SiouxSports.com Forum

abducted girls in Nigeria

Fetch

I got called recently for a survey about drones - mostly about use around here. We should use them on evil people like this Boko Haram group

Or better yet other countries can play world's policeman and get involved. Why is it the US's job to send aid, why can't Russia, China, Germany send aid.

Or better yet other countries can play world's policeman and get involved. Why is it the US's job to send aid, why can't Russia, China, Germany send aid.

Because as a nation our sons and daughters have been willing to to defend the lives and freedoms of not only our own nations children and people but those of other nations and cultures even when it is not the popular thing to do in the eyes of those who have never been in harms way. I can't imagine the anguish of those families of those children held against their will by violent cowards who hide in the jungles and hills abusing and murdering defenseless human beings. We do this because others don't have the courage or sometimes don't have the resources to take on difficult and dangerous missions. Unfortunately too often with these militant groups our technology won't always penetrate deep into these areas and we don't have the human intelligence often essential to plan a successful mission. I'm afraid this will take "boots on the ground" along with modern technology to get these people. Germany still has some post WWII restrictions and Russia is preoccupied . China doesn't care.

• Upvote 3

This is a very very disturbing story...the trafficking market in that region is rampant. Extreme Islam is rampant and spreading. Drones to wipe a lot of those b@$tards out...fine w me!

We as a nation are catering to the Islam religion in this country while trying to trample out the Christian values this country was founded on.

As far a China contributing...are you hopeful of the same China that contributed a whooping $100K...as an entire country...to the Philippines after their natural disaster!! Heck gfhockey and his good old boys could pony that up.

The USG has not catered to the Islamists in Nigeria... The USG designated Boko Haram a terrorist organization in November 2013, which allowed the USG several new opportunities to assist the region fight the group; mainly financial tools, but some other direct action ones as well. BH wouldn't exist without its catalyst--corrupt government. Our (USG) main concern with Nigeria is its human rights actions, or lack thereof. The Leahy Vetting requirements has made it very difficult to coordinate/collaborate with some Nigerian goverenment organizations. As for using drones in northern Nigeria....let's just say it isn't Yemen, Iraq, Somalia, or Afghanistan.... You have find and fix before finishing.

• Upvote 1

Because as a nation our sons and daughters have been willing to to defend the lives and freedoms of not only our own nations children and people but those of other nations and cultures even when it is not the popular thing to do in the eyes of those who have never been in harms way. I can't imagine the anguish of those families of those children held against their will by violent cowards who hide in the jungles and hills abusing and murdering defenseless human beings.

Why do we pick and choose what's important enough to intervene in and let others fend for themselves, ira? Why stop at Nigeria? A few months ago, our president along with the secretary of state were practically set to invade Syria...then the media lost interest in the story. George Clooney's pet project was Darfur in Sudan...and we did nothing. North Korea is run by a despotic butcher...and we do nothing. Venezuela's people revolted a short time ago...I bet most folks here had no clue about that country's government putting the clamps on its citizens. Where is the line between needing to step in harm's way to protect those who can't protect themselves and burying our head in the sand? Surely it can't be simply because CNN amd MSNBC suggest what world events require our intervention, can it?

I speak from a soldier's perspective. The politicians will send our sons and daughters and our military will answer the call. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go but our military goes where they are told the mission will take them. The question was why we go not should we go. Too many people have an opinion not based on what is right or wrong but based on which party is in power. No matter which side of the political fence you sit on, we must always maintain a strong and ready military. What we as a country have done to our National Guard and Reservists these past 10 yrs is scary. The guard and reserve were never meant to be our frontline military but as a ready reserve in time of need and a home force always ready for our nations defense and emergencies and when necessary to augment our active duty forces. To send these forces for 6-12 months or longer every 2 years is taking a heavy toll. Sioux MD, God Bless him is on his 4th or 5th tour in Iraq and Afghanistan. He serves in the guard. Our politicians think we should cut back our military yet they entertain the idea that we would intervene in Syria or other areas. There are not many combat veterans who support that dumb-ass idea. But no matter what the politicians decide, our kids will strap it on and buckle up and move toward the chaos. We don't get to decide if we want to go nor if we agree with the decision. I don't know if we should intervene in Africa or not but if our kids go, it's likely some will give the ultimate sacrifice. But rest assured they will serve with pride and courage and if anyone can rescue those kids the United States Military is the best in the world. (Makes Natty's and FCS championships irrelevant in the grand scheme of things)

• Upvote 4

Sioux MD, God Bless him is on his 4th or 5th tour in Iraq and Afghanistan. He serves in the guard.

