SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 CIT tournament

dakotadan

UND is playing in the CIT for a fourth consecutive year.

The CIT reseeds everybody after each round to try keep games regional, so no true bracket. These are the teams involved this year.

FIRST ROUND

Monday, March 17

Holy Cross (19-13) @ Brown (15-13)

Tuesday, March 18

VMI (19-12) @ Canisius (20-12)

Wright State (20-14) @ East Carolina (17-16)

Norfolk State (19-14) @ Eastern Michigan (21-14)

Chattanooga (18-14) @ ETSU (18-15)

Columbia (19-12) @ Valparaiso (18-15)

Alabama State (19-12) @ Sam Houston State (23-10)

Portland State (17-14) @ San Diego

Wednesday, March 19

Quinnipiac (20-11) @ Yale (15-13)

Towson (23-10) @ USC Upstate (19-14)

Cleveland State (21-11) @ Ohio (23-11)

Akron (21-12) @ IPFW (24-10)

Murray State (18-11) @ Missouri State (20-12)

North Dakota (17-16) @ Nebraska-Omaha (16-14)

Texas A&M Corpus Christi (17-15) @ Northern Colorado (18-13)

Pacific (15-15) @ Grand Canyon (15-14)

Anyone know why UNO was given the home game? Is it a bidding process? Based on RPI? They have a slightly better overall record and we have the better conference record.

Not sure but it seemed like most of the teams that agreed early to be in it are hosting. Wonder if the earlier invitees are given the option to host when they accept their invite, assumming they paying whatever fee.

Did Nash get hurt in the Weber game?

If Nash is hurt that means UND is down 3 starters heading into the CIT game with Omaha. Gotta ask, why even play it? I understand their are still seniors on the team but three of them got hurt in the Big Sky tournament. Now they will be throwing a shell of a team out there for the CIT.

If Nash is hurt that means UND is down 3 starters heading into the CIT game with Omaha. Gotta ask, why even play it? I understand their are still seniors on the team but three of them got hurt in the Big Sky tournament. Now they will be throwing a shell of a team out there for the CIT.

Also heard Nash got hurt but not sure how bad. Haven't heard anything further of Webb and Schuler but if all 3 are on the bench not playing then it would be a huge hill to climb in order to compete. Really not much time for the 2 or 3 to heal with playing this Wednesday and then again on Friday/Saturday if we win. Seems a dark cloud has followed this team the past 2 years as far as injuries and the impact it has had.

I tend to agree that IF Webb, Nash and Schuler are all out, it may be have been prudent to simply decline the invitation. There is speculation that both UNI and Montana may have turned down invites.

Why would you turn down more practice and game time opportunity for the rest of the team? Does the prospect of losing a game when you are shorthanded outweigh the opportunity to lengthen the season for the rest of the team?

I don't see the downside here.

Why would you turn down more practice and game time opportunity for the rest of the team? Does the prospect of losing a game when you are shorthanded outweigh the opportunity to lengthen the season for the rest of the team?

I don't see the downside here.

I acknowledge there's probably not much downside, but I doubt there's going to be any real practice time, either. Maybe a walk-through today, and another tomorrow night in Omaha. It's just a bit hard to get too excited about playing in the same tournament for the fourth year in a row, and with a severely depleted and fatigued team, to boot. But for a team like UNO, who wasn't even eligible to play in its own conference tournament, and who hasn't played in two and a half weeks, it's probably a great thing.

I acknowledge there's probably not much downside, but I doubt there's going to be any real practice time, either. Maybe a walk-through today, and another tomorrow night in Omaha. It's just a bit hard to get too excited about playing in the same tournament for the fourth year in a row, and with a severely depleted and fatigued team, to boot. But for a team like UNO, who wasn't even eligible to play in its own conference tournament, and who hasn't played in two and a half weeks, it's probably a great thing.

This. Plus the eight hour bus ride after just getting back from 4 days in Ogden should be really fun.

I fully understand that guys like Huff and Anderson will more than likely love another game before they end their careers. It is going to be tough, however, with that many injuries.

With this game, Huff should reach and pass the 2,000 career point mark, I believe he needs 7 or so to get there. He would be the third UND player to join the club (Guldseth and Vonesh). Aaron Anderson will play his 133rd game, which is a UND record. The game against Weber was his 132nd, breaking the previous record of 131 (Chris Gardner and David Robertson).

