the next committee will ultimately decide to garner input on the matter).

I could respect that result, if that is the prevailing choice. But, speaking for myself, if we can't be Fighting Sioux --given the settlement agreement and the stark reality that the NCAA and PC nuts won't ever leave us alone if we thumb our nose at the world and continue to be the Fighting Sioux, I would want a new name that our new generations of students, athletes and fans (like my young daughters who were born after the settlement) can grow to rally around. Something that we can have fun with and market; something that in a few years or decades will be as revered by the younger generations in the same way we in the older crowd love the Fighting Sioux nickname. 

I think, if there is little to no outcry to be just "North Dakota,"  the committee/UND leadership will ultimately bless off on a new replacement nickname, knowing full well that there is a long row to hoe ahead before if will be accepted by a large majority of UND fans.

Oh & there has been alot of outcry for just North Dakota

Yes, however, the jury is still out on whether it will be enough of an outcry to mute any other choices that surface.... and then it would be up to the powers that be to decide whether it's in the best interest of the University as a whole to go down that road. Again, I could live with it, but I'm not making the big bucks that those people get who have to make and live with these decisions.  I don't envy them at all.

I am not saying that it went down drastically.  That is why I used the term "less and less".  You can't deny that less Sioux apparel is being sold at stores.  Even the Sioux Shop.  So as a result, they are coming out with new "North Dakota " merchandise.  I myself have bought just "North Dakota" gear in the last year.  I know I am not the only one.  Obviosly hockey is going to have the most Sioux gear because their former jerseys displayed the logo more prominitely than any other sport.  But you have to admit that there are more of the new North Dakota jerseys than there were the previous years.  I was at the basketball game on Saturday and I would say that it was 60/40 in regards to Sioux/just north dakota apparel.  I am not trying to get in a big argument about the numbers, but to say that people are not slowly transitioning away from wearing Sioux apparel at games is just wrong. 

Exactly.  And the reason for this is because people went into a "panic" when we lost the name and bought it all up.  Hence, the market (games) is FLOODED with Sioux gear because people who weren't wearing any before, now are because they thought if they didn't buy some now, they'd never be able to. 

Either way, I was just at the BB game vs Montana and Weber State.  There was much more "Sioux" apparel than there was anything else.  And I don't even have to talk about the hockey games. 

I will say that at Football, there seems to be a pretty even amount of both "UND/North Dakota" gear and "Sioux" gear, but in no way is it "apparent that their is a transition leaning towards non-sioux gear."  

Sorry man, but you're 100% wrong on this one imo. 

I stopped reading after this.

What games are you going to, because I've been to Mens and Women's Basketball games, hockey, and football games THIS YEAR and I'd say the exact OPPOSITE is true.  If anything, people are wearing MORE Sioux gear. 

Gotta agree here - not living in Grand Forks it's amazing how much Sioux gear you see - and not just atgames but all over town - it should not be taken as people being anti-supportive of UND - it's a cool name and a cool logo - it's not going anywhere soon - people have closets full of the stuff and there is still a market for Sioux clothing - logo or not -  trust me on that one. 

Or were not allowed to speak! You can blame the SR tribal council for that.

Bologna. 

That tribal majority could vote in a tribal council that would enact what the majority wants.

What's that you say? They'll vote other tribal issues before worrying about a nickname at a university? That must mean those other issues are more important to them. If it's important you do what it takes. The majority at SR (and SL?) have let this one go and left UND out to dry. 

• Upvote 2

Bologna. 

That tribal majority could vote in a tribal council that would enact what the majority wants.

What's that you say? They'll vote other tribal issues before worrying about a nickname at a university? That must mean those other issues are more important to them. If it's important you do what it takes. The majority at SR (and SL?) have let this one go and left UND out to dry. 

In 2009, SL had a vote overwhelmingly approving the nickname and logo.  In 2009 (even with Myra as Chair, I believe) and thereafter, the SL Tribal Council is in favor of the nickname and logo.  In 2009, SBoHE directed the school to retire the name.  On April 9, 2010, following the State Board of Higher Education’s decision to retire the UND nickname and logo, he announced he was beginning the process of retirement as the Chancellor had directed.  Kelley and the administration at that time had all the cover they needed and wanted.  Not really the sort of ringing endorsement to bring to SR.  SBoHE and Kelley's administration were clearly complicit.  Who stabbed whom in the back, again?  

In 2009, SL had a vote overwhelmingly approving the nickname and logo.  In 2009 (even with Myra as Chair, I believe) and thereafter, the SL Tribal Council is in favor of the nickname and logo.  In 2009, SBoHE directed the school to retire the name.  On April 9, 2010, following the State Board of Higher Education’s decision to retire the UND nickname and logo, he announced he was beginning the process of retirement as the Chancellor had directed.  Kelley and the administration at that time had all the cover they needed and wanted.  Not really the sort of ringing endorsement to bring to SR.  SBoHE and Kelley's administration were clearly complicit.  Who stabbed whom in the back, again?

There was never going to be a vote at SR. Period.

• Upvote 2

Just a reminder, hidden deep within the NCAA comments during the peak of the discussion was the comment that the NCAA needed the two "Tribal Councils" to approve the nickname. The NCAA basically alluded that the SL vote that had been taken did not meet their criteria of a "Tribal Council" vote - they didn't have to play that card because the SR never voted. The cards were stacked against the name in so many ways. 

There was never going to be a vote at SR. Period.

Precisely. It didn't matter enough so they let it go. 

As far as SL, the NCAA wanted an updated affirmation from the tribal council (not their past statements). They never got that from SL. 

Hmm? Some student athletes still want to be known as the Fighting Sioux? How can that be?

Remember though, if you yell "Go Sioux" you aren't supporting the institution, you're just a selfish baby. Liking the name we had for 70+ years and the university and student athletes themselves are mutually exclusive. Pattyn is the exception that proves the rule. ???

• Upvote 3

Remember though, if you yell "Go Sioux" you aren't supporting the institution, you're just a selfish baby. Liking the name we had for 70+ years and the university and student athletes themselves are mutually exclusive. Pattyn is the exception that proves the rule. ???

And, he's 1/2 metis (Chippewa/French).  Just yet another person with NA heritage who supports the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.  He must not be well-informed and he must not have had any meetings with Leigh Jeanotte.  

Good for you! Must be nice to know better than everyone else.

Add me to that "living in the past" list. I am sure that we will be the only 3 not wearing Sundogs jerseys, but we will be able to cope being in the minority.

Add me to the list. 

They can change the name of the team currently playing at UND, but that does not change the name of the team I played for back in the 80's.  I will never buy another licensed piece of North Dakota sporting apparel. 

• Upvote 3