SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Beavers - FRIDAY

AZSIOUX

So if I don't rake the leaves in my front yard and I post on this site from work that gives Hak and this team the right to play like pigs? Get real tnt

I'm not the one who said that people would be fired for not putting forth effort one day.

this team, the same as last year will have zero margin for error as it doesn't have the offensive skill top to bottom to make up for any mistakes.  the d better find a way to correct those mistakes from last night in a hurry or this thing could snowball as it is first team to three will win the majority of games.

I think putting the result of last night's game all on lack of "effort" is a little off target.

Here is what I saw:

1. Defensemen were playing very poorly. "Did I say very? . I really should put the a,b,c in here an make this list an outline because they did at least three things bad. But I'm on my phone so I'll just list them. First they were playing up in the o zone way to much. Were Mattson and Smaltz forwards last night? Last year we established zone possession with the puck out at the blue line and CONTROLED puck movement engineered by the D. (Yes last year the D-men took the puck in deep but it was discriminant not perpetual.). Yesterday the D-men were simply out of position often.

The D-men were not supporting each other coming out of the D-zone which led to risky cross ice passes and way to much one on one puck battles. Our D-men got beat up and then fatigued as a result and then it just got worse.

What I just outlined in point one above is in my opinion the main explanation for last night's game but a couple of other things worth noting.

2. Poor play from some of our vetetans forwards. Remember when coach Blais benched, I think it was, Blake? I have read a few posts suggesting we bench guys like Murphy. While that makes sense on one level, I'm more inclined to bench Parks and maybe McMillan. They should be our guys and frankly they didn't do anything and Parks messed up more than once. I say give them a day off.

3. Bemidjii seemed to have what almost looked like a strategy of having their guys falling down as a way to neutralize our forcheck. If they had position on the puck but were being challenged by our forchecker they were falling all the time. This seemed to be effective in that it was causing our guy to layoff his persuit of the puck to avoid a penalty and the guy laying on the ice was an obstacle in the way of him getting to the puck. It just looked a little fishy to me...

• 5 months later...