SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Right when I posted my comment, I thought to myself... 'I'm going to get some smartass comment asking me if I know the nickname is gone'... and what do you know, we have a winner!

Just because they did a renovation and had to stay in compliance, I'm not required to enjoy parts of the Sioux tradition being stripped away from the arena.

Fair enough.  They did what they could to save quite a few things, probably beyond what they would in a normal situation.  My comment was more of a general one that people are surprised there is no logo because there was pretty much no way there could have been one with what they wanted to do. 

Because it is another step, albeit a small one, in the transition away from the Sioux logo and nickname. First Home of the Fighting Sioux words were removed from the outside of the stadium, then a few logos in renovation, 'what's next?' is my line of thinking.

I agree with you, in principle, but floor, court, and field logos have gone by the wayside since the 1990's due to the supposed "disrespect" of standing on it. Nothing more stupid than having a giant logo on a floor cordoned off so everyone has to walk around it - (see also: Justin Bieber and Chicago Blackhawk Stanley Cup). Just dumb.

I question your last point.

First, the ONLY sport the B10 could be a leader in is college BB. They collectively suck at FB and frankly I cant imagine what the benefit is to college hockey by having a B10 league when the creation of it ended the greatest hockey conference in the country.

Second which other schools are looking at having hockey teams? MAC schools? Former Big East schools? Not gonna be ACC or SEC or PAC 10 teams.

I think Mariucci is right and I said it back when the B10 was starting up that if this does not lead to schools adding hockey it will have been bad for college hockey. That said keep an eye on the following over the next few years.

Nebraska

Texas

Florida Gulf Coast

Illinois

Arizona State

Rutgers

Maryland

Yep I'm well aware im in the tiny minority amongst my fellow Gopher fans but they're either short sighted or only looking through the prism of college hockey. We are a Big Ten school end of story. I also know how arrogant my previous post sounded but think about it from my perspective. Why would I want my hockey team to be in a different conference than the rest of the other sports? Especially after the WCHA added Omaha and Bemidji. I have zero interest in playing these schools. Im also for expansion and more exposure for college hockey and there's not one person on this board that can disagree that the formation of the BTHC has already raised exposure and will eventually lead to more schools looking at college hockey.

Hmnnnn...I guess that helps explain the paltry attendance numbers for the North Star Challenge Cup...

#you're_not_Big_10_worthy_and_we_don't_care_to_watch_you_play

I agree with you, in principle, but floor, court, and field logos have gone by the wayside since the 1990's due to the supposed "disrespect" of standing on it. Nothing more stupid than having a giant logo on a floor cordoned off so everyone has to walk around it - (see also: Justin Bieber and Chicago Blackhawk Stanley Cup). Just dumb.

Have you seen the floor of the REA? There are Sioux head logos everywhere.. Unless I'm in denial and still see what has been removed?...lol

Have you seen the floor of the REA? There are Sioux head logos everywhere.. Unless I'm in denial and still see what has been removed?...lol

Yes I have...and I am quite certain it was a point of contention of anti-nickname groups not happy with fans walking all over Indian-head logos.

Yes I have...and I am quite certain it was a point of contention of anti-nickname groups not happy with fans walking all over Indian-head logos.

Not just the anti-nickname folks.  Many of us have too much respect to walk on that part of the floor.  My daughter even gets mad at the people who do walk on them, which, I have to admit, gives me a little shot of pride. :D

• Upvote 1

How does Zane not get mentioned in USCHO 10 impact goalies to watch?

http://www.uscho.com/2014/10/02/ten-to-watch-meet-some-of-college-hockeys-impact-goaltenders-for-2014-15/

I'm not even a Sioux fan, yet I find myself pissed off with this omission.....

Since he outduel the FSU goalie in the Regional Final I find this snub mind blowing.

Hmnnnn...I guess that helps explain the paltry attendance numbers for the North Star Challenge Cup...

#you're_not_Big_10_worthy_and_we_don't_care_to_watch_you_play

Again, that's a very short sighted view to take as It was only the first year of the conference.  And you must be talking about the Big Ten tournament because the North Star cup or whatever it's called had good attendance.  The playoff tourney didn't draw well but I'm not dumb enough to judge the success of a conference solely on a 2 day tournament. 

Easy. 

Pick one from each of the CCHA, AHA, and ECAC. (Reasonable.)

Pick three from HEA. (Maybe.)

Pick four (of six) from the %BigCantCount and blow off the NCHC completely. (Dear USCHO: You can't be serious.) 

That's how. Pay closer attention next time, will ya? ;):D

http://www.uscho.com/2014/10/02/ten-to-watch-meet-some-of-college-hockeys-impact-goaltenders-for-2014-15/

I'm not even a Sioux fan, yet I find myself pissed off with this omission.....

Judging by their post about impact defensemen, they're not writing about the best players. They're probably thinking these players are poised to make a larger impact than last year (or in the case of freshmen, play a big role on their team.) Nothing to see here folks, just things to fill the last remaining non-hockey days.

The fact that he was snubbed is ridiculous and USCHO should be embarrassed about it but it has nothing to do with the conference he's in. 

I agree it has nothing to do with the conference, however, I guarantee it has everything to do with what team he plays on.

I agree it has nothing to do with the conference, however, I guarantee it has everything to do with what team he plays on.

Are you kidding??  Why do fans of UND, one of the greatest and most storied college hockey programs of all time, feel like the little guy of college hockey who gets picked on?  It's nothing new and it's just never made sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

Are you kidding??  Why do fans of UND, one of the greatest and most storied college hockey programs of all time, feel like the little guy of college hockey who gets picked on?  It's nothing new and it's just never made sense to me. 

There are fans from pretty much every program that believe their school gets picked on.  It rarely has a lot of basis in reality.