SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

So you are going to judge a kid who agrees to pull his redshirt for the good of the team because he is an inexperienced freshman who has a ways to go??? You think either the kid or Bubba wanted to do this? Mollberg who is 6'2" and 230 lbs lasted 8 games and Bartels who is 6'2" and 218 lbs lasted only 2 games. I hope the kid can survive 2 more games without getting hurt. I don't think you understand the difficulty all 3 of these guys have had to endure. They take a beating week after week. You expect them to stand in a collapsing pocket and make every play every time. You can't throw Studsrud under the bus. He should have 2 more years to develop. He is a good athlete with a lively arm. Judge him in a couple of years. Give either of the other 2 time to throw, a running game and receivers who can run the right routes and catch the ball, then criticize them. QB isn't the problem right now. If Mollberg is healthy he will be the QB. If Bartles stays, and heals he will be the QB if Mollberg isn't healthy. Watch the FCS games or the NFL games. The best QBs in the game don't play as well without a surrounding cast of players who can block, pass protect, run the ball, catch the ball and hang on to the ball. I disagree you are calling it "like it is". I don't think you are taking into account that no QB is much good without his teammates. You are calling it as you see it just like I am and the rest of us rubes who contribute to fan blogs.

Bartels needs to start next year ahead of Mollberg, assuming his shoulder heals.   He's always struck me as the better QB.   I'm not saying Studsrud won't be good some day, but clearly he needs a lot more time to perfect his technique.

So you are going to judge a kid who agrees to pull his redshirt for the good of the team because he is an inexperienced freshman who has a ways to go??? You think either the kid or Bubba wanted to do this? Mollberg who is 6'2" and 230 lbs lasted 8 games and Bartels who is 6'2" and 218 lbs lasted only 2 games. I hope the kid can survive 2 more games without getting hurt. I don't think you understand the difficulty all 3 of these guys have had to endure. They take a beating week after week. You expect them to stand in a collapsing pocket and make every play every time. You can't throw Studsrud under the bus. He should have 2 more years to develop. He is a good athlete with a lively arm. Judge him in a couple of years. Give either of the other 2 time to throw, a running game and receivers who can run the right routes and catch the ball, then criticize them. QB isn't the problem right now. If Mollberg is healthy he will be the QB. If Bartles stays, and heals he will be the QB if Mollberg isn't healthy. Watch the FCS games or the NFL games. The best QBs in the game don't play as well without a surrounding cast of players who can block, pass protect, run the ball, catch the ball and hang on to the ball. I disagree you are calling it "like it is". I don't think you are taking into account that no QB is much good without his teammates. You are calling it as you see it just like I am and the rest of us rubes who contribute to fan blogs.

Carson Palmer, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner.

I think UND would be in "better shape" if it wasn't for the injuries. Injuries happen every year but it seems like this year its hitting almost everyone and especially in key positions (QB, WR, RB) on offense. I wouldn't worry about NDSU that is game three on the season worry about Wyoming and Drake first. If UND beats Wyoming (and Craig Bohl) all will be forgotten about Bubba's decision to play NDSU. We will have 2 Jr. QB's coming into next year, but it does nothing if our OL stays poor. Seems like what Garmin did against WSU our OL is better at run blocking than pass blocking, maybe we recruit better pass blocking linemen along with WR's that can catch a ball (saw a lot of drops during the Weber St game). When Bubba and company hit the recruiting trail they will have a lot on their plate for next year to get this team above .500.

If it were home and home, then great, let's have at it - but to agree to these terms is just plain reckless.

I was watching the news coverage on WDAZ right after the games were announced and something Bubba said gave me pause. He said that the players deserve to experience the excitement of playing a rival. It was then that I realized that every other UND team gets to enjoy the hype and craziness of a rival week, including all the media coverage EXCEPT the football team.

So when Bubba said he couldn't keep preventing his players that experience, I not only could see some logic behind the agreement, but I stopped being upset about it.

Bartels needs to start next year ahead of Mollberg, assuming his shoulder heals.   He's always struck me as the better QB.   I'm not saying Studsrud won't be good some day, but clearly he needs a lot more time to perfect his technique.

Not necessarily. Mollberg was developing as a leader of this team and playing well before he was hurt. Bartels will be the starter if Mollberg doesn't heal fast enough. He will be the starter if he improves beyond how Mollberg improves. He must commit to staying here for either of those scenarios. Bubba will again choose the guy who gives us the best chance of being successful. What they have done to this point won't get them or lose them the starting position. What matters to date is that Mollberg has "struck" Bubba and the coaches as the better QB. Won't matter come this spring so I hope they both heal and they both improve. Whomever the starter is, give them time to throw and guys who catch the ball and a running game and we will probably be happy with either of them. Time will tell.

