SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

3 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Rumor is Oregon is offering to move to D1 hockey and build a new arena for a big 10 spot.  For context this is the guy who first reported the usc/ucla big ten rumor.  

A onetime beer league teammate was a club player at U of O, said Knight harbors resentment to the sport of hockey after Nike bought high and sold low with Bauer. That was in the 90's though, hopefully he's over it by now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 5:30 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

A onetime beer league teammate was a club player at U of O, said Knight harbors resentment to the sport of hockey after Nike bought high and sold low with Bauer. That was in the 90's though, hopefully he's over it by now.

Curious if he elaborated at all? I don't doubt it, but did he say how he came to believe that or who he heard it from?  

The Oregon/Big Ten/Hockey addition rumor doesn't add up to me though.. would Oregon adding hockey really move the needle for their admittance to the Big Ten?  If the league didn't help Illinois get over the hump with how close that school was to adding hockey, I just don't see how it would make any difference to the Big Ten if Oregon added hockey.  

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Curious if he elaborated at all? I don't doubt it, but did he say how he came to believe that or who he heard it from?  

The Oregon/Big Ten/Hockey addition rumor doesn't add up to me though.. would Oregon adding hockey really move the needle for their admittance to the Big Ten?  If the league didn't help Illinois get over the hump with how close that school was to adding hockey, I just don't see how it would make any difference to the Big Ten if Oregon added hockey.  

As a club team they had to fundraise/pay their way on a campus where a ton of money is thrown at seemingly every other sport so it was something every recruit/freshman wondered about, resulting in the Bauer anecdote becoming common knowledge on the team. Didn't get any more info beyond that though.

• Upvote 1

Anyone think it would work for UND to host a hockey hall of fame game in Sioux Falls, vs Augastana, in a non "destination" game year?  Would be good for Augie and college hockey in the area, they could probably sell a decent percentage of tickets locally, and Midco airs all of UND's hockey games down there already, so it would help to support and/or grow our fan base.

• Like 1

Has it been known that Lindenwood was one of the schools that completed an NHL feasability study?  If not, they were one of the schools that did it, according to Collegiate Consulting.

" Collegiate Consulting completed Lindenwood’s Hockey Feasibility Study (with support from the St. Louis Blues) along with studies for Oakland University (Detroit Red Wings), University of Illinois (Chicago Black Hawks) and two other institutions.  In addition, Collegiate Consulting has completed 25 hockey projects, including Simon Fraser, Bemidji State, Utica, Alabama – Huntsville and Stonehill."

I believe Tennessee State is doing (or did?) their feasability study with help from the Predators.  I believe there were 5 feasability studies that were being conducted with support from the NHL.  Is Tennessee State included as one of those 5 studies, or did Tennessee State announce their study after the original 5 already concluded?   

Edit: looks like they had already completed 5 in 2018, so Tennessee State probably wasn't one of the mystery schools that studied hockey. http://www.collegiateconsulting.com/news/collegiate-consulting-completes-five-nhl-funded-hockey-feasibility-studies

As much fun as hosting a destination game and having 99% of the fans be UND fans, I think a game in Vegas against UNLF would be great!!  Give half the seat allocations to each school.  I mena, how sweat would it be to have half the stadium green and white, and the other half red and black.  Would be visually awesome.  Plus gives UNLV a boost plaing in a game against a hockey blue blood but still have it close to home.  

• 1 month later...

During the intermission of their first Mens Basketball game, Tennessee State just ran a very well produced 5 minute feature about their pursuit of adding a D1 hockey program. They appear to be VERY serious... even mentioned construction of a new arena and quickly showed a rendering. They have not started their official fundraising drive yet, but given the quality of the video and the apparent passion for this project from their AD, I think they could actually get this done.

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2022 at 1:03 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

As much fun as hosting a destination game and having 99% of the fans be UND fans, I think a game in Vegas against UNLF would be great!!  Give half the seat allocations to each school.  I mena, how sweat would it be to have half the stadium green and white, and the other half red and black.  Would be visually awesome.  Plus gives UNLV a boost plaing in a game against a hockey blue blood but still have it close to home.  

Holy gfhockey, Batman!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SDSU is apparently doing a feasibility study.   I can't read the article because it's paywalled, but here's a source: https://www.collegehockeyinsider.com/p/225-a-new-d-i-feasibility-study-maybe?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=140981&post_id=85926679&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email

I read on a different message board that Collegiate Consulting announced it in a tweet before deleting it.

edit: should probably specify... Cali not South Dakota.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

When Kansas played at The Ralph back whenever I thought they left the boards in but took the glass down. 

Not sure how old picture is, but looks like boards are up in this one. 
basketball-2.jpg

Hard to tell what they did when NDSU played UND at the REA about 10 years ago.
https://fightinghawks.com/galleries/mens-basketball/mens-basketball-vs-north-dakot/861

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not sure how old picture is, but looks like boards are up in this one. Can't remember what they did when NDSU played UND at the REA.
basketball-2.jpg

I always hoped that UND basketball would get to a level where they would have to play games consistently at the Ralph.  Not because they wanted to, but becuase they had to due to attendance being to large for the Betty!!  Someday....maybe!