SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Like I said, I was not sure.  I've been trying to find the number for 2014.  Some older information for fundraising shows them at 36 pushing for full funding.

Yeah if I recall they ramped up to 63 pretty quickly. I believe they went from 36 in the last year of DII in 2007 to 50 in 2008 which was the first year of DI and then to the full 63 in 2009. But the way last season unfolded, one would think we were still playing with only 36.

This is 100% true.  One would have hoped that Faison would have had the ability as an AD to not lead with emotion on this issue and sign a contract that will severely limit his ability to negotiate games in the future.   However, Faison has no idea how to do his job and quite frankly is a large part of the reason this program has deteriorated to the point it has.  

It's apparent from NDSU's press conference that the offer was more or less Gene Taylor's last insult to UND before he walked out the door and, unfortunately, thanks to our AD and head coach we were stupid enough to accept it.  We accepted an offer that was intended to be an insult.  That's where this program is at right now.  Also, any UND fan, administrator, or coach that thinks they will ever play a game in GF needs to have their head examined.  

I'm a UND football alum and a season ticket holder so it's incredibly painful to watch this university continue to be mismanaged.  This university just isn't serious about football.  I'm tired of the kool aid drinkers who continue to think that this program will improve or somehow catch NDSU while we continue to do the same stupid !@#$ that got us in this place.  Let's be honest this program won't catch NDSU by having the fourth highest coaching salaries in the Big Sky.  This program won't even win the Big Sky that way.  This program won't catch NDSU as long as our football program's offices, locker room, and weight room continue to be in our cramped, broken down old stadium.  Hell, fixing an obvious problem like that isn't even in the initial phase of the new IPF as the locker rooms and football offices aren't even in Phase I of the project.  We like to pretend that we have some grand scheme of catching NDSU but our plan is essentially the same tired plan of hoping for NDSU falter while trying to run our own program on a shoestring budget.  It's a tired joke.

I'm of the opinion that really the best thing that can come of this game is that they beat us so fucking bad next year that our alumni and administration are so embarrassed that they finally get off their asses and start trying to change the way we do things around here.  If that's what it takes for this university and community to invest in this program then so be it.    

UND fans are very tolerent of mediocrity and lack of championships.  When things started to go south with Mussman with the Sioux Falls debacle, critisism of Muss met stiff resistance here on the forum, with supporters of keeping on and hoping things got better out in force.  One football "expert" on the forum would regulairly confront people with the "what is the highest level you played" argument - insinuating that if you didn't spend at least a couple of years on the Viking's Taxi squad you had no football knowledge.  We were content to let a poor hiring decision turn into what looks now like a decade long rat hole.  Teams not getting it done - hey let's hope next year is better.  We don't demand success, we just hope for the best.  

NDSU fans dillusional as per usual regarding the Johannson commitment to Minnesota. Forum believed the kid when he said it came down to NDSU or Gophers. He was making the Bison faithful feel good. It was really down to Nebraska or Minnesota. Quality of a degree from Minnesota or SU. FBS opponents each week or combo fcs/D II? Ya right. Just so UND fans don't get too smug. When's the last time Gophers lost a hockey recruit they really wanted to UND. In hockey Minnesota doesn't recruit they choose. Back to fargo. Minnesota has picked who they wanted there going back to Bobby Stroup and Justin Conzemius and before that also. NDSU in football and UND in hockey have inflated sense of self storage

Ummm, Bobby Stroup went to UND. Got kicked off the team and ended up at UNO.

Yeah if I recall they ramped up to 63 pretty quickly. I believe they went from 36 in the last year of DII in 2007 to 50 in 2008 which was the first year of DI and then to the full 63 in 2009. But the way last season unfolded, one would think we were still playing with only 36.

That makes sense.  I could see UND a few schollies behind FU during the ramp up.  

