SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

After 3-8, an impending change in offensive and defensive philosophy, and "Dancing with the Stars: Sidelines Edition", is that bad?

I'm not in a position to make that call. My main concern is that even if most of the players who have departed hadn't proven they could play, their departure now means UND is apparently going to be a position where true freshmen, and perhaps juco transfers are going to be asked to play immediately in large numbers. And particularly considering the abbreviated recruiting season, that's kind of a scary proposition.

Getting a strength coach with ties to Nebraska's would be a great start. They know what they are doing down there. Or find someone that has worked for Baylor's strength coach. Talk about intense.

Or stay the status quo... ???

Baukol is a great SC coach. He wasn't the problem. The culture of the team was, maybe that started at the top? If players don't buy in to what the SC coach is selling then they won't get results. Also it's not like we had a bunch of superb athletes out on the field last year.

Certainly could be the case. However, I refuse to believe that Miller was the best back we had.

While I may agree with you, maybe Miller was the guy who brought his lunchpail and gave 100% everyday while others were working on their touchdown dance... just giving playing time to the guy who earned it in practice. I don't know, but dedication during practice should earn playing time, imho.

I'm not in a position to make that call. My main concern is that even if most of the players who have departed hadn't proven they could play, their departure now means UND is apparently going to be a position where true freshmen, and perhaps juco transfers are going to be asked to play immediately in large numbers. And particularly considering the abbreviated recruiting season, that's kind of a scary proposition.

Kind of like what happened at NDSU which basically set up their dynasty.

While I may agree with you, maybe Miller was the guy who brought his lunchpail and gave 100% everyday while others were working on their touchdown dance... just giving playing time to the guy who earned it in practice. I don't know, but dedication during practice should earn playing time, imho.

I know for a fact that PJ and Shaugs worked just as hard as Jake. Who knows why some players played and others didn't.

Sparks, after meeting the new coach, may feel that he will not fit Schweigert's no-nonsense game plan.

Or maybe didn't like the direction of the program and decided to find something different. I can't say I blame him as his 2 years here weren't exactly with the best team environment. I will never blame someone for trying to better their situation.

Sparks, after meeting the new coach, may feel that he will not fit Schweigert's no-nonsense game plan.

Hey, if that's that case then good luck to him in the future.

Losing these type of guys will hurt now but a total re-build's success depends on guys buying in so I will take some immediate pain for long term gain.

Kind of like what happened at NDSU which basically set up their dynasty.

But I don't think they had to assemble nearly their entire class in basically one month. That's a lot to ask of any staff, particularly one not even close to being at full strength yet.

Looks like there will be a lot of Patrick Sharp with Shuags next year and I don't think that is a bad thing.

Wish Sparks would have given it one more year to get his chance and prove himself on the field but if he did just get engaged and I believe has a baby, understandable. Best of luck to him.

Looks like there will be a lot of Patrick Sharp with Shuags next year and I don't think that is a bad thing.

Wish Sparks would have given it one more year to get his chance and prove himself on the field but if he did just get engaged and I believe has a baby, understandable. Best of luck to him.

Agreed completely. From the sounds of it Patrick Sharp is the best RB on the team so I am glad he will hopefully get every opportunity to be the starter. When I have seen Sharp around campus, he definitely does not look like a freshman the way he is built.

Justifying Miller playing is absolutely ridiculous. Even if he was the hardest worker, he wasn't the best back on the roster. Patrick Sharp as a true freshman would've been a better option than Miller.

But I don't think they had to assemble nearly their entire class in basically one month. That's a lot to ask of any staff, particularly one not even close to being at full strength yet.

No, but after their 3-8 season they needed a bunch of new starters, and those starters ended up being freshmen. The experience they built because of that led to tremendous success.

With the new run game emphasis, I'm excited to see that combination. Will make life a lot easier for the quarterback, whether that's Mollberg or Bartels.

Curious. What types of experience makes a FCS or FBS coach better than a DII coach? How does upper level coaching experience help with recruiting for instance?

