SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

Of course. My point was that the call immediately following was likely done only because the refs didn't want to see the game end on the power play. Why else to you call that other than to even things up? My opinion is that the make up call lead directly to the breakaway penalty that put Canada on the PP.

I agree that it was a bs call...but, again, you KNOW the officials are going to try to even things up. Why even put yourself into the situation?

And just before that breakaway...how about you hit the waiting left-handed shooter with a pass ON HER STICK as opposed to the opposite-hand side? Pass gets fumbled, picked off, and skated down the other way...while USA player #3 is skating off on a line change? Good grief...FIRE HAKSTOL!

They had to, it was 3 on 3 then Knight takes a penalty Canada pulls the goal for a 4 on 3 powerplay then it became a 5 on 3 for 5 seconds then 5 on 4.

They didn't pull her, I was confused about how they got to a 5 on 3 as well. I kinda wonder if the refs didn't somehow screw this one up too and let the Canadian player out of the box when they weren't supposed to.

No. It was 4 on 4. Canada took a penalty to make it 4 on 3 USA. Then USA took a penalty to make it 3 on 3. When USA took a second penalty, they wouldn't make it 3 on 2 so they added a player to each side making it 5 on 3 Canada.

If there were 5 players with a goalie it would be too many men on the ice penalty, because OT is 4 on 4.

It becomes a 5-3 in overtime because of the multiple penalties to the U.S. Its a weird rule. I can't find it anywhere online. But it is a rule I promise. Had the U.S. killed it it would have gone to 5-5 until a whistle, and then 4-4 play resuming.

• Upvote 1

The last one of my teams to win a championship was the 2012 USA World Junior team, who beat Sweden for the Gold.

That's two years in a row my team has been upset - last year as the #2 seed losing the semi-final to the #3 seed and this year as the #1 seed losing the championship game to the #3 seed.

How long will I tolerate mediocrity?

It's obvious my system doesn't work.

Most talented team in the league...some former state indoor and outdoor champions on this team. How come I can't motivate them?

It's time...to fire myself.

This mentality of playing not to lose happens at every level. Example...my daughter's soccer team won the state title this July in their age group the exact same way. We got a lucky bounce to score early...got worked over the next 40+ minutes until the opposing team decided to play "prevent" D with a 2-1 lead...we socred with 30 seconds left to tie it. Won it 2-0 in a shootout with my daughter stopping all 4 shootout shots. (shameless father plug)

It's human nature to play not to lose...unfortunately. But this debacle today was really, really tough to watch.

• Upvote 1

I agree that it was a bs call...but, again, you KNOW the officials are going to try to even things up. Why even put yourself into the situation?

And just before that breakaway...how about you hit the waiting left-handed shooter with a pass ON HER STICK as opposed to the opposite-hand side? Pass gets fumbled, picked off, and skated down the other while...while USA player #3 is skating off on a line change? Good grief...FIRE HAKSTOL!

If they are just going to even things up then don't call the first fricken penalty. US was the better 4 on 4 team in the first few minutes of OT. The Canadian goalie made a couple of huge saves. You are right in that the bad pass coupled with the bad change lead to the second penalty. In hindsight I would have almost rather took my chances on a penalty shot in that situation that face a long 4 on 3 PP. Great line by Doc Emrick in the medal ceremony -- that the Silver medal is going to seem a whole lot heavier than the gold even though it weighs 2 oz less. The guy is the best announcer in hockey.