SiouxSports.com Forum

abducted girls in Nigeria

Fetch

I speak from a soldier's perspective. The politicians will send our sons and daughters and our military will answer the call. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't go but our military goes where they are told the mission will take them. The question was why we go not should we go. Too many people have an opinion not based on what is right or wrong but based on which party is in power. No matter which side of the political fence you sit on, we must always maintain a strong and ready military. What we as a country have done to our National Guard and Reservists these past 10 yrs is scary. The guard and reserve were never meant to be our frontline military but as a ready reserve in time of need and a home force always ready for our nations defense and emergencies and when necessary to augment our active duty forces. To send these forces for 6-12 months or longer every 2 years is taking a heavy toll. Sioux MD, God Bless him is on his 4th or 5th tour in Iraq and Afghanistan. He serves in the guard. Our politicians think we should cut back our military yet they entertain the idea that we would intervene in Syria or other areas. There are not many combat veterans who support that dumb-ass idea. But no matter what the politicians decide, our kids will strap it on and buckle up and move toward the chaos. We don't get to decide if we want to go nor if we agree with the decision. I don't know if we should intervene in Africa or not but if our kids go, it's likely some will give the ultimate sacrifice. But rest assured they will serve with pride and courage and if anyone can rescue those kids the United States Military is the best in the world. (Makes Natty's and FCS championships irrelevant in the grand scheme of things)

...and the soldier's perspective is one I like to listen to. Thanks for your service, ira.

Muslims are not our enemy. Those Muslims who have you believing otherwise are just as much an enemy to the vast majority of peaceful Muslims as they are to us.

Our country does not endorse any religion but rather the notion that all are equal. I for one want to see that notion evolve even more.

Nowhere did I speak of "Muslims" or did I say they were "our enemy". Extreme Islam doesn't equate to all Muslims but don't bury your head in the sand on this issue either. 200+ girls are not missing because of "peaceful" Muslims.

Our country doesn't endorse any religion but there are becoming more constraints on "Christians" in this country and to believe otherwise is ignorant.

It's also full of evil ones.

Exactly...

Extreme Islam doesn't equate to all Muslims but don't bury your head in the sand on this issue either. 200+ girls are not missing because of "peaceful" Muslims.

Can you imagine the demonstrations, violence, and anti-USA backlash in countries like Somalia, Pakistan, Iran, Libya, and many, many others if a Lutheran Church in Ishpeming, MI were to send a couple of buses to Minneapolis, abduct 200 Somali girls, bring them back to the UP, and force them to convert to ELCA ways?

Nevermind these 200 girls, though, let's focus on what's REALLY important to Hollywood these days...posh hotels owned by Muslims who (gasp!) are anti-gay?

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/09/310947517/hollywood-protests-against-owners-of-beverly-hills-hotel

They do. We just give more because our GDP is much larger than that of those countries combined.

Most countries give what they can after a world crisis. The US received aid from impoverished countries after 9/11.

The world is full of generous and wonderful people.

Financial aid in actual dollars pledged to the Phillipines following the typhoon:

China...$100,000

Germany 500,000 euros or just shy of $700,000

Russia...Zero

So of this generousity you speak of these 3 countries couldn't even come up with $1M combined.

Fetch, were you even aware of THIS story from 2011? Probably not...our news media didn't exactly go out of their way to publicize it and actors and politicans weren't creating catchy hashtag phrases to drum up support for the cause...

http://www.thegatewa...ristmas-mass/#!

I had heard about it

Some / most evil needs to die

The US really is always "damned if they do and damned if they don't" nowadays. If we do nothing, we're railed on by other countries. If we intercede, it's "Yankee go home" and "death to America." But, hey, maybe this Administration's new "Hashtag Diplomacy" will make this group release these 200 girls, right?

Fetch, were you even aware of THIS story from 2011? Probably not...our news media didn't exactly go out of their way to publicize it and actors and politicans weren't creating catchy hashtag phrases to drum up support for the cause...

http://www.thegatewa...ristmas-mass/#!

I had heard about it

Some / most evil needs to die

"Good" muslims need to stand up to these atrocities and be heard. Where are the "good" muslims? Are they cowards because they would be killed or ostracized themselves?

This is a very very disturbing story...the trafficking market in that region is rampant. Extreme Islam is rampant and spreading. Drones to wipe a lot of those b@$tards out...fine w me!

We as a nation are catering to the Islam religion in this country while trying to trample out the Christian values this country was founded on.

As far a China contributing...are you hopeful of the same China that contributed a whooping $100K...as an entire country...to the Philippines after their natural disaster!! Heck gfhockey and his good old boys could pony that up.

What does this mean? This country was not founded on Christian values. This country's founders wanted more than anything to keep religion out of government. What Christian values are being trampled on? The right to push your religious beliefs on everyone else? Sounds more like the Taliban.
  • Upvote 1

Good Christians need to stand up to their fellow Christians for trying to invoke their religious beliefs on everyone else.