I'd like to rip on the burger flipper from the College of Home Economics for making the 36 scholarship remark, but I wasn't even sure.   :silly:

My favorite quote from Bisonville the last day:

"If UND somehow manages to beat us, that's going to wipe out the accomplishments of our last decade!"

#thepowerofUND

National championships ring hollow when you lose to the knuckleheads up north.

National championships ring hollow when you lose to the knuckleheads up north.

Respectfully disagree. Will baseball recruits see more highlights of UND beating NDSU or NDSU playing #1 Oregon State on TV in the college baseball tournament? Will basketball recruits see more of UND beating NDSU or the Bison defeating Oklahoma in the NCAA tournament?

Before they all had to open their respective fast food joints, the folks at Buffaloville had been posting the idea that all Sioux gear will be disallowed in the FU dome.  I can see the SiouxS__k shirts, but the other gear?  Seriously?  

UND fans are very tolerent of mediocrity and lack of championships. When things started to go south with Mussman with the Sioux Falls debacle, critisism of Muss met stiff resistance here on the forum, with supporters of keeping on and hoping things got better out in force. One football "expert" on the forum would regulairly confront people with the "what is the highest level you played" argument - insinuating that if you didn't spend at least a couple of years on the Viking's Taxi squad you had no football knowledge. We were content to let a poor hiring decision turn into what looks now like a decade long rat hole. Teams not getting it done - hey let's hope next year is better. We don't demand success, we just hope for the best.

Absolutely.

In my perfect world, UND makes football just as big as their hockey. In order to do that, they need to keep on adding on. That means indoor practice facility, both phase I and phase II, along with increased coaching salary pool and Alerus Center football renovations. In reality, all of these things have improved or are online as of now, so one would like to think improvement is imminent.

Respectfully disagree. Will baseball recruits see more highlights of UND beating NDSU or NDSU playing #1 Oregon State on TV in the college baseball tournament? Will basketball recruits see more of UND beating NDSU or the Bison defeating Oklahoma in the NCAA tournament?

The "national championship rings hollowing" statement is a quote from Rocky Hager, coach of NDSU football from 1987 to 1996.

The "national championship rings hollowing" statement is a quote from Rocky Hager, coach of NDSU football from 1987 to 1996.

I'm familiar with Rocky...forgot the quote. Still disagree with the statement. Does Alabama remember losing to LSU in the SEC championship game a few years ago...or do they remember smoking the Tigers a couple of weeks later in the national championship game?

the reason why the bar kept moving on these games being played was that the ndac/gt/teammakers did not want this game at any price at any venue ever?  yet something changed and by the demeanor of the ndac officials at the press conference it seems like it was out of their hands...like they know something but can't tell the fans of the ndac?? something doesn't add up here?

the reason why the bar kept moving on these games being played was that the ndac/gt/teammakers did not want this game at any price at any venue ever?  yet something changed and by the demeanor of the ndac officials at the press conference it seems like it was out of their hands...like they know something but can't tell the fans of the ndac?? something doesn't add up here?

SiouxVolley has a theory on that.

• Upvote 1

I'm familiar with Rocky...forgot the quote. Still disagree with the statement. Does Alabama remember losing to LSU in the SEC championship game a few years ago...or do they remember smoking the Tigers a couple of weeks later in the national championship game?

My guess is that everyone associated with Alabama remember both very well.  As does everyone associated with LSU.  The loss still hurts and the win is still being celebrated.  It isn't either/or.  Beating a rival is special.  Winning a national title is special.  Beating a rival for a national title is an added bonus.  But even beating a rival for a national championship doesn't eliminate the memory of losing to them earlier in the year.

the reason why the bar kept moving on these games being played was that the ndac/gt/teammakers did not want this game at any price at any venue ever? yet something changed and by the demeanor of the ndac officials at the press conference it seems like it was out of their hands...like they know something but can't tell the fans of the ndac?? something doesn't add up here?

I think UND agreeing to terms that NDSU decided were too good to turn down had something to do with it.

