SiouxSports.com Forum

abducted girls in Nigeria

Fetch

I have...and I even know some Jewish folks and "Christian" folks. Thanks for asking.

I guess I hate "blacks" too for being offended that a street full of them in a protests/march yesterday in NYC were calling for "dead cops".

Oh..........and this just in: Today the Taliban stormed a school in Pakistan killing 141...132 of those students with most under 16 years old. "Hate-fest" might be more apt here if you want to throw out labels.

Yes, the Taliban is an evil, terroristic organization and they will go down in history as such.  So are the Ku Klux Klan,  Operation Rescue, Timothy McVeigh's Militia organization, the Nazi's, and the Confederacy yet no one assumes that every White Christian male has common cause with them. I'm assuming you have nothing to do with any of the organizations above, much like all of the Muslims I know have nothing to do with the Taliban or Isis. 

You're right that internet bigotry isn't on par with fire bombing schools, but it also doesn't make it right and personally I'd set a higher bar for personal behavior than being a better person than members of the Taliban.

So Oxbow and Mafiaman, have either one of you ever even met a Muslim person? I've worked with and gotten to know many and for the most part they're just like my Christian and Jewish colleagues. Probably better as I've yet to meet one who is a hate filled bigot like some of my Christian colleagues. Just asking and sorry to interrupt your hate-fest.

Funny you should ask, dlsiouxfan...one of my best friends and a former co-worker of mine is Muslim, having been born, raised, and educated in Egypt. We have had many discussions on religious issues, culture, and politics. Despite some areas of disagreement, we have a good friendship.

Hate-fest, eh? Cue the SPAM response of "well, of course you have a token friend who is Muslim," right?

I always get a kick out of folks who immediately jump in and defend something like this attack in Pakistan as "not representative of all Muslims" but turn around and condemn Christianity because they know a Lutheran guy who doesn't like black people or read online about a Catholic priest abusing boys. Or, wait until the next white guy killing rampage in the US sends the news media into a frenzy trying to find a connection to the Tea Party so they can blame that political movement from top to bottom for the incident. Go figure...

I have another friend whose employer built a house for a Muslim Somali family thru Habitat for Humanity several years ago. The man of the house (who was at the job site) spent most of his time loudly telling the workers how much joy it gave him to have a bunch of "white infidels" building him a house in Minneapolis and how one day Muslims would rule America and punish Christians. Employees at the site became upset upon hearing these comments and told the company owner that they wanted to find a different home to work on. The home "owner" angrily informed the company owner that he would make sure to call the news media and report their "anti-Muslim attitude" and hurt his business. Of course, the business owner feared bad publicity and the employee "volunteers" were forced to finish the job. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free, right?

BTW, being Italian, I'm VERY familiar with how America treated my great-grandparents and grandparents in Boston in the early 1900's thru about the time Joe DiMaggio became baseball's hero. "Italians need not apply" and "no dagos" signs in shops in MA and RI when my grandpa was looking for work - I heard lots of stories from him. WOP, EYE-talian, dago, greaseball...I've been called all those things too, so, with all die respect, spare me a lecture on bigotry.

Funny you should ask, dlsiouxfan...one of my best friends and a former co-worker of mine is Muslim, having been born, raised, and educated in Egypt. We have had many discussions on religious issues, culture, and politics. Despite some areas of disagreement, we have a good friendship.

Hate-fest, eh? Cue the SPAM response of "well, of course you have a token friend who is Muslim," right?

I always get a kick out of folks who immediately jump in and defend something like this attack in Pakistan as "not representative of all Muslims" but turn around and condemn Christianity because they know a Lutheran guy who doesn't like black people or read online about a Catholic priest abusing boys. Or, wait until the next white guy killing rampage in the US sends the news media into a frenzy trying to find a connection to the Tea Party so they can blame that political movement from top to bottom for the incident. Go figure...

I have another friend whose employer built a house for a Muslim Somali family thru Habitat for Humanity several years ago. The man of the house (who was at the job site) spent most of his time loudly telling the workers how much joy it gave him to have a bunch of "white infidels" building him a house in Minneapolis and how one day Muslims would rule America and punish Christians. Employees at the site became upset upon hearing these comments and told the company owner that they wanted to find a different home to work on. The home "owner" angrily informed the company owner that he would make sure to call the news media and report their "anti-Muslim attitude" and hurt his business. Of course, the business owner feared bad publicity and the employee "volunteers" were forced to finish the job. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free, right?

BTW, being Italian, I'm VERY familiar with how America treated my great-grandparents and grandparents in Boston in the early 1900's thru about the time Joe DiMaggio became baseball's hero. "Italians need not apply" and "no dagos" signs in shops in MA and RI when my grandpa was looking for work - I heard lots of stories from him. WOP, EYE-talian, dago, greaseball...I've been called all those things too, so, with all die respect, spare me a lecture on bigotry.

In all honesty, what exactly is your point?  So you've met one Muslim who was a good guy and another who was a total dick, but since the one was a total dick it's better to just assume that all of them are dicks?  Why not just judge people individually instead of jumping to conclusions based on stereotypes or misconceptions?

Second, a lot of us had ancestors who were treated like crap by the people who came to this country before them.  It's more or less the American story.  My Irish ancestors were also !@#$ on, but it doesn't give me carte blanche to do the same to others.  It was wrong what happened to your grandfather, why would you want to do that to someone else.? 

