SiouxSports.com Forum

Memorial Stadium

darell1976

So when the completion of the IPF is complete, what next for Memorial Stadium? They won't need to have outdoor practice and track and field. Is there a way either UND could move soccer to it? Or how about this... make it UND's new baseball/softball stadium. Or would the dimensions not work for that.

So when the completion of the IPF is complete, what next for Memorial Stadium? They won't need to have outdoor practice and track and field. Is there a way either UND could move soccer to it? Or how about this... make it UND's new baseball/softball stadium. Or would the dimensions not work for that.

Oh, they will still have outdoor practices I would think. Need to practice in the elements sometimes......

Oh, they will still have outdoor practices I would think. Need to practice in the elements sometimes......

Just seems like it will sit empty for the longest time, and it should be utilized better throughout the year not when UND has to go to Cheney or Ogden.

Students seem to want it, and not just the fans. Many say they would go to games and even stay longer, if they were outdoors.

I will believe this when I see it. When I was going to school (1993-2000), attendance dropped when the temperatures did. I don't know how that will be different the second time around.

• Upvote 1

This. Target Field as an example of what moving outdoors can do to attendance.

I don't think its that Target Field is outdoors it is more so that it is a new stadium that people want to see. I am a student at UND and would much rather have a game indoors where I don't have to worry about freezing my butt off and can just relax and watch some football in a controlled environment.

I will believe this when I see it. When I was going to school (1993-2000), attendance dropped when the temperatures did. I don't know how that will be different the second time around.

I agree. Memorial stadium is pretty nice when the weather is good. But, it is North Dakota. God-awful cold weather come late October and November. Besides the attendance dropping, we have enough problems recruiting. We need a good indoor venue for players too, not just the fans.

The bitterly cold weather doesn't arrive till December/January, long after the last home football game of the season has been played. The October/November cold is tolerable if you're dressed for it. As a purist, indoor football just isn't as good as the real thing. Football is a game that is meant to be played with the elements being a factor.

Apparently you don't expect UND to be hosting any playoff games.... Me either.

Apparently you don't expect UND to be hosting any playoff games.... Me either.

OK. Have to give credit where credit is due. That was pretty funny, even if it was set up by Dave K. which is like hitting it off a tee, but hey it was there and you drilled it, good for you!.....please don't wait another 2200 posts to post something funny or relevant though.

it was well below zero for both of ndsu's last play off games last year, tailgating was a bitch.

UND would be glad to accept that problem at the Alerus. We gotta keep an indoor stadium. Or at least have that option. Recruiting, attendance, etc... I say retractable dome over Memorial... yeah, it's a dream.

Are you sure about that? Weren't those games like the last weekend of November and first weekend of December? I highly doubt that the temp. was subzero that early. I trust that there have been some years with subzero temps that early, but we all know that they are few and far between. But let's just say for the sake of discussion that your memory is correct... If they didn't have the Fargodome, would Dakotah Field not have been sold out with rabid Bison fans cheering their team on to victory in the cold? Would that not have gone down as one of those monumental moments that will live on in eternal memory? As opposed to just another bland day under the roof, exactly the same as every other day under the roof? I'm sorry but indoor football is just incredibly stale from my point of view. Never respected the 98 Vikings or 99 Rams for that very reason. What would Vince Lombardi have thought of playing football under a roof?

Maybe you should take in a Bison FB game this year if you can get a ticket and see if it's stale.

Why would I want to do that when I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in Bison football? Even if I could a ticket for free, I would much rather stay at home and watch a televised Big Ten game. And, for the record, I can tell you from the personal experience of having attended a handful of NFL games at the Metrodome over the years... indoor football is as stale in person as it is on TV. Why did I go to those games you might ask? Well, let's just say I wanted to see Bo Jackson, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, John Elway, Tim Brown, and Peyton Manning. As much as I enjoyed being able to see those guys play in person, the experience would have been greatly enhanced if the Vikings played outside where football is meant to be played.

I attend UND games because it is my alma mater. I am interested in them for that reason. I attend CSU games in Fort Collins because it is the local team and I took classes at CSU to finish up my undergraduate degree. I go to Wyoming Cowboys games because it is my graduate degree alma mater.

If I am in Fargo, I visit friends and family. I have no interest in going to the Fargodome and watching some lower tier football game that has no meaning to me. I'd rather go to a high school game where a friend's kid might be playing. I might go to Greeley from time to time with friends that graduated from UNC and see a football game. My interest there is that UNC plays in the BSC, so there may be something at stake for UND.

If I am in Denver, I might take in a Pioneers game when UND isn't playing. Because it's the highest level of college competition in a sport that I enjoy, and again, the game may affect the standings of the NCHC and ranking of UND.

• Upvote 3

Are you sure about that? Weren't those games like the last weekend of November and first weekend of December? I highly doubt that the temp. was subzero that early. I trust that there have been some years with subzero temps that early, but we all know that they are few and far between. But let's just say for the sake of discussion that your memory is correct... If they didn't have the Fargodome, would Dakotah Field not have been sold out with rabid Bison fans cheering their team on to victory in the cold? Would that not have gone down as one of those monumental moments that will live on in eternal memory? As opposed to just another bland day under the roof, exactly the same as every other day under the roof? I'm sorry but indoor football is just incredibly stale from my point of view. Never respected the 98 Vikings or 99 Rams for that very reason. What would Vince Lombardi have thought of playing football under a roof?

Furman game(2nd round - Dec 7): high -8F, low -17F; tailgating: negative teens, wind chill negative 20s/30s

Coastal Carolina game(quarterfinal - Dec 14): high +2F, low -12F; tailgating around zero, wind chill around -10F

UNH game(semifinals - Dec 20): high +6F, low -13F; tailgating single digits above, wind chill single digits below

info: NWS via Weather Underground

I attend UND games because it is my alma mater. I am interested in them for that reason. I attend CSU games in Fort Collins because it is the local team and I took classes at CSU to finish up my undergraduate degree. I go to Wyoming Cowboys games because it is my graduate degree alma mater.

Just a suggestion (and I mean it to be funny, not a slam), but I think if you took some classes at Wisconsin, Florida State, Georgia, Boise State, or Oregon, you might have more fun at football games you're attending...plus pick up a new alma mater or two.

Just a suggestion (and I mean it to be funny, not a slam), but I think if you took some classes at Wisconsin, Florida State, Georgia, Boise State, or Oregon, you might have more fun at football games you're attending...plus pick up a new alma mater or two.

True. But, I draw the line at Florida State. :lol: