SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Anyone have any info on Kyle Fowlkes, a safety from Edina High School?  The wiki site lists him as having an offer... I ran into one of his old teachers and he said he is going to North Dakota, but he is not showing up on any list as a verbal.  Do we know if he accepted the offer or not?

Is there a chance the other safety is McCabe?

I didn't dig too deep on names.  The safety position is just crucial to get into the system early.  As opposed to corners.....we could bring in a corner 2 weeks before the season and be OK with schematics. 

I would argue the exact opposite, especially at the FCS level.

Safeties call the coverages and make the checks, it isn't even debatable. The defense we run can be tough to learn. Tillman played day 1 and it took Blackmon, I think, until game 7 to get considerable playing time......that is the difference.

Safeties call the coverages and make the checks, it isn't even debatable. The defense we run can be tough to learn. Tillman played day 1 and it took Blackmon, I think, until game 7 to get considerable playing time......that is the difference.

Yet two of our most impressive young players in the last few years were both playing safety, still wonder how it could be if Cam could have played this year. I understand your point on coverages, but Tillman is a poor example as he was playing a good amount at an established FBS program and was a 5th year senior. We have had terrible CB play for years and this year was average at best. Linebackers can call out coverage just as well as safeties could if needed to.

Yet two of our most impressive young players in the last few years were both playing safety, still wonder how it could be if Cam could have played this year. I understand your point on coverages, but Tillman is a poor example as he was playing a good amount at an established FBS program and was a 5th year senior. We have had terrible CB play for years and this year was average at best. Linebackers can call out coverage just as well as safeties could if needed to.

Both of those safeties were in the program and redshirted I believe. The defense was brand new to Tillman, but he knew how to play football. Tillman simply checked with the safeties and did what he was suppose to do. Cornerback isn't complicated. The linebackers call the front 7, and have no part in calling what the secondary runs. That said, if the backers and safeties are not on the same page things can get ugly.

Both of those safeties were in the program and redshirted I believe. The defense was brand new to Tillman, but he knew how to play football. Tillman simply checked with the safeties and did what he was suppose to do. Cornerback isn't complicated. The linebackers call the front 7, and have no part in calling what the secondary runs. That said, if the backers and safeties are not on the same page things can get ugly.

Thanks for the clarification, makes me wonder why we haven't been able to find better CB's then. Also Kuksa was a true freshman, such a sad loss.

Thanks for the clarification, makes me wonder why we haven't been able to find better CB's then. Also Kuksa was a true freshman, such a sad loss.

You are right, they started working Kuksa in real early and his ability was worth the risk, and usually 1 safety can 'carry' the other somewhat in making the calls and checks. We totally blanked for 2-3 years of recruiting in safety and corner talent and we are still trying to recover from that. If Cam didn't get hurt.........ugh. The corners have been bad for a while now and Tillman helped bridge a gap for Harris and Carter, and maybe another guy steps up next year, too. We had recent corners at 155 - 170 lbs that were not overly fast, and that doesn't work. We should be OK without a JUCO or FBS corner for next year but we will bring one in if he is good enough to start. Coaches are big on Harris at corner for next year, and obviously Reyes at safety.

Anyone have any info on Kyle Fowlkes, a safety from Edina High School?  The wiki site lists him as having an offer... I ran into one of his old teachers and he said he is going to North Dakota, but he is not showing up on any list as a verbal.  Do we know if he accepted the offer or not?

I haven't seen anything about him committing, which is why he isn't listed as a verbal.