SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

The old guard Teammakers would never allow hockey at SU. Hockey is a four letter word at Teammakers.  Its only for Canadians, Minnesotas, and Arizonans.  Minot State will be DI in hockey before SU.  

The students would have to not show up at the FargoDome for SU football. ...   Oh wait. their bored with SU football and don't show up anyway.

NDSU has Scheels Arena they could use and are using for basketball, I'm sure if NDSU wanted hockey and to use Scheels Arena they could.

Someone told me that one of NDSU's major donors said that if NDSU added hockey, their money would dry up. Maybe one of our friends from NDSU could tell us if that rumor is true. Also, there's no way they could get up to UND's speed in hockey. I don't see it happening. 

I don't agree with you on NDSU will never get up to speed with UND.

It's like NDSU fans saying UND's football team will never be as good as NDSU's football team.

No its not, UND actually has a football team and has been around as long, if not close to as long as NDSU.

UND is a powerhouse in hockey with the tradition of winning, arena, alums, town/fanbase, and culture to back it up. The Bison have a club team with no precedence in hockey.

So how exactly are they the same again?

No its not, UND actually has a football team and has been around as long, if not close to as long as NDSU.

UND is a powerhouse in hockey with the tradition of winning, arena, alums, town/fanbase, and culture to back it up. The Bison have a club team with no precedence in hockey.

Look at Yale and Union there are not power houses in hockey yet they have won the last two national titles. Michigan has been playing D1 hockey longer then UND, but UND and other schools are closing that gap of national titles to Michigan. Could NDSU catch UND in hockey if they both had D1 hockey programs? Yes they could.

Look at Penn State 2nd year in the B1G and out playing Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Who can say they saw that coming?

Look at Yale and Union there are not power houses in hockey yet they have won the last two national titles. Michigan has been playing D1 hockey longer then UND, but UND and other schools are closing that gap of national titles to Michigan. Could NDSU catch UND in hockey if they both had D1 hockey programs? Yes they could.

Look at Penn State 2nd year in the B1G and out playing Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Who can say they saw that coming?

Yale has been a collegiate hockey team since 1893, Union since 1919. So it took them 100 years to get their act together. And still, neither team can be argued to be the cream of the crop in college hockey year in and year out. Yes they have good programs but not the winning history or tradition. You can't honestly tell me you think either team is at UND's level, can you? One year does not a program make. They caught lightning in a bottle and hats off to them but it doesn't equate to our 80 years of winning.

As for Penn State, call me when they win a conference title, conference tourney, or even make a Frozen Four. Yes they've had some nice upsets and I'm happy for them but so has Appalachian state in football.

And all of this is of course negates the fact that the Bison are 80 miles from the best development factory in college hockey, in my humble opinion. They wouldn't get a sniff at a recruit without North Dakota's say so.

And all of this is of course negates the fact that the Bison are 80 miles from the best development factory in college hockey, in my humble opinion. They wouldn't get a sniff at a recruit without North Dakota's say so.

Yea, those folks in St Cloud who hope to field a D1 team and compete against the likes of Minnesota sure are dreaming...

• Upvote 1

I agree. it's pure fantasy to even think that NDSU could match UND in hockey on a consistent basis. 

From the superior facilities to the superior fanbase to the superior tradition to the superior everything, UND would consistently crush them. And it would be fun.

If they did start up a D1 program, they might beat UND in hockey in about 30 years; in a contest that they were outshot 83-2 & had the support of a messiah guiding them to victory just because He pitied them having only moral victories.

Their alums would be ultra delusional to divert funds from their winning football program in hopes that they could compete with UND in hockey someday.

They might have success in D3 though, & they could always snatch up a player of ours that we cut who was never was quite good enough to play at the D1 level.   :) 

Yea, those folks in St Cloud who hope to field a D1 team and compete against the likes of Minnesota sure are dreaming...

Anyone who thinks SCSU has reached UMNs level of success, tradition, or talent is sadly mistaken. It pains me to say this but UMN is just a flat out better program. Not that SCSU don't get a sniff now and then and we cheer them on, but some cosmic shift in the universe would have to occur for those programs to switch places where all MN kids grow up wanting to be a husky.