I don't know of any Catholic or Methodist group resorting to kidnapping and forced conversion, do you? Were you forced to convert to Christianity when you moved to Arizona?

I don't know of any Catholic or Methodist group resorting to kidnapping and forced conversion, do you? Were you forced to convert to Christianity when you moved to Arizona?

They sure do like to try through the legislature. Like all TeaNut controlled state legislatures passing ALEC religious laws that cost the taxpayers a lot of legal fees defending and losing based on the US Constitution. I do seem to remember the Catholic Church killing a lot of people who would not convert. I also remember a mosque being burnt by Christians in Tennessee recently. I also do not remember Muslims telling Christians they can not worship the way they want in the US. Though I do remember Christians trying to deny Muslims their first amendment to practice their religious beliefs.

They sure do like to try through the legislature. Like all TeaNut controlled state legislatures passing ALEC religious laws that cost the taxpayers a lot of legal fees defending and losing based on the US Constitution. I do seem to remember the Catholic Church killing a lot of people who would not convert. I also remember a mosque being burnt by Christians in Tennessee recently. I also do not remember Muslims telling Christians they can not worship the way they want in the US. Though I do remember Christians trying to deny Muslims their first amendment to practice their religious beliefs.

I guess that's one way to look at it..........................

Like all TeaNut controlled state legislatures passing ALEC religious laws that cost the taxpayers a lot of legal fees defending and losing based on the US Constitution.

Whew! I guess it's a good thing that the President of the United States bureaucrats in Cincinnati are making sure they do their best to de-rail anything Tea Party related by putting the IRS to work...

• Upvote 1

Like all Tea Party Patriots controlled state legislatures passing ELCA religious laws based on the US Constitution.

FYP...

This is apposed to having a phone and a pen and circumventing the constitution.

FYP...

This is apposed to having a phone and a pen and circumventing the constitution.

If I didn't know any better, Goon, I'd say you're nothing but an "obstructionist" Republican standing in the way of progress.

If the GOP wrestles control of the Senate away from the Democrats in the next election, how quickly will Harry Reid reverse the reversal of his stance on the filibuster?

If I didn't know any better, Goon, I'd say you're nothing but an "obstructionist" Republican standing in the way of progress.

If the GOP wrestles control of the Senate away from the Democrats in the next election, how quickly will Harry Reid reverse the reversal of his stance on the filibuster?

This should tell you all you need to know. Harry Reid: Vote to Amend U.S. Constitution to Limit Political Speech... I would be willing to bet that the filibuster law gets changed right after the November Elections.

Some examples: Can wear a hijab to school AND have it as part of an athletic team's uniform for religious reasons but can't wear a t-shirt with an American flag on it or read the bible in school. Many examples you can find on all of those. Some want the Pledge of Allegiance thrown out of the school due "under God", our currency changed due to the phase "In God We Trust", which has been this country's motto since the mid '50s, but yet we can accommodate a room in schools and workplaces with mats so some can pray facing Mecca.

As usual we could go round and round and it would not accomplish anything...we won't see eye to eye on this. Constraints...I wouldn't use that term. A shift away from what this country was founded on...yes.

But why don't you give us your take on Jews/Israel and the death sentence just handed down to the 28 year old pregant "Christian" muslim in the Sudan. I love to hear your opinions on those topics.

Some examples: Can wear a hijab to school AND have it as part of an athletic team's uniform for religious reasons but can't wear a t-shirt with an American flag on it or read the bible in school. Many examples you can find on all of those. Some want the Pledge of Allegiance thrown out of the school due "under God", our currency changed due to the phase "In God We Trust", which has been this country's motto since the mid '50s, but yet we can accommodate a room in schools and workplaces with mats so some can pray facing Mecca.

As usual we could go round and round and it would not accomplish anything...we won't see eye to eye on this. Constraints...I wouldn't use that term. A shift away from what this country was founded on...yes.

But why don't you give us your take on Jews/Israel and the death sentence just handed down to the 28 year old pregant "Christian" muslim in the Sudan. I love to hear your opinions on those topics.

I am surprised he hasn't blamed Bush, the Koch Brothers and Fox News for that one as well.

Learn your history.

From the guy who has always worked for the dreaded gubernment.

So, you going to make some off handed crack about my job, too? You know you want to.

Come to think of it, didn't Watchmaker49 do that as well? Wait for it...

Learn your history.

History? You asked for examples which I provided. Typical response from you though. You always want "facts" but have a hard time dealing with them when they don't fit your agenda. Did I miss anything?

• Upvote 2

History? You asked for example which I provided. Typical response from you though. You always want "facts" but have a hard time dealing with them when they don't fit your agenda. Did I miss anything?

As usual you miss it all. You said the Christian religion was being constrained. What is being constrained, that you whine about, is the ability to impose your religious beliefs on others. Which is exactly what this country was founded on. The right to not have other people's religious beliefs imposed on you. Are students banned from wearing crosses around their necks? And what the heck is a bible doing in a school house for in the first place? Then you have the parents who think by sending their children to religious schools will keep their virginity in check until marriage. Doesn't happen.