SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

So what coaching positions are we still waiting on?

QB/WR/OL/LB and special teams for sure and possibly another secondary coach if they go with a similar structure as before. The coordinators will likely fill in one or two of those spots with Bubba possibly helping in the secondary (just a guess). Herald reports there will be 9 asst. coaches and so far we know of 5, so 4 more guys plus whoever is on staff to cover the above openings.

OC - Rudolph

RB/Recruiting - Maurice

DC - Schmidt

DL - Gigli

DB - Rodgers

Very much like how the staff is filling out.

You guys thing Freund will stay on in some capacity?

IMO, it would be pretty tough for Bubba to cut loose former players unless he's got somebody else lined up who is clearly better. Bubba strikes me as a pretty loyal guy. I think the responsibilities on Freund's shoulders would be far less than last year given Rudolph can and probably will working closely with the quarterbacks, whereas I don't think Schleusner had that kind of experience/expertise.

You both bring up valid points (Csonked and 92). I was thinking along both lines but kind of got stumped because I think he is a good character guy that would fit in but last years QB's were pretty bad. However Barterls did show some decent improvement when he got in towards the end of the season. A good O line would have done wonders as well.

• Upvote 1

This whole Jirik tweeting thing only proves the point that there is still clearly a rivalry!!!! Fresh off 3 straight NC's he goes out of his way to put down UND, it is what it is. Wasn't there a deal last year too with NDSU players saying something similar as well?

They can win 20 straight FCS championships. It wouldn't matter. They'll still be the Jan Brady State U of North Dakota.

UND produces the academic and professional talent in this state. They produce the working slaves.

You guys thing Freund will stay on in some capacity?

Have been wondering the same thing. Freund was QB coach for 1 year and RB coach for 3 years before that. I agree that Rudolph will likely work with the QB's and they just hired a RB coach. As a former QB he may be able to coach WR's or maybe Rudolph will just help oversee the QB's. Those are the only two spots I can see him staying on at right now.

You both bring up valid points (Csonked and 92). I was thinking along both lines but kind of got stumped because I think he is a good character guy that would fit in but last years QB's were pretty bad. However Barterls did show some decent improvement when he got in towards the end of the season. A good O line would have done wonders as well.

I agree with Bartels, I think he will be our starter next year unless Mollberg really shines in spring ball.

I would be surprised. I didn't see enough progression from our 2 freshman qbs to warrant retaining him.

I think there were more factors than position coaching going on with that. Offensive playcalling, o-line play, dropped passes, lack of running game, point differentials. I like Danny. Great enthusiasm. I'd be fine keeping him on the staff.

The other factor favoring Freund's retention is that at this level, I think it would be unusual for a new coach to not retain anybody from the previous staff. And when you factor in Bubba's history here and the fact that there are a few UND grads among the previous staff, it would make it all the more difficult to believe he wouldn't retain anybody. Just my opinion.

It's kind of too bad that it sounds like Kotelnicki's hands were a bit tied with regard to hiring a staff. I think he basically just had to retain everybody. Otherwise, several of the coaches from last year's UND staff probably would have had a good shot at catching on at UMary.

I agree with Bartels, I think he will be our starter next year unless Mollberg really shines in spring ball.

I agree also. I thought Muss never should have went away from Bartles in the first place. That kid seems to show better leadership on the field and he'll continue to improve.

I think there were more factors than position coaching going on with that. Offensive playcalling, o-line play, dropped passes, lack of running game, point differentials. I like Danny. Great enthusiasm. I'd be fine keeping him on the staff.

Above all else this is what I am looking forward to seeing. The drops the wide receivers had the last couple years drove me up the wall and were usually drive killers. I am willing to give away some explosiveness for a couple receivers who can consistently catch the ball.

I'm sure I missed it somewhere in the thread, but is the new def. backs coach ready for his new position? He seems too inexperienced to step into the mess we have. I trust the HC, but just wondering what others think of him?

I'm sure I missed it somewhere in the thread, but is the new def. backs coach ready for his new position? He seems too inexperienced to step into the mess we have. I trust the HC, but just wondering what others think of him?

He is young but I believe he did play DB at SIU under schweigert. D1 playing experience at the position he is coaching is huge for me personally.

A little green but he coached under Bubba and with Schmidt as a Grad Asst in 2012 and at Minot with Rudolph last year. Both ran the 3-4 so he is familar with it. As I previously said, wouldn't be surprised if Bubba helped out with the secondary as well.

Bubba Schweigert is the new defensive backs coach. Don't be fooled. Rodgers will be a safeties or corners coach and work with Bubba.

Like him alot!!! Saw him play twice this past season. Heard good things about him from my friends in Minot.

Yanosko was hurt(acl) the first half of first game and was done for the year. Sophomore Bolinske finished out the year and was named 1st team allstate

Yanosko was hurt(acl) the first half of first game and was done for the year. Sophomore Bolinske finished out the year and was named 1st team allstate

True, was talking about his Junior year! I have heard he is definitly Div I talent my friends have said LB? Pretty impressive for the Soph to be 1st team all-state. There is another kid in Minot my friends have talked about. Don't remember his name?

Mason Kramer, from Bishop Ryan. Kolten Larson from MHS, both guys seem like they would be walk on potential. I saw where the Kramer kid took 2nd in State at heavy weight in wrestling. It was his 1st year ever of wrestling. Might make a good NG in the 3-4?