SiouxSports.com Forum

only people with sense of humor watch this video

gfhockey

What's all the uproar? There is no "Dakota University" ... other than maybe Si Tanka College (a college run by Dakota Sioux). I sure hope they aren't "dis-ing" those folks.

The University of North Dakota has no moniker, no mascot: no problem.

Exactly, even when we do get a new name it won't be Indian related so it won't affect us, the only name close to Native Americans in the Dakota's is the Bison.

The drunk Indian said he was the mascot of Dakota University ( which of course doesn't exist) but is of course making fun of UND. Remember that cartoon on the Gameday program when UND played Texas Tech, their Yosemite Sam mascot was fighting with an Indian that looked drunk. Let's just say if UND still had the nickname..this would've have killed it.

Umm. Thanks for the info Darell. You seem to have a firm grasp of the obvious.

• Upvote 1

Exactly, even when we do get a new name it won't be Indian related so it won't affect us, the only name close to Native Americans in the Dakota's is the Bison.

Coyotes. Jackrabbits. Also involved in native cultures.

Drunkie claimed to represent Dakota University. Pretty clear who that's supposed to be isn't it?

Yeah. UND.

You seem to be confused. UND never had a mascot, and hasn't even had a nickname for years now, while NDSU has a mascot closely associated with Indian culture. UND has the word "University" before "Dakota", while NDSU has them in the opposite order as drunkie recited. The father also clearly states it's a "state college", which strongly suggests he's referring to NDSU rather than UND.

You seem to be confused. UND never had a mascot, and hasn't even had a nickname for years now, while NDSU has a mascot closely associated with Indian culture. UND has the word "University" before "Dakota", while NDSU has them in the opposite order as drunkie recited. The father also clearly states it's a "state college", which strongly suggests he's referring to NDSU rather than UND.

May be it was the image of the N/A in the episode that is the dead give away? Not to mention the past history? Dont see how you can spin it any other way but I gotta give ya credit for trying.

• Upvote 3

McFarlane obviously heard about the arrests on the UND hockey team last week and thought it fitting that the UND Sioux mascot would be drunk.

• Upvote 1

McFarlane obviously heard about the arrests on the UND hockey team last week and thought it fitting that the UND Sioux mascot would be drunk.

Or since McFarlane can't use an actual college name without permission, he decided on the fictional name Dakota University and used a typical stereotype to depict Indians as drunk.

I'll assume you are joking.

Family Guy dumped on UND. And it was beautiful.

Other than folks in this region, how many people, honestly, understood that obtuse, obscure reference? Step clear from your opinions/biases either way. I'm thinking it went right over the head of the vast majority of viewers.

Other than folks in this region, how many people, honestly, understood that obtuse, obscure reference? Step clear from your opinions/biases either way. I'm thinking it went right over the head of the vast majority of viewers.

If gfNDfan picked up on it, I doubt it went over anybody's head.

I had never heard of much less watched this show. Didn't even know it was a TV show after I watched the link in the beginning of this thread till later on in the thread. Why do people think that showing a seemingly drunk Indian diss or make fun of UND? I don't get it.

Well, some of my UND friends claim UND(hockey) and some of the more "out there" fans on the interwebz seem to think UND has an enormous national fanbase via the hockey team. So....by that logic, those folks....and probably friends of those folks...would have understood the reference.

Honestly, most people probably didn't understand it. Some people may have looked it up...I've done that before for some weirder family guy references that don't click right away for me. It is a bit of fun for the fans of schools who do know...and maybe a bit of a peter-tap(light slap to the male genitalia) for the "Nickname at all cost" folks.

I'll assume you are joking.

Family Guy dumped on UND. And it was beautiful.

Nope. I can only assume the Bison faithful are all abuzz about being featured on a national TV show. I don't know for certain, because I don't troll their message boards or have any other use for Fargo in general.

Nope. I can only assume the Bison faithful are all abuzz about being featured on a national TV show. I don't know for certain, because I don't troll their message boards or have any other use for Fargo in general.

I don't know that I'm a troll. I'll say I push buttons.

No use for Fargo? I'll assume you drive to Minneapolis(assuming you live in the great state of North Dakota) to enjoy the benefits of civilization in such case...because the rest of the state is devoid of it....unless your idea of civilization is Walmart...in which case, I'm sure you are right at home.