Anyone who thinks SCSU has reached UMNs level of success, tradition, or talent is sadly mistaken. It pains me to say this but UMN is just a flat out better program. Not that SCSU don't get a sniff now and then and we cheer them on, but some cosmic shift in the universe would have to occur for those programs to switch places where all MN kids grow up wanting to be a husky.

SCSU is a good hockey team, but they haven't reached UND's level either. 

Someone told me that one of NDSU's major donors said that if NDSU added hockey, their money would dry up. Maybe one of our friends from NDSU could tell us if that rumor is true. Also, there's no way they could get up to UND's speed in hockey. I don't see it happening. 

Where's he or she been the last ten years?

It took forever for their basketball arena to get started and that was after major contributions from Sanford.

I'm guessing their money already dried up.

I'm just a casual hockey fan, the only hockey I really watch is North Dakota hockey.  I have season tix for Sioux hockey, but honestly I'd prefer UND football and/or basketball if I had to choose.  I go to the Frozen Faceoff, just as much to get away for a weekend as to watch hockey.

I'm really excited about the prospect of Arizona St. hockey being in the NCHC, basically just for the name.  Same reason I was ticked off when Notre Dame left the NCHC at the alter.  Regardless of their hockey tradition, these big name schools lend credibility to college hockey, which is basically a niche sport, especially to casual observers that don't live & breathe hockey.   I know that Ohio St. is nothing in college hockey, but I'd much rather see them come to REA than Western Michigan, St. Cloud, or even Miami. 

Anyways, just thought I'd share my perspective as somebody that doesn't know a ton about college hockey, but follows simply because my favorite school is pretty damn good at it. 

Sidenote: another reason it is too bad we aren't the Fighting Sioux any more.  A game with the Sun Devils would have been a matchup with the two coolest nicknames in college sports.......

SCSU is a good hockey team, but they haven't reached UND's level either. 

They'll reach UND's stature once they have a $104 million dollar facility, reel off about 4 or 5 natties & find a time machine that can retro-establish their program to 1929 to equal UND's long history & tradition.

I never insinuated anything of the sort...but the days of 3/4 scholarship offers to Minnesota because it is a "privilege" to wear the M went the way of the wooly mammoth a long time ago.

They'll reach UND's stature once they have a $104 million dollar facility, reel off about 4 or 5 natties & find a time machine that can retro-establish their program to 1929 to equal UND's long history & tradition.

Tradition for every college hockey program had to start somewhere...

• Upvote 1

Tradition for every college hockey program had to start somewhere...

So if we started playing USC & Alabama in football, would UND ever be regarded as having the same level of tradition as them? 

Every school that has a varsity athletic program longer than one day has a tradition, technically speaking. I'm referring to a comparable tradition that involves two schools competing in a given sport for roughly the same amount of time & having consistently winning programs.

So if we started playing USC & Alabama in football, would UND ever be regarded as having the same level of tradition as them?

Every school that has a varsity athletic program longer than one day has a tradition, technically speaking. I'm referring to a comparable tradition that involves two schools competing in a given sport for roughly the same amount of time & having consistently winning programs.

Oh please. Boston College was an afterthought in college hockey for about 50 years. Now, plenty of folks think they're the gold standard. In, what, 14 seasons? Amazing.

I never insinuated anything of the sort...but the days of 3/4 scholarship offers to Minnesota because it is a "privilege" to wear the M went the way of the wooly mammoth a long time ago.

The original point or the reason the conversation came up was that cberkas stated NDSU could reach the same level in hockey as UND and used Penn State as an example. I don't feel like reading up again but I believe you said something to the effect of SCSU does just fine against Minnesota in support of that point. That's where my response came from.

Not saying the gap between those 2 schools is absolutely crazy or anything but comparing that to UND vs NDSU, who hasn't even hinted at sniffing D1 hockey, seemed like a stretch to me.