SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Alabama State (Utah Tournament Day #1)

SWSiouxMN

what causes teams to lose big leads like we have? Is it effort? Leadership? Coaching? Depth? makes me wonder if we have a good team or not?

Personally, I think it comes down to coaching.  Teams seem to be making adjustments at halftime, and we've been unable to adapt so far.  This isn't the first season that this has been happening.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think it comes down to coaching.  Teams seem to be making adjustments at halftime, and we've been unable to adapt so far.  This isn't the first season that this has been happening.

Jones blamed it on hooker getting hurt In the post game interview.

Jones blamed it on hooker getting hurt In the post game interview.

He did not. For eff's sakes.. He did say, however , that having the emotional leader and the floor general off the floor didn't help the situation. He listed a few other contributing factors to his team only winning by 7, including that ASU is a pretty darn good team when it wants to be..

For all the Hooker detractors, last nights game is a prime example of his value. Does so much for this team that doesn't show up on stat sheet. I know he played in 2nd half of sdsu game but I am amazed at how people are so eager to replace him. Great defender; knows how to pace a game, getting better as a shooter. But most important is he is a great locker room guy. Easy kid to cheer for in my opinion. Really glad we have him.

For all the Hooker detractors, last nights game is a prime example of his value. Does so much for this team that doesn't show up on stat sheet. I know he played in 2nd half of sdsu game but I am amazed at how people are so eager to replace him. Great defender; knows how to pace a game, getting better as a shooter. But most important is he is a great locker room guy. Easy kid to cheer for in my opinion. Really glad we have him.

Absolutely. That's why it's such a bad deal he got hurt and won't be able to play (most likely) against Utah.

Agreed. For a true freshman last year I thought he played well and he will be key to any run we make this year. We do have a lot more back court depth than front court so he can take his time and get to 100%

Lenny had a nice night it looks like with 14 points and going 4-8 from deep. Stepped up in the 2nd half to hit 3 3's.

Also nice to get some production from the post.  Calc averaging 10.3 ppg in last 3. 

Already matched what we did in D-1 non-conference wins last year, with a few more winnable games on the docket.

Hopefully Hooker can be able to come back sooner rather than later.

Take and learn, when the team can bring it for 40... we will be tough to beat.

what causes teams to lose big leads like we have? Is it effort? Leadership? Coaching? Depth? makes me wonder if we have a good team or not?

While it is undeniable that the team played considerably better in the first half, the “collapse” on Wednesday wasn’t nearly as bad as the score indicated.

At one point, UND held an impressive 40 to 15 point lead. Three factors that stood out to me in the early going: (1) UND had excellent ball movement, (2) ASU looked travel weary for the first ten minutes and (3) whether correct or not, most of the calls were going UND’s way.

These factors were completely reversed in the second half: (1) ball movement wasn’t as impressive without Hooker (additionally, de Rouen was hampered by a second-half ankle injury), (2) calls were overwhelmingly going against UND (at one point the fouls were 10 to 1) and (3) the players started playing less aggressively due to the number of calls going against them (Nash went from being a force down low to playing the perimeter).

Hopefully the team that showed up in the first half plays a complete game against Utah tonight.

While it is undeniable that the team played considerably better in the first half, the “collapse” on Wednesday wasn’t nearly as bad as the score indicated.

At one point, UND held an impressive 40 to 15 point lead. Three factors that stood out to me in the early going: (1) UND had excellent ball movement, (2) ASU looked travel weary for the first ten minutes and (3) whether correct or not, most of the calls were going UND’s way.

These factors were completely reversed in the second half: (1) ball movement wasn’t as impressive without Hooker (additionally, de Rouen was hampered by a second-half ankle injury), (2) calls were overwhelmingly going against UND (at one point the fouls were 10 to 1) and (3) the players started playing less aggressively due to the number of calls going against them (Nash went from being a force down low to playing the perimeter).

Hopefully the team that showed up in the first half plays a complete game against Utah tonight.

If thats the case then Jones needs to get the players head back into the game and play strong. The game isn't over until the clock hits zero.

If thats the case then Jones needs to get the players head back into the game and play strong. The game isn't over until the clock hits zero.

Not much choice but to play less aggressively when you're in foul trouble like that.  Everyone would have been fouled out at the pace they were going.  Nash ended the game with 4 and Coleman, De Rouen, Tyler and Hobaugh all had 3 on top of Hooker being out of the game with an injury.  That's 3 starters plus the first guy off the bench in foul trouble and another starter out with an injury.  It's not a huge surprise that a quality team made a run against that kind of situation. 

On a positive note, Nash went 6-7 from the line and the team shot 10-11 (91% the first half).  Also have 14 assists on 25 made baskets.  On a sour note, they went 6-11 (55%) the second half to finish the game at 73%.

Not much choice but to play less aggressively when you're in foul trouble like that.  Everyone would have been fouled out at the pace they were going.  Nash ended the game with 4 and Coleman, De Rouen, Tyler and Hobaugh all had 3 on top of Hooker being out of the game with an injury.  That's 3 starters plus the first guy off the bench in foul trouble and another starter out with an injury.  It's not a huge surprise that a quality team made a run against that kind of situation. 

On a positive note, Nash went 6-7 from the line and the team shot 10-11 (91% the first half).  On a sour note, they went 6-11 (55%) the second half to finish at 73%.

Why were calls going UND's way in the first half and not in the second? Bad refs?