I can see why they wouldn't do it because of the injuries. But there is a few things that are positive

-Gives Hooker, Calcaterra, Salmonson, Stefan and Antwi another game where they will get good minutes. Potentially we may see Benton get a few minutes too. We will get a good look at next years team

-What hurts playing another game? If any of the 5 play well in this game(s), it can give them confidence going into the offseason

-Huff will for sure pass 2000 points for his career

-Gives the seniors, who are left, a few more games in their careers.

To me the positives outweighs the negatives I will still watch the game and if they win that is great.

• Upvote 1

So it appears UND may be without four of what were expected to be its top six players coming into the season--Brekke, Webb, Schuler and Nash. Since I'm positive the trolls will be coming out of the woodwork should UND lose to the Summit's sixth-place team on Wednesday, let me ask this--who would you expect UND to be favored against, on the road, in the Big Sky with this short-handed lineup? Anybody besides possibly SUU (and there's no need to even bring up the result of that game from earlier this month)?

So it appears UND may be without four of what were expected to be its top six players coming into the season--Brekke, Webb, Schuler and Nash. Since I'm positive the trolls will be coming out of the woodwork should UND lose to the Summit's sixth-place team on Wednesday, let me ask this--who would you expect UND to be favored against, on the road, in the Big Sky with this short-handed lineup? Anybody besides possibly SUU (and there's no need to even bring up the result of that game from earlier this month)?

Great question. I wouldn't favor them against anyone if they are missing those 4. We saw we couldn't replace Brekke. The other 3, if they are out individually we would be ok. Having them all miss action as a group, we don't have the depth to replace all three of their scoring and other intangibles. Minus Nash, that is a ton of experience to try and make up.

What does UND have available for a starting line-up?

C-Traylor

F-Huff

G-Antwi

G-Hooker

G-Anderson

Bench - Stefan/Salmonson/Calceterra/Benton

Or do you start Calcaterra instead of Antwi? Benton hasn't played much lately, likely going to have to see some minutes.

Right now our injured/ineligible players would give them quite a run for the money:

C-Brekke

F-Nash

F-Schuler

G-Webb

G-Tyler

Bench - Shanks

What does UND have available for a starting line-up?

C-Traylor

F-Huff

G-Antwi

G-Hooker

G-Anderson

Bench - Stefan/Salmonson/Calceterra/Benton

Or do you start Calcaterra instead of Antwi? Benton hasn't played much lately, likely going to have to see some minutes.

I would probably go with a starting lineup of Anderson, Hooker, Huff, Stefan and Traylor, and rotate in Antwi and Calcaterra. Anderson and Huff will probably both play very close to 40 minutes. If fouls or injury necessitate, Benton and Salmonson may also need to play some minutes.

Looks like UNO's starting line-up is roughly

G - Carter, 6'1"

G - Patterson, 5'10"

G - Simmons, 6'3" / Tyus, 6'1"

F - Rostampour, 6'8"

C - Karhoff, 6'8"

If Nash can't play, will be interesting to see how UND handles two 6'8" guys. They also have another guy (Hagerbaumer) who is 6'7" and averages 20+ minutes a game.

Didn't Webb almost play on Saturday? I have to imagine he will give it a go beings it is his last game.

In the post game radio show after the Weber St. game, it was reported that Jones said Webb had a tear in his meniscus. If true, I doubt we will see him play Wednesday. Also, if true, pretty commendable that he tried to make a go of it against Weber St. He started the game but came out at the first whistle...which was about 3 minutes into the game.

In the post game radio show after the Weber St. game, it was reported that Jones said Webb had a tear in his meniscus. If true, I doubt we will see him play Wednesday. Also, if true, pretty commendable that he tried to make a go of it against Weber St. He started the game but came out at the first whistle...which was about 3 minutes into the game.

If you took a secret ballot of the players after the disappointing loss to Weber shorthanded and knowing they will be shorthanded again and have to travel on a bus for many hours I would think the vote would be not to play. Truly the experience the younger guys get with probably a loss short handed will mean nothing come next November. They have traveled so much this year and have got to be so tired of the entire season and plus I'm guessing most of them would love to travel home and enjoy a spring break for the first time in their careers.

If you took a secret ballot of the players after the disappointing loss to Weber shorthanded and knowing they will be shorthanded again and have to travel on a bus for many hours I would think the vote would be not to play. Truly the experience the younger guys get with probably a loss short handed will mean nothing come next November. They have traveled so much this year and have got to be so tired of the entire season and plus I'm guessing most of them would love to travel home and enjoy a spring break for the first time in their careers.

Hope that is not the case. Whether they are Seniors or Freshmen, I hope they cherish every opportunity they get to play in a game atmosphere. Only a select few get in this world get to play ball at this level. I'd hope they'd look forward to every opportunity they get.