SiouxSports.com Forum

Why No UND License Plates?

Cratter

Pretty sure the discussion has been had before here a couple times.  Guessing it mainly has to do with not having a logo but not sure why they don't just use the interlocking ND.  Correct that it is on the alumni association would be the likely group to get it set up.

When the State was rolling them out was in the middle of "the dark times" with the NCAA and the name and logo. 

Most folks don't want the UND with the flame logo as that's more academics. 

The interlocked ND is too easily confused with "Our Lady of South Bend". 

People want a popular, unique, recognizable athletics logo. But the "no new name" crowd doesn't believe that. 

• Upvote 3

When the State was rolling them out was in the middle of "the dark times" with the NCAA and the name and logo. 

People want a popular, unique, recognizable athletics logo. But the "no new name" crowd doesn't believe that. 

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another reason we need to get a new name selected and start to build the new brand.

I doubt there was a "time limit" of either it's now or never. I would assume they could still get in line to have some made. No excuse to not have the interlocking logo on North Dakota plates. Another dropped ball by UND people.

It can be done at any time (see below).  I think the point was at the time the other schools were doing it, it was pretty much foregone that the Sioux logo would be gone.  Agree that they should do it with the interlocking ND though.

Basically the Alumni Association would have to fill out the form, have a minimum of fifty people committed and be willing to pay the $1,500. 

• SFN 54340 Organization Plate Program Application must be completed and submitted showing logo and design for Director Approval.
• Upon approval the organization must submit a signed application form SFN 54397 Application for Organization Plate for each vehicle requesting to display the distinctive plate, with a minimum of fifty (50) applicants and a one-time payment of one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) from the organization.
• There is an annual fee of $25 due for the Organization plate or if requesting a personalized Organization plate an annual fee of $50. The plate will be limited to only five (5) characters.
• Plates may not be displayed on a vehicle with a registered gross weight exceeding 20,000 lbs.
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know where the Sioux logo copyright stands at this time? I assume it's still owned by UND? If not, any 50 folks with a collective $1,500 could make this happen for those who want to hold onto the Sioux legacy...

How about "Sioux Sports" plates? With the minimum of 50 people, it would be $55 ($1500/50=$30, plus the plate fee) for a standard plate and $80 for a personalized one.

Shoot...shouldn't have said that. Bisonville will round up 50 folks to make their own plates now. Should only take them a day or two here:

Jail2.jpg

Does anyone know where the Sioux logo copyright stands at this time? I assume it's still owned by UND? If not, any 50 folks with a collective $1,500 could make this happen for those who want to hold onto the Sioux legacy...

How about "Sioux Sports" plates? With the minimum of 50 people, it would be $55 ($1500/50=$30, plus the plate fee) for a standard plate and $80 for a personalized one.

Shoot...shouldn't have said that. Bisonville will round up 50 folks to make their own plates now. Should only take them a day or two here:

Jail2.jpg

Huh, the Cass County Jail is a more attractive building than the ndsu campus.....

UND has to keep the copyright in good standing (doing so with the Dacotah Legacy Collection) and the state would also have to approve the design.

They sell designer plates in Colorado for a variety of organizations, hobbies, charities, etc. they charge extra for them so it brings in extra revenue to the state so it's a win-win. I have the CC plates and my girlfriend has the breast cancer plates. They're pretty sharp IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&ei=380IVLWmKojB8QGjxIHoAw&q=colorado+college+license+plates&oq=colorado+college+license+plates&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...2393.12842.0.13123.32.28.0.1.1.0.1128.1128.7-1.1.0....0...1c.1.53.mobile-gws-hp..30.2.1198.3.TN8ekcvbGTs#facrc=_&imgrc=1rlXL4F8V3lWkM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.colorado.gov%252Fcs%252FSatellite%253Fblobcol%253Durldata%2526blobkey%253Did%2526blobtable%253DMungoBlobs%2526blobwhere%253D1235627270092%2526ssbinary%253Dtrue%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.colorado.gov%252Fcs%252FSatellite%252FRevenue-MV%252FRMV%252F1185870965336%3B246%3B130

I don't mind them as much now.  But, seeing all these different color plates in Colorado must be confusing for the police.  At least IMHO. 

My thought is the Alumni Org is taking the lead from the University and not issuing these plates as it's their full intention to come up with something different than ND in very near future.  As for the 'no new name crowd', which I consider myself to be proudly part of, I could live the rest of my days with the solid interlocking ND logo.  Maybe some #activism could help?  :)

• Upvote 2

How many people cruising down I29 would pull up behind a car with a North Dakota license plate with a green and white and black "interlocking ND" logo on it and think...."Huh, I wonder why North Dakota made Notre Dame specialized plates?"  I don't theink there would be too much confusion around here.

I do think that there is a minimum number they have to peoople commited to before they can make them.  You would think there would be enough UND fans/alum/etc. that would pay the extra 40 bucks for one!!

Jail2.jpg

Most attractive building on the NDSU campus.  That's the new NDSU indoor practice facility where the football team hangs out.

So you could get 50 to pony up the  dough and have Sioux Forever license plates made? UND doesn not own the word "Sioux". I'm not a ND resident otherwise I would check into this.

The plates are only available to support 501 © 3 organizations.  The organization has to be a non-profit that is recognized by the IRS as a 501 © 3.  The organization has to apply to create the plates.  A portion of the fees will go back to the organization (I believe that part of the purpose for the plates was as a fundraiser).  The Alumni Foundation could apply to set up plates to support UND because supporting UND is the purpose of the Foundation.  A bunch of individuals can not just get together to set up plates.