SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Miami

AZSIOUX

now wouldn't that be something if und swept the worst team in the league and next week goes on the road and sweeps the best just to bookend it.

They'll need if if they want to hoist the Penrose Cup...St Cloud's season-ending series opponent couldn't be any more tailor-made to their liking.

Let's try to look at this objectively: 1) Miami entered the weekend dead last in the NCHC 2) They completely forgot to show up Saturday 3) They are easily the worst team I have seen play D in their own end in years 4) UND looked like a completely different team Saturday vs any other game I have seen them play this year.

So I think it was a combo of all the above...but I would like to think that if the players on UND are given the freedom to skate, create and pressure like they did Saturday that we will see more of that type of play moving forward regardless of how Miami played...especially on Saturday. If you have some horses you gotta let 'em run!

Couldn't agree more about letting them play. Hopefully this is a sign that Hak will unleash the forewards a bit more. That could be just what we need down the stretch. I also liked the fact we didn't back off like we sometimes do with a lead. I think we'll know after this weekend if the changes are perminent.

I enjoy how Hak gets little to no credit for a win like that because "he loosened the system" or "let them free skate." I'd say it was more a result of the major motivator for the players to right the ship on Saturdays and Miami completely tanking. The Sioux players weren't frustrated and I think were more able to take advantage of their system as intended.

No, Dean would've pulled the goalie and then intentionally got kicked out of the game in the 2nd period, snuck back onto the bench wearing a funny nose, mustache, and black horn-rimmed glasses disguise, and rallies the troops to put the SCSU game out of reach, we'd be undefeated.

Fixed your post to be more realistic...

• Upvote 1

What amazes me is McKay had a GAA around 1.50 and a save % of around .950 last season. He was just awful this past weekend. I get having a bad game will happen but I heard thru the grapevine at the Ralph that Wilbur was fielding text messages about mid way thru the 2nd period Saturday from the Miami bench if he could suit up!

What amazes me is McKay had a GAA around 1.50 and a save % of around .950 last season. He was just awful this past weekend. I get having a bad game will happen but I heard thru the grapevine at the Ralph that Wilbur was fielding text messages about mid way thru the 2nd period Saturday from the Miami bench if he could suit up!

Yeah, confidence is a funny thing. He shared USHL goaltender of the year honors with Zane Gothberg, but he seems to have lost the confidence factor a bit.

Yeah, confidence is a funny thing. He shared USHL goaltender of the year honors with Zane Gothberg, but he seems to have lost the confidence factor a bit.

Part of it is on their defensemen as well. At least two of the goals came about because Sioux players shot it in right off of Miami defenders sticks. Their defense was pathetic at clearing the puck, protecting the front of the net, and communicating with their goalie. Several times Miami defensemen took their own goalie out of the play. Of course, a couple of times the goalies took themselves out of the play.

We seem to be winning some minds over, bigskyvikes. Just look at fightingsioux4life's last post - I read it several times over and have convinced myself that he's almost being positive with some of his comments.

Did you really think I was going to complain about a sweep at home? I call them as I see them, good, bad or ugly. Sweeping Miami (regardless of their current record) at home is a big positive with four tough road games coming up. I just hope the momentum carries over.

• Upvote 2

Part of it is on their defensemen as well. At least two of the goals came about because Sioux players shot it in right off of Miami defenders sticks. Their defense was pathetic at clearing the puck, protecting the front of the net, and communicating with their goalie. Several times Miami defensemen took their own goalie out of the play. Of course, a couple of times the goalies took themselves out of the play.

You definitely nailed that....the Miami defense just stopped working.

The puck handling of the goalie was terrible and may have deflated the D....but confidence and drive are out the window when the D corp gives up

Since last night, apparently...

From my preview:

"Miami is a better team than their record indicates, and Ryan McKay can definitely steal a game for the RedHawks. That being said, look for UND to click on the power play early and often and cruise on Saturday after winning a thriller on Friday night. UND 4-3, 5-2."

What do I win? :)

Dave

Please predict the same thing next week.