SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey: "It's Always A Home Game"

Dave Berger

No chance.

The only ONE game that was 50/50 was the Sioux/goofer game that was equally very loud, both sides. Until the score became 3-3, then it became all Sioux fan loud all tge way till the end! It was a 6-3 finale, remember that one?

Oh good times, good times!

Other then that weekend in the 6 years I've been there, there has been no doubt more Sioux fans on hand.

Do you come here when you feel like arguing with people, or? I have yet to see a post from you where you are not arguing with someone or being all condescending.

He feels the need to make everybody know how great the gophers are. I believe they call it a complex.

Over the last few years there has been a different feel in the REA than my first game there. I cannot tell what it is because I am only there for a few series a year. BUT, I have not seen a "Kangas has a mangina" or similar sign in the student section for many years. Where are the students that give so much grief to the other players that there game is affected. Is this a result of REA policy? Is this a result of REA ticket prices? Is this a result of beer prices? I don't know but the entire game day feel has changed. I love going to the REA but the roof does not blow off that place anymore.

There are many factors at work here...

Number one: there are not as many students at the games as there used to be. Perhaps it is because this year, we didn't play Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Denver at home. Those rivalry games matter. Anecdotally, the student entrance has plenty of security/law enforcement personnel looking for any evidence of pre-game drinking. There is a risk of a minor in consumption charge, even for those students who aren't trying to bring alcohol in to the Ralph. I know we can say "they shouldn't be drinking anyway", but many do, and with this recent crackdown, they're smart enough to go where they won't get caught.

I know there is talk of reducing the number of student seats for upcoming seasons, and I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen. It's the law of unintended consequences: the Ralph wanted students to sit down, and be respectful, and practice Prohibition, and now we won't have as many of them at the games, and that's not a good thing.

Number two: with all of the home games on Midco Sports Network, some fans with tickets are choosing to stay home and watch the games on tv if the weather is lousy. Yes, most of those are trying to find other people to use their tickets, but in the wintertime (and on short notice), that's a tough task.

Number three: it's more difficult to cheer for a team without a nickname. Let's face it - the reason it's more difficult to get a "Let's Go, Sioux" chant started or to get a response to a "Sioux Yeah Yeah" is that some people feel uncomfortable not knowing what they're supposed to say. Should it matter? Maybe not. Does it matter to some? Absolutely.

And on that last note, as much as I love a good "Let's Go, Sioux" (and started a few myself on Sunday night), maybe we can try to get a couple of "U-N-D-*clap*" cheers started at Target Center this weekend?

Dave

Number one: there are not as many students at the games as there used to be. Perhaps it is because this year, we didn't play Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Denver at home. Those rivalry games matter. Anecdotally, the student entrance has plenty of security/law enforcement personnel looking for any evidence of pre-game drinking. There is a risk of a minor in consumption charge, even for those students who aren't trying to bring alcohol in to the Ralph. I know we can say "they shouldn't be drinking anyway", but many do, and with this recent crackdown, they're smart enough to go where they won't get caught.

Dave

Seriously? I just wondering...

Seriously? I just wondering...

No kidding. If true, that needs to end. Now if someone is belligerent before even entering the arena then fine, stop them. But looking for any signs of pre-game drinking would've kept most of us out of the Ralph (new or old) in our college days.

• Upvote 2

No kidding. If true, that needs to end. Now if someone is belligerent before even entering the arena then fine, stop them. But looking for any signs of pre-game drinking would've kept most of us out of the Ralph (new or old) in our college days.

But UNDBIZ, it's all about "family entertainment" now! I am surprised they don't use the big screens to play patty-cake with all the toddlers in the audience. :silly:

This is one of the reasons most people get nostalgic for the Old REA, where the atmosphere was second to none in college hockey and this kind of garbage didn't go on. The day is coming when there is no student section whatsoever. That will be the day I dump my season tickets. ???

Wow! I can't remember them doing this in the old Ralph.

Don't think they're allowed to bring in signs anymore either. They used to check them so they weren't too obnoxious,now I believe they're flat out banned.

I saw someone come in this year with a sign. Our group of people last year brought signs all the time and they were checked (they were the same signs). Made the security guards laugh every time.

If THAT is true, that is a shame

I can't believe that this is actually happening. Were there that many issues with students previously that the administration needed to "crack down" on them? Agreeing with all previous posts, the Ralph this year has felt extremely sterile and dead. Last weekend's CC games felt like I was at the Sunday Manitoba exhibition game, besides when Schmaltz scored to tie it up. I really hope the arena and administration get together to make the atmosphere better because 10k in the seats every night is just awful.

