SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Hey guys tough loss last week. Let's hope for a good bounce back. I've noticed UND recruits a lot in CANADA.

I have an opinion; in order to win you need talent. the hotbed for talent is South Florida. Example, last year there was a QB, Kaleel Render. Probably the best QB 've seen. No one picked him up because of grades. I would take a chance and have him sit out a season and tutor him to the max. There are so many players that don't get picked up in South Florida, they end up going to JUCO. S. Sla is a hotbed for football and a definite swagger. Miami has a bad rap because kids feel they are so good that they should play immediately.

Coaches don't like that. Give me heart and passion and a player who wants to play than a player who's there just to say he got offered.

Those twins you guys talk about seem good. Haven't heard much about them. They might be sleepers. Their school plays in a week district where linemen weigh 240-250 tops. But with that said, they have some impressive numbers.

Look at every big time school and see how many Florida boys are on the roster.

GO SIOUXXXX

UND and other schools in the area that don't play at the top level have a much higher attrition rate with players not from the Midwest or in their general recruiting footprint.  It is a fair amount of culture shock and what can be brutal winters on top of being a long, long way from home.  Not saying that UND shouldn't look at kids from outside that area, they definitely do.  And I'm guessing they will continue to take a few kids outside of the normal recruiting footprint, but it has just been shown again and again that their is a much higher attrition rate when you go outside that area.  For a program that is severely lacking depth, rolling the dice on too many players that have a higher chance of leaving isn't going to help right the ship.

Speaking of which, this topic hits me home. Tim Brewster was MN head coach. Got fired and became FSU te/ recruiting coordinator. What did FSU do?

Bill Miller, MN LB coach. Now as of last year, FSU LB coach. Coach Kill sat and told me in my son's high school football coaches office, "I will treat him like my son, and he will never lose his scholarship." He forget to say my redheaded freckle face stepson and he won't lose his scholarship unless I don't want him anymore. Never gave me a reason as to why Jordan lost it. But, if it wasn't for the 3 POWER PUFF UNIVERSITIES he plays at the beginning of the year, he would not go to a bowl.  

mediocrity at its best.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest again.

I know you have a personal issue with Minnesota and Coach Kill but he has done a great job turning that program back around and there is a reason he ended up 3rd when FBS coaches voted which coach they most would like their son to play for. As for the schedule they play it is similar to a lot of power 5 conference teams schedules they had Eastern Illinois who definitely was a cupcake, Middle Tennessee State a bowl team last year, TCU a Big 12 team coming of a bad year looking poised for a bounce back year, and San Jose State a .500 Mountain West team last year.

Regarding your other post about taking a guy who doesn't have the grades, most of those guys have to go to JUCO in order to qualify.

Going to south florida and taking chances on guys doesn't seem to fit with how bubba wants to build this thing, but who knows?

On the flip side, Maurice is from Florida and has a lot of connections down there, so the connections are there if we can find what we need....... 

Going to south florida and taking chances on guys doesn't seem to fit with how bubba wants to build this thing, but who knows?

If these kids really have their hearts set on UND, you don't turn them away.  Having said that, I agree with you.  Focus on the Midwest first and then look outside of that footprint for skill position players you can't find close to home.

Just a tidbit. Please don't get me wrong, I feel it can be done. I think the cold has nothing to do with it, it where the kids feel at home;

Kids from Florida at super cold schools:

Wisconsin 11

Indiana   11

Syracuse  14

OSU  5

WVU   22

NDSU  7

WVU Indiana and OSU are not super cold schools. I wouldn't even have Syracuse considered in that.

Wisconsin has 11...

That was the Barry Alvarez approach and two coaches later it's still in play. Personally, I think it's what UND should do too. Midwest is for linemen, quarterbacks, linebackers, and tight ends/fullbacks. Florida is for the remaining skill position players, because well, Florida has SPEED.

Wisconsin has 11...

