SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Air Force - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

I only watched on TV but I thought Murphy did some nice things last night, including some very nice passes.  I know he was expected to be a scorer, but I thought he looked ok last night.  I haven't watched too many games so am not sure how last night compared to his body of work.   He's not played a ton, so maybe he just needs a little time to catch up.

I saw him make a few nice passes too, one should have been a goal.  He is that "tweener" kind of guy at this level.  he cannot play bottom 6 due to him not having a great motor and lacking serious grit but he does seem to have some offensive ability.  Again, I'm not sure on him however as long as we're winning he may not be a bad idea to give him an extended tryout while Mac is out.  It seems the other potential candidates for a top 6 role all have a better motor than he does so they are better suited in the bottom 6.  

Additionally, anyone think that Simonson-Chyz-Poganski line looked much more lethal than our third line last night?  I did.  I think some of those Soph/Frosh guys need to move up in place of a Pattyn/OD/Gaard.  Just a thought.

You almost have to feel bad for air force... outplayed UND for most the game only to have UND step up in the last third to win it.   I said almost.

AF out scored UND for most of game. I didn't think they outplayed us, but I guess if you are down 2-0 you have a point. I thought Sioux worked hard,hustled to puck, outshot AF and most of game was in AF end. Some lack of focus in 1st period especially, but working hard in corners and hustling to puck. I thought we were out of sync. Just struggled to put anything together. I didn't think AF goalie had to make a tough save til halfway through 3 rd period.

Let me rephrase this. They had four shorthanded goals all of last season. Tonight, @UNDSID said they need to get 13 more to tie the record for the season. Obviously, they will need to get 14 to break it.

Fixed my post... After checking the records... That's an incredible number of shorties. It would be interesting to see if they can do it. They have five shorthanded goals in seven games. That leads division I hockey at .71 shorthanded goals per game.

I like lines like this until Mac returns:

Caggulia-Schmaltz-Parks

Pattyn-Gaarder-Olson

OD-Johnson-Poganski

Chyzk-Simonson-St Clair

I've always liked St Clair's energy and especially his PK ability.

I would agree with this moving forward into the WI series.

• Upvote 1

During the third my wife commented that it was like Hak told them to spot AF 2 and then play the third period like it was the playoffs and their season was on the line.

It did have a bit of that feel. :(

What was interesting to me is that Michael Parks played the last five of regulation and the OT like he decided he wasn't losing that game despite anyone else's interests, actions, or intentions.

If he could skate every shift like that we'd need to start making space for another Hobey case.

I think this has been our best pairing all year. I know LaDue and Schmaltz have more talent but Stecher and Ausmus have been really consistent. Stecher has just been flat-out terrific. I think if there is a chance for anyone sitting it may be Ausmus after last night. He got caught up ice giving up odd man rushes quite a few times last night. I really like him in the lineup but last night was definitely his worst game of the year.

Agreed. Not a chance either one of these two sit right now. Hak is consistently pointing out at least one of these two's play in press conferences. They have been absolute studs. Sorry Keaton, you aren't getting in right now.

In spite of their clueless coach.

Hahahaha ok?? You realize that the Sioux won that game on Saturday after Hak changed up the lines, right? Hak made the move, the boys made took care of it on the ice and we got a W. Please tell me again how Hak is clueless, Mr. Troll.

Agree. He has flashes of using his speed and stick handling, but looks a little anxious at times trying to finish with a shot or a pass. Reminds me of O'Donnell on the Kristo, Knight line. Hopefully he finds a comfort level somewhere. I'm really good with St. Clair getting back in the lineup too, but like you said they'll probably need both players next year when there will be that same adjustment level for the freshmen and some may take a while. Excited on how good our lineup can be this year when Poganski, Olson and Simonson get more comfortable and confident at what they can do at this level.

Murphy is definitely a kid that is gripping his stick a little too hard. Would be nice to see him bury one and play with a little less stress, but, nonetheless, I think St. Clair needs to play over him, right now.

Poganski has showed some talent. I loooove his upside. Olson and Simonson look like Sioux players. Gritty and hard-working, but have skill. Can't wait. These three are going to be fun to watch develop.

AF out scored UND for most of game. I didn't think they outplayed us, but I guess if you are down 2-0 you have a point. I thought Sioux worked hard,hustled to puck, outshot AF and most of game was in AF end. Some lack of focus in 1st period especially, but working hard in corners and hustling to puck. I thought we were out of sync. Just struggled to put anything together. I didn't think AF goalie had to make a tough save til halfway through 3 rd period.

Absolutely agreed. I don't buy the "they outplayed us for the first two periods" bit. It's just untrue. UND played better than AF the whole game, dominated in the third after Hak shuffled the lines and got the boys got it done.

The knock on this team all off season was "where from the offense?" 

Season starts, MarkMac gives the answer, and then goes down to an injury that we still don't have a timetable for. 

Given that background, I'd say the better option is to go with Murphy. On Saturday versus Air Force Murphy finally started to look comfortable out on the ice. His offensive up-side potential is greater than St. Clair's. We know what we're getting with St. Clair: third/fourth line dependability and a PK guy; maybe, maybe some offense. With Murphy? I'd argue we don't have enough run time on him yet to know. He got a chance v. USAFA and he showed enough improvement to get another go in my mind. 

• Upvote 2

Absolutely agreed. I don't buy the "they outplayed us for the first two periods" bit. It's just untrue. UND played better than AF the whole game, dominated in the third after Hak shuffled the lines and got the boys got it done.

Don't you know the SS rule-of-thumb by now, stoney? Even if the shots on goal are 100-to-1 in favor of UND, if the score after one period of play is 1-0 in favor of the opponent, it means the Sioux aren't playing hard and are being outworked.

• Upvote 1

Don't you know the SS rule-of-thumb by now, stoney? Even if the shots on goal are 100-to-1 in favor of UND, if the score after one period of play is 1-0 in favor of the opponent, it means the Sioux aren't playing hard and are being outworked.

It's just stupid. It's like everyone just checks the scoreboard after each period and decides who's better. UND outplayed AFA from start to finish on Saturday as a whole and got the result that it deserved.

And look how it happened! Hak shuffles lines.... the boys take care of business. Just shocking, isn't it? :silly: #shhhhHakhaters

The first AFA goal was a guy left open in the slot - put that one on a missed assignment. The second goal of theirs was a really pretty tic-tac-toe passing play off the rush with a one-touch finish. That one was just great execution. UND had been pressuring a ton and the two saves on the General during the PP prevented the comeback from starting much earlier. I'd agree with those who said from early 2nd on UND was by far the better team.

The first AFA goal was a guy left open in the slot - put that one on a missed assignment. The second goal of theirs was a really pretty tic-tac-toe passing play off the rush with a one-touch finish. That one was just great execution. UND had been pressuring a ton and the two saves on the General during the PP prevented the comeback from starting much earlier. I'd agree with those who said from early 2nd on UND was by far the better team.

Agreed. Talked about the game with a buddy this morning. Even first period and pretty much dominated the rest of the way. Edit my comments about the whole game. But, my point still stands that we were the better team and after Hak shuffled the lines, we got it done.

you forgot " and outcoached"

• Upvote 1