• Upvote 1

I know there is talk of reducing the number of student seats for upcoming seasons, and I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen. It's the law of unintended consequences: the Ralph wanted students to sit down, and be respectful, and practice Prohibition, and now we won't have as many of them at the games, and that's not a good thing.

Number two: with all of the home games on Midco Sports Network, some fans with tickets are choosing to stay home and watch the games on tv if the weather is lousy. Yes, most of those are trying to find other people to use their tickets, but in the wintertime (and on short notice), that's a tough task.

Number three: it's more difficult to cheer for a team without a nickname. Let's face it - the reason it's more difficult to get a "Let's Go, Sioux" chant started or to get a response to a "Sioux Yeah Yeah" is that some people feel uncomfortable not knowing what they're supposed to say. Should it matter? Maybe not. Does it matter to some? Absolutely.

And on that last note, as much as I love a good "Let's Go, Sioux" (and started a few myself on Sunday night), maybe we can try to get a couple of "U-N-D-*clap*" cheers started at Target Center this weekend?

Dave

Good insight. It's really too bad if police are going through the student line looking for evidence of consumption, like kids going to the high school prom or something.

I'll add another theory which probably won't be popular with many posters on this board. As you said, not having the top rivals on the home schedule this year didn't help things. But I don't think it's just that they were not on the home schedule this year, I think part of it is that UND's conference no longer includes Minnesota and Wisconsin. Without the Big Ten schools in the same conference as UND, there could be a perception creeping into the new students that UND hockey is not "big-time." Obviously those students that know about UND history, or know something about college hockey, won't think that way. But some of the new students that don't have much familiarity with college hockey might perceive it that way. I hope that's not the case, but you can't completely discount it I don't think.

Dave

Your 3rd point was something I've been thinking before but always dismissed. However, you are absolutely right. Some fans(definitely not me) seem to be tentative to join in the Let's Go Sioux chant. I saw it happen at the women's basketball game and Sioux hockey games last weekend. Someone would try to start it and everyone would just clap to the beat instead of vocalizing "Let's Go Sioux". It's too bad because I really hoped that the misguided decision by the Board of "Higher Education" would not affect people's use of the term Sioux although it appears it is beginning to, at least with the average fan. As far as the diehards...we'll say "Let's Go Sioux" until the day we die.

(cue gopher troll)

The Ralph is partly to blame for the lack of atmosphere at games. They turned a college atmosphere into a pro game. And that was their goal all along. They wanted to make a game at the Ralph "the event" to go to. They have successfully done that but not for the reasons that true college hockey fans wanted. There is so much more that could be done to make it a better atmosphere, but the Ralph cares more about selling advertising space on the video boards and announced over the PA than getting fans into the game. As long as people show up and have a caouple beers and a popcors, they are going to make money. I would really love to see the Ralph invest all the money they have gotten from fans the last 13 years and put it back into making the Ralph not only the nicest arena to watch hockey in, but the most exciting, festive, and fan orriented arena in the country. I don't think that is too much to ask.

The Ralph is partly to blame for the lack of atmosphere at games. They turned a college atmosphere into a pro game. And that was their goal all along. They wanted to make a game at the Ralph "the event" to go to. They have successfully done that but not for the reasons that true college hockey fans wanted. There is so much more that could be done to make it a better atmosphere, but the Ralph cares more about selling advertising space on the video boards and announced over the PA than getting fans into the game. As long as people show up and have a caouple beers and a popcors, they are going to make money. I would really love to see the Ralph invest all the money they have gotten from fans the last 13 years and put it back into making the Ralph not only the nicest arena to watch hockey in, but the most exciting, festive, and fan orriented arena in the country. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Part of this was a design flaw in the Ralph. Sure, the Ralph is beautiful, no bad sight lines, etc., but they designed it like a pro arena. Students are a unique and essential part of the college game. For a college hockey arena, they should have designed a student section right into the design. A section where the students could stand and not block the view of others. I know people will say you don't need to stand to get into the game. That's true. But it's also true that, for whatever reason, students like to stand and are louder and more into the game when they stand. Rather than fight that, the Ralph should have embraced it.

• Upvote 1

Part of this was a design flaw in the Ralph. Sure, the Ralph is beautiful, no bad sight lines, etc., but they designed it like a pro arena. Students are a unique and essential part of the college game. For a college hockey arena, they should have designed a student section right into the design. A section where the students could stand and not block the view of others. I know people will say you don't need to stand to get into the game. That's true. But it's also true that, for whatever reason, students like to stand and are louder and more into the game when they stand. Rather than fight that, the Ralph should have embraced it.

Yes x 5. And it should be RIGHT BEHIND the opposing goalie in the first and third, LOWER BOWL. Let the students have their fun...it's their team, their school, their pride.

They have that now, it's called the end section.