SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Night - UND vs. UBC

siouxforeverbaby

Schloss prior to the game last night compared this UBC team to the U of Manitoba teams that come to the Ralph...regardless of some spin here it's a bad bad loss vs a bad team even if the excuse is an exhibition game.

• Upvote 1

IMO this game can be traced back to the first few minutes...no push or fire then Zane gives up one of his typical "how did he let that one in" goals...now it's a game from that point.

Zane=BE. Good enough most of the time.

With a team that would struggle to score 4 on Davies or GFRR, your goalie really has to be one of your top 3 players most nights.

But then again I have heard a lot about the "potential" of many of UND's non-Fr. skaters over the last couple of years that hasn't come to be.

Big deal...UND couldn't beat UBC in an exhibition tilt. Minny also couldn't beat Colgate tonight, and Bucky couldn't beat Anchorage, and their games actually count.

Yep, this game has no affect on this season. They'll move forward and this doesn't even affect the PWR either.

Schloss prior to the game last night compared this UBC team to the U of Manitoba teams that come to the Ralph...regardless of some spin here it's a bad bad loss vs a bad team even if the excuse is an exhibition game.

From their schedule it appears Manitoba beat up on UBC.

Regardless of what happened tonight or what happens tomorrow, UND is still on a current 5-game win streak with a favorable 2nd half schedule coming up.

I would rather they blow off their holiday rust during an exhibition game than next weekend against CC when the games actually count.

I am not about to proclaim that they will win the conference or the national title or anything...heck, even making the playoffs is certainly no given at this point...but I certainly am not throwing in the towel as a fan yet just because they had an OT loss to a team in Canada.

UND is hovering around the 14-16 spot in the PWR Rankings so making the Playoffs is a possibility if they keep playing good.

You recruit kids that do not need to be "pumped up" to play hockey... For every lazy D1 player who doesn't want to give it his all every night there are 10 kids that would gladly take his place. Being a Sioux hockey player isn't a right, it's an honor. For those who don't want to skate hard, get the eff off the ice.

Find me a college or pro athlete in any sport that doesn't mail it in on occasion. The 10-6 Eagles got their butts handed to them by a hapless Vikings team. The Miami Heat opened their season with a loss to a team tanking it to try to win next summer's draft lottery (76ers). The Islanders defeated the mighty Blackhawks a day ago. Baylor was expected to smoke Central Florida in the Fiesta Bowl...but the Knights put up 50+ on the Big 12 champions.

The series at Western Michigan and the next two series will tell you a lot more about this Sioux team than an exhibition game played in scenic British Columbia will.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. We've all heard it before, and there is proof of that everywhere. The "Alabama" of college football just had their butts handed to them by a team they should crush, in the sugar bowl. A game they certainly should have been "up for". A game that counts.

While this game may serve to fire up the team for the next few games (locker room meeting, anyone?) it troubles me some that UND put on this lackluster performance where our coaches spend a lot of time recruiting top players. Surely there were some in the stands tonight that are/were considering a path through UND instead of Junior A hockey, and they watch the team fall flat. Not the dynamic squad they'd like to commit to.

Losing a few key recruits hurts the team over the next few years...THAT is what bugs me about last night's loss. Not the rest of this season.

And yeah "offensively challenged" seems to be an apt description. Lighting the lamp seems to be a struggle for this team, and I find that fairly surprising given the numbers some of these players brought with them to UND.

All that said..."Go Sioux". I'll always be a fan and bleed green&white.

Once a player puts on that jersey he should be pumped up and give his best regardless of who is on the other bench.

You can say that about any big name team in any sport. In theory, yes. In practice, it just doesn't happen. Just ask a guy like Randy Moss and he'll tell you.

The "Alabama" of college football just had their butts handed to them by a team they should crush, in the sugar bowl. A game they certainly should have been "up for". A game that counts.

Right on. I bet there isn't an active discussion going on over at Gopher Puke Live today about canning Lucia over yesterday's "loss" to Crest, er, AquaFresh, er Colgate.

You can say that about any big name team in any sport. In theory, yes. In practice, it just doesn't happen. Just ask a guy like Randy Moss and he'll tell you.

I respectively disagree... I believe there are players that leave it all on the ice, every practice, every game. We've seen plenty of them suit up for UND. The difference is we have very few of them on this team. There is no doubt some hard-working, less-talented players could have had a much better outcome last night.

Regarding your last paragraph, you are very right. We are on a 5 game win streak so the boys need to focus going forward. However, given the purpose of why they went up there in the first place it makes no sense to lay an egg…..their compete level was nil. Also, give me one other game in the last 25 years that was a worse loss than that? UBC is in second to last place in their league.

The only thing close to this loss was to US International during the 86-87 season.

No. But a lot of others.

I think schlossman pointed out that gino's 82-83 team loaded with future nhlers got SWEPT by UBC so yes he did. also someone here said that und should have put 8 or 9 goals up tonight, not gonna happen even tonight against an extremely bad simon fraiser team it probably won't happen. this team has a very hard time scoring 4 goals. I can see 5 or 6 tonight.

I respectively disagree... I believe there are players that leave it all on the ice, every practice, every game. We've seen plenty of them suit up for UND. The difference is we have very few of them on this team. There is no doubt some hard-working, less-talented players could have had a much better outcome last night.

What exactly do we disagree on? I agree that there are players who give 100% even if the event is a father-son game. There are also others who half-a$$ it in what we as fans think should be a big game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: UND needs to get back to recruiting players who want to win while IN Grand Forks...not those who are more interested in what happens when they're in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely pathetic loss for UND players and coaches. Embarrassing to lose this type of exh game mid season especially. Tonight they play a club team who semi recruits. lose lose situation unless they do what they should and win 7-0 in front of 74 people in the stands. Guessing our first loss ever to a Canuck univ in quite sometime? Least in haks era it is

• Upvote 2

Find me a college or pro athlete in any sport that doesn't mail it in on occasion. The 10-6 Eagles got their butts handed to them by a hapless Vikings team. The Miami Heat opened their season with a loss to a team tanking it to try to win next summer's draft lottery (76ers). The Islanders defeated the mighty Blackhawks a day ago. Baylor was expected to smoke Central Florida in the Fiesta Bowl...but the Knights put up 50+ on the Big 12 champions.

The series at Western Michigan and the next two series will tell you a lot more about this Sioux team than an exhibition game played in scenic British Columbia will.

All bad analogies there MM. The teams you listed are made up off players people wanted or professionals. None lost to a team made up of players no one wanted past the high school or junior level.

The only thing close to this loss was to US International during the 86-87 season.

how about the 96-97 team losing to manitoba? let's try and keep things in perspective here. this years current squad isn't the second coming of the hrkac circus by any stretch of the imagination nor is it the 96-97 squad and those teams lost to teams like this as well. I'm not surprised at any loss this years team has as it isn't anykind of juggernaut.