Lastly, no one is defending the attack in Pakistan (especially me).  I don't know where you would get that anywhere in my post.  It's a cowardly, evil act and those responsible deserve severe punishment.  However, the Muslim guy down the street doesn't need to answer for actions he had nothing to do with, that were done 4,000 miles away in a country he's never been to.  You said yourself that you don't like it when people portray Christians or the Tea Party negatively over the actions of a few bad actors, yet your perfectly fine doing it yourself when it comes to Islam?

Wasn't there a guy who said "Do unto others, as you'd have done to yourself"?  A pretty important guy if I remember correctly. 

Yes, the Taliban is an evil, terroristic organization and they will go down in history as such. So are the Ku Klux Klan, Operation Rescue, Timothy McVeigh's Militia organization, the Nazi's, and the Confederacy yet no one assumes that every White Christian male has common cause with them. I'm assuming you have nothing to do with any of the organizations above, much like all of the Muslims I know have nothing to do with the Taliban or Isis.

You're right that internet bigotry isn't on par with fire bombing schools, but it also doesn't make it right and personally I'd set a higher bar for personal behavior than being a better person than members of the Taliban.

The Confederacy? Huh? McVeigh wasn't a militia member.

Lastly, no one is defending the attack in Pakistan (especially me). I don't know where you would get that anywhere in my post. It's a cowardly, evil act and those responsible deserve severe punishment. However, the Muslim guy down the street doesn't need to answer for actions he had nothing to do with, that were done 4,000 miles away in a country he's never been to. You said yourself that you don't like it when people portray Christians or the Tea Party negatively over the actions of a few bad actors, yet your perfectly fine doing it yourself when it comes to Islam?

If three Catholics walked into a mosque in Detroit tonight and chopped the heads off of every Muslim praying there, you can safely bet that the entire world would expect to hear SOMETHING from the pope as soon as the sun rises over the Vatican. So, why when the shoe is on the other foot, do Muslim leaders around the world bury their heads in the sand and pretend nothing's wrong?

Second, a lot of us had ancestors who were treated like crap by the people who came to this country before them. It's more or less the American story. My Irish ancestors were also !@#$ on, but it doesn't give me carte blanche to do the same to others. It was wrong what happened to your grandfather, why would you want to do that to someone else.?

Where did you infer that I "want" to do "that" to someone else?

The Confederacy is on par with the Taliban when describing an "evil terroristic organization"? Huh is right!

What else would you call an organization of traitors who took up arms against their own country because they felt they were going to no longer be able to enslave an entire race of people?  Like it or not, slavery in this country was every bit as ugly as the holocaust and other atrocities all across the world.  Our country should be ashamed of that past and it's a joke that we have an entire part of this country celebrates that part of our history

If three Catholics walked into a mosque in Detroit tonight and chopped the heads off of every Muslim praying there, you can safely bet that the entire world would expect to hear SOMETHING from the pope as soon as the sun rises over the Vatican. So, why when the shoe is on the other foot, do Muslim leaders around the world bury their head in the sand and pretend nothing's wrong?

Are you sure you want to go with that example?  I mean it's only been 80 years since the Vatican was looking the other way while the Nazi's and Mussolini's Fascists were sending Jews to gas chambers and ovens.  Heck, there are still Vatican higher ups in power now who buried their head in the sand and tolerated child rape.  

Also, there are plenty of Muslim leaders around the world who condemn the Taliban, Isis and radical Islam.  You won't hear about it in Western media because it doesn't fit the narrative or sell newspapers.  

What else would you call an organization of traitors who took up arms against their own country because they felt they were going to no longer be able to enslave an entire race of people? Like it or not, slavery in this country was every bit as ugly as the holocaust and other atrocities all across the world. Our country should be ashamed of that past and it's a joke that we have an entire part of this country celebrates that part of our history

Oh, I know that Jimbo and Billy Ray Bob from down south make easy targets, but you're aware that upwards of 90% of African slaves were actually exported to the Caribbean and South America - and not Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Or are you?

Oh, I know that Jimbo and Billy Ray Bob from down south make easy targets, but you're aware that upwards of 90% of African slaves were actually exported to the Caribbean and South America - and not Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Or are you?

Yes, and it was awful when it was condoned and practiced there too.  It doesn't make the Confederacy and the slavery era U.S. less bad just because other parts of the world were worse.  

Are you sure you want to go with that example? I mean it's only been 80 years since the Vatican was looking the other way while the Nazi's and Mussolini's Fascists were sending Jews to gas chambers and ovens.

Interesting, because noted Jewish Holocaust historian Martin Gilbert actually gave credit to Pius XII for various actions that saved the lives of many Jews and that Nazi bigwigs referred to the pope as a "mouthpiece" of Jewish criminals...

• Upvote 1

What else would you call an organization of traitors who took up arms against their own country because they felt they were going to no longer be able to enslave an entire race of people? Like it or not, slavery in this country was every bit as ugly as the holocaust and other atrocities all across the world. Our country should be ashamed of that past and it's a joke that we have an entire part of this country celebrates that part of our history

Um... OK. Back to the girls.... No, not all. BK still active, still aholes.

What else would you call an organization of traitors who took up arms against their own country because they felt they were going to no longer be able to enslave an entire race of people?  Like it or not, slavery in this country was every bit as ugly as the holocaust and other atrocities all across the world.  Our country should be ashamed of that past and it's a joke that we have an entire part of this country celebrates that part of our history

Slavery for all of its evil was only a piece of why the southern states seceded.  Economic, cultural and political factors were all big wedges between the north and south, and in many cases still are.

• 5 weeks later...