In my opinion, there are some very talented and knowledable high school, D-III and D-II coaches out there that are far better than some FCS or FBS coaches. Many coaches choose not to pursue other positions for various reason, mostly because they do not want to uproot their family every few years to move into a better or more prestigious position. Don't assume that a FBS coach is smarter than a D-II coach, just because of the level. (Tim Brewster is a great example of this)

Per an SFI tweet, it appears Schmidt will be responsible for recruiting ND. According to a Forum article today, Hedberg will recruit ND for NDSU. Should be interesting.

That will be interesting. It also makes you wonder where things have gone wrong in the last few years. Was it because the guys recruiting ND/SD/MN/WI were beaten by their counter parts in the mvfc? Did success breed success with the recruiting at the ac and sdsu?

I said this when UND gained membership in the BSC and I will say it again, the media share of voice in the region must increase significantly for UND football. Bubba's staff can't do it alone. The entire upper midwest must know that our region is Big Sky Country, not the mvfc. I realize this isn't easy with all the mvfc/summit schools dominating sports pages around the region but that worm must turn.

• Upvote 3

That will be interesting. It also makes you wonder where things have gone wrong in the last few years. Was it because the guys recruiting ND/SD/MN/WI were beaten by their counter parts in the mvfc? Did success breed success with the recruiting at the ac and sdsu?

I said this when UND gained membership in the BSC and I will say it again, the media share of voice in the region must increase significantly for UND football. Bubba's staff can't do it alone. The entire upper midwest must know that our region is Big Sky Country, not the mvfc. I realize this isn't easy with all the mvfc/summit schools dominating sports pages around the region but that worm must turn.

I think early in transition the coaching staff targeted the California and Texas type recruits and it failed. We got away from Wisconsin, South Dakota and even North Dakota for awhile. It came around and but us in the ass and I think the staff realized it the last couple years and refocused on those areas. And I think we pulled some talent, everywhere but South Dakota. Need to at least have a presence there.

I agree with your second point. A great place to start would be huge write ups on kids who commit here. High school coach interviews etc. Way behind in that dept.

But the problem is this is NOT Big Sky territory and never will be. UND has lost most of a generation of ND kids who are football fans. It has been way too easy for the better high school players in the state to follow NDSU football than UND football the last 5 or 6 years. You can watch all of the NDSU games on national or state wide television. You can see a handful of UND games if you have Mid Continent cable. UND football gets very little play in the media in comparison to NDSU. Even the voice of UND football rarely if ever talks about UND sports on his daily radio show. The whole may be too large to dig out of.

Bubba seems like a really good and genuine guy, but I don't see him going into a kids living room and setting the world on fire. I'm not sure he was the best choice for head coach, even if the almighty Virg Foss thinks it is.

But the problem is this is NOT Big Sky territory and never will be. UND has lost most of a generation of ND kids who are football fans. It has been way too easy for the better high school players in the state to follow NDSU football than UND football the last 5 or 6 years. You can watch all of the NDSU games on national or state wide television. You can see a handful of UND games if you have Mid Continent cable. UND football gets very little play in the media in comparison to NDSU. Even the voice of UND football rarely if ever talks about UND sports on his daily radio show. The whole may be too large to dig out of.

Bubba seems like a really good and genuine guy, but I don't see him going into a kids living room and setting the world on fire. I'm not sure he was the best choice for head coach, even if the almighty Virg Foss thinks it is.

Well of course you don't think he was the right choice. You are a Bison fan. Should we really care what you think? Bubba will be competing with NDSU for ND kids. And guess what, he is gonna get kids that NDSU wanted!!

I completely disagree with nearly everything you stated. For example, U of M lost recruits to Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and even NDSU by the boat loads while Tim Brewster was the HC. Since Jerry Kill, the Gophs have lost very few if any recruits to those schools and currently have one of the top RB recruits in the country committed along with a top TE recruit from Wisconsin and DE recruit from MN.

Well of course you don't think he was the right choice. You are a Bison fan. Should we really care what you think? Bubba will be competing with NDSU for ND kids. And guess what, he is gonna get kids that NDSU wanted!!

Of course he will get kids NDSU wanted! Now that Bohl is gone and has taken nearly the entire staff along with some of Moo U's recruits, they will not enjoy the success they have over the past 3 years. Bohl should really send a check to Tim Brewster thanking him for 3 championships.