SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Tournament

IowaSioux24

I was going to suggest that option myself...I have taken the light rail from the MOA downtown several times for Twins and Vikings games and it's far superior to trying to manage traffic and park somewhere around Target Center.

The first time I drove downtown I was in college and got lost trying to find the ramp to 94 to get back to ND and I'm pretty sure I made everyone in downtown Minneapolis hate me by the time I left.

So basically, if you're not familiar with downtown, the light rail is your friend. It does have a lot of stops, so if you don't want to get on at the MOA, you could go to one of the other stops also.

The first time I drove downtown I was in college and got lost trying to find the ramp to 94 to get back to ND and I'm pretty sure I made everyone in downtown Minneapolis hate me by the time I left.

So basically, if you're not familiar with downtown, the light rail is your friend. It does have a lot of stops, so if you don't want to get on at the MOA, you could go to one of the other stops also.

As a 3 year downtown Minneapolis resident the best driving advice I can give is if you turn down a street and all of the cars are facing you...turn around. Oh, and 7th street runs right into the Target Center.

The first stop from the MOA is a good one because you don't have to deal with the mall traffic and other cars in the ramp.

The first stop from the MOA is a good one because you don't have to deal with the mall traffic and other cars in the ramp.

Agreed on that stop.

That half hour ride back from downtown always kills me, though. I've fallen asleep on more than one occasion - not the best thing to do on the train late at night - so I suggest making sure you and your travel companion(s) grab some coffee for the ride!

Just for other options, don't forget the light rail stops just two blocks from Target Center. That means you can also stay around Airport/MOA and have a quick and easy (and still sober) ride home too. A 24-hour pass (for light rail and buses) is $6/person or one-way rides are $2.25 (rush hour) / $1.75 other.

Great suggestion. One caveat though. Weekend rates are not much cheaper by the mall to justify the hassle as others pointed out. If you have one person not drinking to drive you can stay anywhere.

I was going to suggest that option myself...I have taken the light rail from the MOA downtown several times for Twins and Vikings games and it's far superior to trying to manage traffic and park somewhere around Target Center.

IMO..the light rail is a hassle after events and is more expensive if you have a group of 4 or more. If you use light rail, go out after the event and then ride the train. Do not use after the event.

Marriott City Center? How much cheaper?

Yeah Marriott City Center, it was $131 on the NCHC tournament site per night. Can't remember what it was on the marriott site (think maybe $160 ??), went to check and couldn't get a price on the marriott website as it said unavailable. Still looks like its available on the NCHC tournament reservation site though.

Bought our tournament tickets tonight. Can't believe the season is already getting to the point where the tournament isn't that far away.

But the doomsday preppers on the board don't think the Sioux are even going to make the tournament...gutsy move buying tickets now!

But the doomsday preppers on the board don't think the Sioux are even going to make the tournament...gutsy move buying tickets now!

We go whether or not the Sioux make it. Of course, we haven't had to face that for a long time. We go to all of the games (even a third place game) and stay for the whole tournament. So we can do Hoggsbreath no matter what.

I'm super excited to attend the NCHC tourney! It'll be kinda like my first-ever WCHA Final Five tourney back in '95. After seeing a very gutsy effort by UND in a 1 goal loss in the knock out game, I got to witness Peter Geronazzo carry a CC squad on his back in the semi's and finals against Minnesota and Wisconsin respectfully. While CC fell short in the championship, it was still a fun and memorable weekend. I feel like the NCHC will have a lot of excitement!

I'm super excited to attend the NCHC tourney! It'll be kinda like my first-ever WCHA Final Five tourney back in '95. After seeing a very gutsy effort by UND in a 1 goal loss in the knock out game, I got to witness Peter Geronazzo carry a CC squad on his back in the semi's and finals against Minnesota and Wisconsin respectfully. While CC fell short in the championship, it was still a fun and memorable weekend.

'The '95 tournament sure sounds a lot like the '13 tournament, LOL!

Yeah Marriott City Center, it was $131 on the NCHC tournament site per night. Can't remember what it was on the marriott site (think maybe $160 ??), went to check and couldn't get a price on the marriott website as it said unavailable. Still looks like its available on the NCHC tournament reservation site though.

I got mine when everything was first announced for $99/night.

We go whether or not the Sioux make it. Of course, we haven't had to face that for a long time. We go to all of the games (even a third place game) and stay for the whole tournament. So we can do Hoggsbreath no matter what.

I know...you and your wife are great fans. My post was meant with some thick sarcasm because of all the early bandwagon jumpers thinking UND wouldn't make it to Target Center. While that's obviously still a possibility, I think those naysayers have quieted down a bit (maybe thanks to the moderators for a certain poster who shall remain nameless)...

I know...you and your wife are great fans. My post was meant with some thick sarcasm because of all the early bandwagon jumpers thinking UND wouldn't make it to Target Center. While that's obviously still a possibility, I think those naysayers have quieted down a bit (maybe thanks to the moderators for a certain poster who shall remain nameless)...

Why would anyone think they couldn't make it? This is college hockey where nothing can be taken for granted. Yale.

Why would anyone think they couldn't make it? This is college hockey where nothing can be taken for granted. Yale.

You're absolutely right! As disappointing as it was last spring losing to Yale, it gives me hope that almost any team can win it all given the right chemistry, timing, effort, and skill.

Were you reading the doom and gloom on this site before the recently-ended unbeaten streak?

Oh yeah. I just figured somehow in the end they would get home ice. Do great in the league tourney and then go on to the nationals. They always seem to find a way in the end. From watching the college game for so many years I know to expect the unexpected, Holy Cross, Yale, etc...

Okay other than UND who's going to bring the most fans to this thing? I'm not feeling any urgency to get my tickets yet, there are going to be plenty and hotel rooms also shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern is finding a place at the table at Hoggsbreath.

Okay other than UND who's going to bring the most fans to this thing? I'm not feeling any urgency to get my tickets yet, there are going to be plenty and hotel rooms also shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern is finding a place at the table at Hoggsbreath.

Personally, I would love to see St Cloud, UMD, Denver, and CC all eliminated in the first round just so we can see what Nebraska-Omaha, Western Michigan, and Miami bring to the Target Center.

Perish the thought, but if UND is eliminated in the first round, the crowd at Target Center for the NCHC tournament will make the crowd at the WCHA tournament at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids look like the Hockey City Classic

We've seen how many former WCHA teams bring to the final five when their team is there. Juries out on Miami and WMU until they are there. Would think tickets will be available whenever. Single day tickets go on sale sometime this month (no single game tickets will be sold).