Wow! I didn't know that, thanks for sharing that. Thanks for your service Sioux MD.

• Upvote 1

I know boots on the ground are always ultimately needed - but in the future I'd prefer drones to do most of the killing even to the point of just about total devastation instead of soldiers & if you don't think that's possible u have no idea what is coming in UAV future that is in its infancy (of all sizes) & I'm all for it

It is going to make war as we knew it obsolete

I speak from a soldier's perspective. The politicians will send our sons and daughters and our military will answer the call. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go but our military goes where they are told the mission will take them. The question was why we go not should we go. Too many people have an opinion not based on what is right or wrong but based on which party is in power. No matter which side of the political fence you sit on, we must always maintain a strong and ready military. What we as a country have done to our National Guard and Reservists these past 10 yrs is scary. The guard and reserve were never meant to be our frontline military but as a ready reserve in time of need and a home force always ready for our nations defense and emergencies and when necessary to augment our active duty forces. To send these forces for 6-12 months or longer every 2 years is taking a heavy toll. Sioux MD, God Bless him is on his 4th or 5th tour in Iraq and Afghanistan. He serves in the guard. Our politicians think we should cut back our military yet they entertain the idea that we would intervene in Syria or other areas. There are not many combat veterans who support that dumb-ass idea. But no matter what the politicians decide, our kids will strap it on and buckle up and move toward the chaos. We don't get to decide if we want to go nor if we agree with the decision. I don't know if we should intervene in Africa or not but if our kids go, it's likely some will give the ultimate sacrifice. But rest assured they will serve with pride and courage and if anyone can rescue those kids the United States Military is the best in the world. (Makes Natty's and FCS championships irrelevant in the grand scheme of things)

I do agree that the National Guard, Air Guard, and Reserve should never leave the United States. A good way to cut military spending is to stop sending the Guard and Reserve to war zones. Special Ops units are going to be the ones to go into Nigeria to get these kidnaped girls. If anyone should go and get the girls in Nigeria its the French, they have been operating in Africa for quite awhile.

Read the last part of this 2010 era article & imagine what has happened in 4 yrs & all the newer stuff being produced & tested right now

Yeah bad guys here should be worried to because it is going to happen

I'm trying to picture your reaction to GWB pitching to Congress his plan for unmanned drones patrolling the skies of the US under the guise of keeping America safe...

I guess I am not a fan of that happening under ANY President. The Executive branch has gotten steadily stronger since the beginning of the Cold War during the Truman Administration, when it is supposed to be a co-equal branch of government with the Legislative and Judicial branches. God only knows what the NSA, CIA and FBI all do without oversight or public knowledge. My real nightmare would have Dick "Darth Vader" Cheney in charge of the Federal Government. There is no telling how many wars we would get sucked into if he was Commander In Chief. :crazy:

They do. We just give more because our GDP is much larger than that of those countries combined.

Most countries give what they can after a world crisis. The US received aid from impoverished countries after 9/11.

The world is full of generous and wonderful people.

This is a very very disturbing story...the trafficking market in that region is rampant. Extreme Islam is rampant and spreading. Drones to wipe a lot of those b@$tards out...fine w me!

We as a nation are catering to the Islam religion in this country while trying to trample out the Christian values this country was founded on.

As far a China contributing...are you hopeful of the same China that contributed a whooping $100K...as an entire country...to the Philippines after their natural disaster!! Heck gfhockey and his good old boys could pony that up.

Muslims are not our enemy. Those Muslims who have you believing otherwise are just as much an enemy to the vast majority of peaceful Muslims as they are to us.

I'm in India right now. Everybody, from the Hindus to the Muslims to the Christians,have been as kind and sweet as I could hope for.

Our country does not endorse any religion but rather the notion that all are equal. I for one want to see that notion evolve even more.

• Upvote 1

The world is full of generous and wonderful people.

It's also full of evil ones.

Fetch, were you even aware of THIS story from 2011? Probably not...our news media didn't exactly go out of their way to publicize it and actors and politicans weren't creating catchy hashtag phrases to drum up support for the cause...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/12/nigerian-catholics-burned-to-death-in-their-cars-after-christmas-mass/#!