I'm not happy about the game.... But when a team turns down a two game deal for x amount of money.... And then agrees to two games for less than x amount of money...it kinda makes sense I guess.

I'm still not happy about the game and plan on being in South Bend on the day of the game

I wouldn't say Alabama-LSU is that big of rivalry since its interstate; now, Alabama and Auburn on the other hand is a different story....

Auburn beating Alabama last year on that ridiculous final play will always be a memory for Alabama....

I think UND agreeing to terms that NDSU decided were too good to turn down had something to do with it.

I'm not happy about the game.... But when a team turns down a two game deal for x amount of money.... And then agrees to two games for less than x amount of money...it kinda makes sense I guess.

I'm still not happy about the game and plan on being in South Bend on the day of the game

this game isn't and wasn't about money...if the ndac's number one program (fb) loses to und's number two sport the fans of the ndac won't know what to do...ten years ago they had an option adn that was to go d1...now when the ndac loses to und in fb what's left to do??? the only way that question wouldn't have to be answered was if the game was never played ever and the teammakers/gt/lakes were trying to make sure this game never happened.

• Upvote 1

this game isn't and wasn't about money...if the ndac's number one program (fb) loses to und's number two sport the fans of the ndac won't know what to do...ten years ago they had an option adn that was to go d1...now when the ndac loses to und in fb what's left to do??? the only way that question wouldn't have to be answered was if the game was never played ever and the teammakers/gt/lakes were trying to make sure this game never happened.

I don't think NDSU went D1 because of losing to UND for the majority of a decade.

Long overdue move for all the Dakota schools.

Beating a rival for a national title doesn't erase the memory of losing to them earlier in the year?  Let me think back to 2000, 82SiouxGuy, for a second...I don't know what the Sioux record was against the Gophers that year and I don't care at this point.  All I know is that there is an NCAA hockey championship trophy with the words "North Dakota" on it sitting inside REA. 

Beating a rival for a national title doesn't erase the memory of losing to them earlier in the year?  Let me think back to 2000, 82SiouxGuy, for a second...I don't know what the Sioux record was against the Gophers that year and I don't care at this point.  All I know is that there is an NCAA hockey championship trophy with the words "North Dakota" on it sitting inside REA. 

You may not care, but plenty of others still care about every game lost to Minnesota.  Besides, comparing individual game losses during a college hockey season to games lost during a football season isn't usually an apples to apples comparison.  College hockey teams in the same league often play 4 games against each other during the regular season, plus may face each other during league playoffs and could face each other again in the national tournament.  Not exactly the same as college football where the teams face each other 1 time per year most years and might face each other a second time in a league championship game or a bowl game on a rare occasion.  The individual games in college football are normally much more memorable than individual games in college hockey, or even cumulative records for the season in college hockey.  This discussion is about rivalry games in college football.

As far as your example, I'll go back to 1979.  After several losing years, beating Minnesota to win the WCHA title was huge for UND (and those of us that were around at that time).  Losing to them in the national title game hurt, but it didn't eliminate the good feelings from the WCHA title.  Winning national titles 2 out of the next 3 years was even better.  But a lot of us remember that the streak started with that win against Minnesota for the WCHA title in 1979, not the loss a few weeks later in the national title game.

A tie, two wins and a loss. I remember it well. :p

• Upvote 1

You may not care, but plenty of others still care about every game lost to Minnesota. Besides, comparing individual game losses during a college hockey season to games lost during a football season isn't usually an apples to apples comparison. College hockey teams in the same league often play 4 games against each other during the regular season, plus may face each other during league playoffs and could face each other again in the national tournament. Not exactly the same as college football where the teams face each other 1 time per year most years and might face each other a second time in a league championship game or a bowl game on a rare occasion. This discussion is about rivalry games in college football.

You and I agree to disagree then if you think that UND would be losing sleep over a mid-season non-conference loss to NDSU in a year that saw the team go on to win its first FBS national championship. The rings wouldn't need an asterisk.
  • Upvote 1