SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

So is Steiger a scholarship player or a PWO.   If a scholarship player what  kind of money does that leave for late additions.  I thought they were looking for defensive line or RB's for later additions.     Anybody know what's going on?   

So is Steiger a scholarship player or a PWO.   If a scholarship player what  kind of money does that leave for late additions.  I thought they were looking for defensive line or RB's for later additions.     Anybody know what's going on?   

Pretty sure he is a preferred walk-on.

Is there a limit to the number of PWO's that a team can have each season?

Just a limit on number of new players per year and number of kids at the fall ball before school starts.  I believe some of the transfers don't count toward next years number due to enrolling this semester.

Bubba said on Tuesday they could add 3 more players, not certain if Steiger is one or not because he said they would only bring guys in that would make an immediate impact this fall.  So maybe 2 more guys, maybe 3, but a safe bet is between 0 and 3 additions before fall.

Forgoing to sign an NLI is actually advantageous for many 5 and 4 star recruits because their status goes unchanged after signing day as they are coveted by many schools. However, this development likely won't affect many, if any, FCS programs just because the student-athletes they recruit don't have the kind of demand that student-athletes like Roquan Smith do. Most players at the FCS level sign an NLI to guarantee they are apart of the signing class and gaurenteed a spot. Since most FCS squads rely on their own internal player evaluations and post-recruitment development, classes are quite fluid and available spots come and go. The NLI will remain with the FCS, but top FBS prospects certainly do benefit to a degree by just saying "no" to the NLI.

Forgoing to sign an NLI is actually advantageous for many 5 and 4 star recruits because their status goes unchanged after signing day as they are coveted by many schools. However, this development likely won't affect many, if any, FCS programs just because the student-athletes they recruit don't have the kind of demand that student-athletes like Roquan Smith do. Most players at the FCS level sign an NLI to guarantee they are apart of the signing class and gaurenteed a spot. Since most FCS squads rely on their own internal player evaluations and post-recruitment development, classes are quite fluid and available spots come and go. The NLI will remain with the FCS, but top FBS prospects certainly do benefit to a degree by just saying "no" to the NLI.

You're right and the only case I can think of with UND would be Joe Schobert. He didn't sign cause he was a PWO and then after his summer Shriners game or whatever they have out in Wisconsin he gets offered by the Badgers and we lost him. A very rare incident. I think that this might end up being a real thing at the FBS level though. 

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested Brad Heidelbaugh is playing in the Class B tourney this weekend. He'll be on TV tonight and has a good chance of winning Mr. Basketball this year. Tanner Bernhardt is another impressive athlete for Rugby and I heard UND was talking with him. Anyone know where he is going?

The most impressive athlete I saw yesterday was Anthony Olson from Lamoure. I mentioned him before but I do not know how this kid slipped by UND and NDSU. I hadn't seen him play BBall since his sophomore year and he has got to be one of the best athletes in the state this year and maybe even the last couple of years. Check out the alley opp dunk the 5'11 kid threw down yesterday. He was grabbing rebounds surrounded by 6'4, 6'3 and 6'7 kids yesterday. Good job by Coach Dosch at getting him to Northern. 

http://www.wday.com/sports/high-school/3704217-lamoure-litchville-marion-wins-double-ot-b-over-new-england