SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hat Trick Club

AZSIOUX

Some obvious names:

Brendan O'Donnell ;)

Rocco Grimaldi (last March v. Wisconsin)

Matt Frattin and Jason Gregoire (same game) in WCHA playoffs in 2011

Brandon Bochenski had a four goal game (that counts ;) ). 

Dave Kartio scored four in one game in 1968. 

(The free, downloadable UND Hockey media guide is a good resource.) 

Some obvious names:

Brendan O'Donnell ;)

Rocco Grimaldi (last March v. Wisconsin)

Matt Frattin and Jason Gregoire (same game) in WCHA playoffs in 2011

Brandon Bochenski had a four goal game (that counts ;) ).

Dave Kartio scored four in one game in 1968.

(The free, downloadable UND Hockey media guide is a good resource.)

Ryan Duncan and Connor Gaarder both had one according to my 9 year old.

Ryan Duncan and Connor Gaarder both had one according to my 9 year old.

Smart kid. Gaarder did have one vs. BU a couple years ago.

As far as Duncan, I wouldn't be surprised if he had one.

However, I do remember his last game of his career at The Ralph he was given a hat trick but it was subsequently taken away because someone tipped the last goal I believe.

Is it custom to throw TWO hats onto the ice when that happens?

Not at the same time.  I think proper protocol is to litter the ice with hats immediately.  Once the ice crew has gone out and completely cleaned up the ice and shut the Zamboni doors, you then re-litter the ice with hats.  This must be a coordinated effort by the fans, because you don't want everyone throwing their hats the first go-round. :p

They mentioned a penalty on the radio, has delay of game ever been called for hats? cups and garbage I could see but I would think hats would get some leniency? Can / does the team ever go pick them up?

Hats on the ice after a hat trick are totally acceptable as part of hockey heritage. They did an article in the Herald a few years ago and I believe it said in most places you can go pick up your hat after the game (so let er fly). 

They mentioned a penalty on the radio, has delay of game ever been called for hats? cups and garbage I could see but I would think hats would get some leniency? Can / does the team ever go pick them up?

Hats are exempt as part of the celebration by fans of a rare feat, other objects not previously arranged ie the teddy bear toss will be subject to the delay of game infraction.

Not at the same time. I think proper protocol is to litter the ice with hats immediately. Once the ice crew has gone out and completely cleaned up the ice and shut the Zamboni doors, you then re-litter the ice with hats. This must be a coordinated effort by the fans, because you don't want everyone throwing their hats the first go-round. :p

I think my post was worded poorly. After the 3rd goal, of course you would throw a hat on the ice. My question was, after the "double" hat trick, or 6th goal, would you throw another hat out there?

I think my post was worded poorly. After the 3rd goal, of course you would throw a hat on the ice. My question was, after the "double" hat trick, or 6th goal, would you throw another hat out there?

That's when you throw 2:

1 after the goal

1 after the ice crew cleans up the ice

So there'd be a total of 3 hat throwing instances - 1 after the first hat trick and 2 after the 2nd hat trick.  It's the logical way to do it!

This would be impressive because it means you'd either be wearing 2 hats or have a 2nd one stowed away in the rare case that this exact scenario occurred!

You can get a Delay of Game penalty if a fan throws a live goose out on the ice. 

This would be impressive because it means you'd either be wearing 2 hats or have a 2nd one stowed away in the rare case that this exact scenario occurred!

Not all that unrealistic of a scenario...winter hat to the rink replaced with a baseball hat during the game.