SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome back Bubba

ericpnelson

What a waste of time on the "search". Just bringing back another "good ol boy"! I can't believe this is the best they could do.

Everyone if course wanted High Profile candidates. but UND is not high profile right now. We don't have the resume right now to attract high end coaches. Not taking anything away from Bubba, but he is a quality option giving the state our football program is in right now. The process is over, UND football has a new coach. Time to look forward.

Welcome back, Bubba. If anyone can turn this program around, and has the heart to do it, it's you. I'm 100% behind you. I know that you'll recruit quality student-athletes that will represent our University well both on and off the field, and that winning will be a welcome byproduct of the character you and your student-athletes will bring to the program.

• Upvote 1

Bubba will have to prove he can produce a top FCS program. I'm disappointed that an experienced FBS assistant wasn't hired and that the process was so lengthy. With that said, I will continue to support UND football while hoping Bubba turns this program into a contender.

Sorry, but I think a few of you are a bit delusional. First off, UND is not a "top FCS program". Secondly a "experienced FBS assistant" would have to take a significant pay cut to coach at UND and probably has opportunities to move up at the FBS level. Keep in mind that Bubba will make half of the new NDSU HC and less than a position coach at any BIG10 school.

The fact of the matter is that Bubba is a good coach with good experience and connections across the midwest (after recruiting ND,SD,MN,WI,ILL,IA). Faison interviewd multiple qualified candidates and made the decision on the best fit for the UND.

Does this mean Freund is likely retained? I also wonder whether Schleusner might be kept, although presumably not as OC? It would be nice to have him continue his Illinois recruiting prowess.

God I hope not! Schluesner is an idiot and has no place coaching anywhere. Given the performance of the QB's, why would you support Freund? I hope Bubba brings in his own staff and starts completely fresh.

God I hope not! Schluesner is an idiot and has no place coaching anywhere. Given the performance of the QB's, why would you support Freund? I hope Bubba brings in his own staff and starts completely fresh.

I have no opinion either way on Freund as a coach, because I have no idea. But Faison did keep him around, at least temporarily, and Bubba knows him well. Usually even if it's a new coach with no connections whatsoever to the school you see two or three assistants retained. And since Bubba is far from new to the school, it stands to reason to think maybe guys he actually knows would have the best shot to stick. Pure speculation on my part, however.

Sorry, but I think a few of you are a bit delusional. First off, UND is not a "top FCS program". Secondly a "experienced FBS assistant" would have to take a significant pay cut to coach at UND and probably has opportunities to move up at the FBS level. Keep in mind that Bubba will make half of the new NDSU HC and less than a position coach at any BIG10 school.

The fact of the matter is that Bubba is a good coach with good experience and connections across the midwest (after recruiting ND,SD,MN,WI,ILL,IA). Faison interviewd multiple qualified candidates and made the decision on the best fit for the UND.

Great attitude you are expressing here.......not. :angry:

This is the type of small-time, pessimistic, defeatist thinking that has infected part of the fan base of our teams in recent years and it must stop now. It is not "delusional" to think we can build a top-notch FCS program. It is not "delusional" to expect excellence at the #2 sport on campus. And it is absolutely unacceptable to be satisfied with 5-6, 6-5 seasons (with a couple of 7-4 seasons thrown in) as the best we can do. Either go big or go home. If Bubba can produce positive results and start getting our program back to what it once was, Faison will likely reward him with a contract extension worth a lot more than his original contract.

This is a step-by-step process and Faison is not putting the cart before the horse. I think Bubba will turn out just fine. We as a fan base must remain positive and supportive in this new era of UND football that was launched today. Otherwise, it was a big waste of time and money moving up to Division I in the first place.

Great attitude you are expressing here.......not. :angry:

This is the type of small-time, pessimistic, defeatist thinking that has infected part of the fan base of our teams in recent years and it must stop now. It is not "delusional" to think we can build a top-notch FCS program. It is not "delusional" to expect excellence at the #2 sport on campus. And it is absolutely unacceptable to be satisfied with 5-6, 6-5 seasons (with a couple of 7-4 seasons thrown in) as the best we can do. Either go big or go home. If Bubba can produce positive results and start getting our program back to what it once was, Faison will likely reward him with a contract extension worth a lot more than his original contract.

This is a step-by-step process and Faison is not putting the cart before the horse. I think Bubba will turn out just fine. We as a fan base must remain positive and supportive in this new era of UND football that was launched today. Otherwise, it was a big waste of time and money moving up to Division I in the first place.

1. we are not currently a top FCS program, I did not say we could never be a top FCS program.

2. you are delusional to think you are going to bring in a FBS coach that makes 100k more in his current postion.

3. i did not say that we should expect to be bottom feeders and accept mediocrity.

If you must, read my post again, then comment on what was said, not what you implied.

1. we are not currently a top FCS program, I did not say we could never be a top FCS program.

2. you are delusional to think you are going to bring in a FBS coach that makes 100k more in his current postion.

3. i did not say that we should expect to be bottom feeders and accept mediocrity.

If you must, read my post again, then comment on what was said, not what you implied.

1. I did not dispute this point.

2. I never said we would get a highly-paid FBS coach.

3. You were responding to a poster's comment that Bubba had better be able to build this program into a top-notch FCS program (NOT that it was one now) and you called him "delusional". You are the one that needs to comment on what was said, not what you implied.

1. I did not dispute this point.

2. I never said we would get a highly-paid FBS coach.

3. You were responding to a poster's comment that Bubba had better be able to build this program into a top-notch FCS program (NOT that it was one now) and you called him "delusional". You are the one that needs to comment on what was said, not what you implied.

You are talking in circles.

I think Bubba is a great choice and will turn the program around over the next couple of years. My point is that some people think that UND would be able to pull coaches from the FBS ranks, when those coaches are currently making more money and have more opportunity. I have seen people comment that UND should try to get someone from Kill's staff, but they obviously don't realize that U of M is second to last in coaches salary in the BIG10 and even position coaches make more than a HC at UND. The money available to coaches at the FBS level is significantly higher than FCS (Bohl 300k at NDSU / 1.5 at Wyo). If you want top coaches, you have to be willing to pay them. Personally, I think Bubba is a steal at $150k, considering his experience and connection to HS coaches in the midwest, along with his enthusiasm for UND. Give Bubba 2-3 years and he will put a product on the field that we will not only be proud of, but will also be able to compete with the Ag school to the south.