SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX vs Niagara Saturday game day thread

Emerald joker

The penalty bug hit last night.   I noticed Pattyn has 42 PM so far this year, far more than any of his teammates.  I get it that the captain has to show he has his teammates' back and he's a physical player, but that is way too much time in the box on a team that needs to roll 4 lines and get points from all of them.  

I really like Pattyn, by the way.   Just thinking of nut cutting time against teams that will make you pay.  

So they survived the PWR trap this weekend.  The next risk from this weekend is the first period next weekend, when playing CC (even CC) will be like moving from the donkey path to the autobahn.  Going from an excess of time and space against a slow team, and having the puck all the time, to a team that will fight back.  It's happened three times already this year:  After Manitoba, Bemidji was hard to handle.  After Lake State, Denver.  After the U18s, Duluth.  You can prepare for it all you want intellectually, but until you get on the ice, you don't really believe it.

I actually thought that U18 played fast and were extremely skilled.  They just didn't play much D and they didn't play as a team.

Thompson and Panz looked really solid together again last night. If Murphy is going to continue to play is it to much to ask for him to at least not be on the PP! The top line has to stay in tact w Pooly there. He is a good fit w Mac and Parks. Chyzyk went down tunnel late in 2nd w a shoulder issue...but he is apparently OK after he ripped the purple helmet of the NU player following the 5 for CFB in the 3rd.

I totally agree with you re: #7 and PP.  OD and Chyz have 9 goals and 5 goals respectively and you play a guy with 0 goals in 2 years ahead of them???.  I also agree with Panz and Thompson, you notice Thompson's offensive ability more and I think its because he knows Panz is a stay home D. You don't notice Panz that much but that means he's doing his job perfectly. Not sure I agree with the top line, IMO you need to put #9 back on top line. Cagg was leading country in scoring and against a team he should light up he gets 0 goals and 1 assist.

I totally agree with you re: #7 and PP. OD and Chyz have 9 goals and 5 goals respectively and you play a guy with 0 goals in 2 years ahead of them???. I also agree with Panz and Thompson, you notice Thompson's offensive ability more and I think its because he knows Panz is a stay home D. You don't notice Panz that much but that means he's doing his job perfectly. Not sure I agree with the top line, IMO you need to put #9 back on top line. Cagg was leading country in scoring and against a team he should light up he gets 0 goals and 1 assist.

To your point w Caggs...right now a lot has to do w NS.

So they survived the PWR trap this weekend.  The next risk from this weekend is the first period next weekend, when playing CC (even CC) will be like moving from the donkey path to the autobahn.  Going from an excess of time and space against a slow team, and having the puck all the time, to a team that will fight back.  It's happened three times already this year:  After Manitoba, Bemidji was hard to handle.  After Lake State, Denver.  After the U18s, Duluth.  You can prepare for it all you want intellectually, but until you get on the ice, you don't really believe it.

So they need to find a better team to scrimmage on Wednesday.  RR?  Wild? Winnipeg Jr. Blues?

Interesting observation not really related to this series, but in general:

Teams are so playing "system" hockey lately that defenses are getting surprised by the astounding tactic ... of splitting the D and skating straight up the ice at the opposing net. 

Parks nearly pulled it off against Duluth ( #$%&@ pipe).

It was open all weekend against Niagara. 

And then there was this gem yesterday ... 

Interesting observation not really related to this series, but in general:

Teams are so playing "system" hockey lately that defenses are getting surprised by the astounding tactic ... of splitting the D and skating straight up the ice at the opposing net. 

Parks nearly pulled it off against Duluth ( #$%&@ pipe).

It was open all weekend against Niagara. 

And then there was this gem yesterday ... 

Mattson did it on Saturday, too. The defenders seem to be thinking the the puck going to the corner or the point and just let it happen.