I was watching the news coverage on WDAZ right after the games were announced and something Bubba said gave me pause. He said that the players deserve to experience the excitement of playing a rival. It was then that I realized that every other UND team gets to enjoy the hype and craziness of a rival week, including all the media coverage EXCEPT the football team.

So when Bubba said he couldn't keep preventing his players that experience, I not only could see some logic behind the agreement, but I stopped being upset about it.

Its tough now to think of Montana, Montana State and Northern Colorado as a "rival", they are good games to go to, but its nothing like NDSU. 

Recruiting?

I'd rather find a way to clone the late 1980s era Washington O like (Jacoby, Grimm, et al) or the 1970s era Raiders O line (Shell, Upshaw, et al). And while we're at it, can I get the '85 Bears D line (Fridge, McMichael, et al) or the Purple People eaters (Marshall, Eller, Page)?

Give me one O line and one D line from above and I'd call it good. Not too picky, am I?

Here are some keys that I believe are essential to our success . We have some kids here who can play. We need to get more quality kids and we need to allow the kids we have develop. We have a good start to 2015 recruiting but we need to continue to get quality kid to fill out the 2015 class. We need some key transfers and some key JUCO kids. We need to fast track the indoor practice facility and especially get phase 2 started within the next year. This needs to be a priority for the University as well as the athletic dept. This facility must be designed to upgrade our speed and strength and conditioning for all sports. If also needs to be a research facility for not just Sports Medicine, kinesiology and excercise physiology but occupational health and work related injuries. Include that in the plan, involve the med school and attract oil money with the plan to study prevention, treatment and rehab for oil industry related injuries. That facility is one of the major keys to our success in Div 1 moving forward. I don't believe we are as far away as some but I may be wrong.

Anyone know how the fundraising is progressing for Phase II of the IPF?

Recruiting?

I'd rather find a way to clone the late 1980s era Washington O like (Jacoby, Grimm, et al) or the 1970s era Raiders O line (Shell, Upshaw, et al). And while we're at it, can I get the '85 Bears D line (Fridge, McMichael, et al) or the Purple People eaters (Marshall, Eller, Page)?

Give me one O line and one D line from above and I'd call it good. Not too picky, am I?

I would rather have Dan Marino as QB, a coach like Shula, defense like the no-names of the '72 Dolphins, and a big back like Larry Csonka. Skip Garo Yepremian as a kicker/QB.

Yes. Moreso because some of them aren't a lean as they should be. We used to have big fit mobile OL that would smash people for four quarters.

UND needs to bring in at least 4, maybe 5 or 6, offensive linemen for 2015. And at least 1 of those needs to be a transfer, preferably FBS drop down. Obviously better skill position players are needed too, but it starts up front for UND's offense. I'm confident one of the three QBs (Mollberg, Bartels, or Studsrud) can lead this team if the line is averaging over 3 YPC. That will require better talent than is currently on the roster, though. As you have said, Knauf (OL coach) is not high on the OL personnel UND currently has.

As for the defensive line, the future looks good.

Both Dranka and Greely look good for true freshmen; they have a bright future. Add in Hinojosa, Carrothers, and Woodsmall and I think UND has good DL group. Doesn't hurt to add a FBS transfer though; also need to consider good HS group coming in with 2015 recruiting class.

Given Bubba's philosophy, UND's success starts and ends in the trenches. Right now, the DL is playing way better than the OL, and the level of play of the offense and defense in games indicates that.

I'm a firm believer that football has and always will be about the line play...Install the people and the system, then the rest will take care of itself.  I have been disappointed in the offensive line play, but I think we should have expected that as Bubba was most likely trying to figure out how to improve the fastest and his view was most likely defense.  If I am correct he tried to move some of the faster guys out of the OL and onto the DL...Some took to the opportunity and some did not and left. 

I also think the team has been impacted significantly from players being injured and also leaving the team.  I can only imagine the negative effect this has on teams when players start to defect from the system.

Lastly, my expectations have already been met with the 3 wins this year and I know Bubba and his team will have one hell of a recruiting class next year and another year of their system under the belt of the remaining players...things are definitely looking up in my view which is don't sacrifice the long term gain for short term gain.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 1

I'm a firm believer that football has and always will be about the line play...Install the people and the system, then the rest will take care of itself.  I have been disappointed in the offensive line play, but I think we should have expected that as Bubba was most likely trying to figure out how to improve the fastest and his view was most likely defense.  If I am correct he tried to move some of the faster guys out of the OL and onto the DL...Some took to the opportunity and some did not and left. 

I also think the team has been impacted significantly from players being injured and also leaving the team.  I can only imagine the negative effect this has on teams when players start to defect from the system.

Lastly, my expectations have already been met with the 3 wins this year and I know Bubba and his team will have one hell of a recruiting class next year and another year of their system under the belt of the remaining players...things are definitely looking up in my view which is don't sacrifice the long term gain for short term gain.

BobIwabuchiFan

Well said, one of the few times we are on the same side of something.