That was the Barry Alvarez approach and two coaches later it's still in play. Personally, I think it's what UND should do too. Midwest is for linemen, quarterbacks, linebackers, and tight ends/fullbacks. Florida is for the remaining skill position players, because well, Florida has SPEED.

I agree with you, Midwest linemen and LB's. CA for QB's. TX SKILL. FL SKILL.

Hands down, Midwest has the best linemen. BIG TEN makes a living off of that.

Wisconsin has 11...

I'd take another Brady Trenbeath or Weston Dressler though....

• Upvote 1

What makes you think a kid "won't fit" based on geography.  Depends on the kids academic needs and how mature they are etc.  No matter what some people think, we have to go outside of our former recruiting areas to find players.  Florida has a lot of them.  These twins look like great prospects.

What makes you think a kid "won't fit" based on geography. Depends on the kids academic needs and how mature they are etc. No matter what some people think, we have to go outside of our former recruiting areas to find players. Florida has a lot of them. These twins look like great prospects.

Winning also tends to keep players happier away from home.

What makes you think a kid "won't fit" based on geography. Depends on the kids academic needs and how mature they are etc. No matter what some people think, we have to go outside of our former recruiting areas to find players. Florida has a lot of them. These twins look like great prospects.

DI football programs recruit outside of their respective region to be successful. Some of the most successful Midwest DI programs have been NDSU, SDSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa. All of those programs emphasize the region for certain positions, particularly linemen, linebackers, quarterbacks, and tight ends/fullbacks. Most of the skill position players of those programs are sourced from BOTH the region and outer areas, like Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Texas and Florida. It is what it is and UND will have to do this too.

The High Performance Center indoor practice facility should go a long ways towards pleasing out of region recruits. Like I said in another post, the best two things to happen to this program in recent memory are Bubba and the IPF.

There is a QB in Colorado UND is looking at as well as some others.  Justin Roberts at Pomona High School which is the 2nd ranked team in Colorado right now and in the highest classification.  Looks like a big physical kid that can really throw it.  Here is a link to his hudl film.   Has North Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, and San Diego on his list of schools showing interest.  Will see what direction UND goes with that spot I would think fairly soon. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/160660376

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/163601377

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/80763382

There is a QB in Colorado UND is looking at as well as some others. Justin Roberts at Pomona High School which is the 2nd ranked team in Colorado right now and in the highest classification. Looks like a big physical kid that can really throw it. Here is a link to his hudl film. Has North Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, and San Diego on his list of schools showing interest. Will see what direction UND goes with that spot I would think fairly soon.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/160660376

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/163601377

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1508037/highlights/80763382

Looks like a very good athlete. I'd like to see him throw from the pocket more to see how his feet are. He can throw on the run really well which would work well in our offense. Anyone else see a Phillip Rivers type release?

Looks like a very good athlete. I'd like to see him throw from the pocket more to see how his feet are. He can throw on the run really well which would work well in our offense. Anyone else see a Phillip Rivers type release?

Kid has a very quick release and seems fairly accurate.  Plays against the top level of competition in Colorado also.  

What makes you think a kid "won't fit" based on geography.  Depends on the kids academic needs and how mature they are etc.  No matter what some people think, we have to go outside of our former recruiting areas to find players.  Florida has a lot of them.  These twins look like great prospects.

My comment wasn't about the twins specifically, or about whether I think Bubba should focus more of high risk kids in Florida.

It is my opinion, after reading Bubba's comments on his recruiting philosophy thus far, that putting more focus on high risk recruits in Florida doesn't fit with that philosophy.

I could certainly be wrong.

My comment wasn't about the twins specifically, or about whether I think Bubba should focus more of high risk kids in Florida.

It is my opinion, after reading Bubba's comments on his recruiting philosophy thus far, that putting more focus on high risk recruits in Florida doesn't fit with that philosophy.

I could certainly be wrong.

They just can't try and force it like Mussman and co did at first. They really wanted to get a ton of Cali players but that failed miserably because they didn't respect the program and thought it was a joke. I have no problem with a few southern kids each year but only if they're a fit, you can't force it.