SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: New Head Coach

bincitysioux

New HC Poll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer gets the job?

• Bubba Schwiegert
    • Kalen DeBoer

If Bubba Bleeds Green so much why did he leave UND?

Because his stock was high, and he wanted to be a head coach.

If he did it before why won't you think he'd do it again?

Because he's 49 years old. He was born and raised here and the fact that he wants the job probably means he has a desire to live here.

I hope whoever coaches UND is such a great coach they get to "move up."

So do I. That is a good problem to have. But given the age difference, Bubba would have to win multiple championships to be enticed to move on. If DeBoer had one great year in the next 4 or 5, I think he'd be gone.

• Upvote 1

Bubba left UMD as a 0.500 coach and new guy (Nielson) come in and takes Bubba's players to the promised land.

Wouldn't that point to Bubba being a great recruiter but leave his coaching skills in question?

Not sure about that. Like I said above. Lennon won the big one with mostly RT's recruits. Who here wants to question the coaching skills of either Roger Thomas or Dale Lennon?

we already discussed this...bubba coached in the tough ncc...nielson had a ncc built team in a nsic league...huge difference.

I belive UMD was at 36 schollys too and nsic was at a 24 max...but allowd UMD a 3 year waiver to honor comitments to get to the 24 school rule!

So Bubba was an average (literally) coach in a tough league but his recruits dominated a lesser league. Got it. Good thing UND got into Pioneer League...

No.

He was Coach of the Year in the NCC.

I will clarify that I was talking about his overall record which was 22-21, average. And it was in his second correct? So for the most parts, not his recruits?

And again, I think he would be a very good choice but saying his recruits won a title after he left and he didn't do better as a head coach because he played in a tougher league isn't the most convincing argument.

I will clarify that I was talking about his overall record which was 22-21, average. And it was in his second correct? So for the most parts, not his recruits?

And again, I think he would be a very good choice but saying his recruits won a title after he left and he didn't do better as a head coach because he played in a tougher league isn't the most convincing argument.

Bill Belichick was 36-44 as HC in Cleveland.

Just sayin'................

I'm a big Pats fan....................

No.

He was Coach of the Year in the NCC.

In 1997 that award would have meant something.

Prior to UNC, NDSU, and SDSU leaving, we all know what the collective opinion was of UMD. That program didn't just become good. Our old league became winnable to a team from the NSIC.

Bubba was coach of the year? Great. I'm sure Roger would have liked to avoid trips to Greeley, Fargo, and Brookings every year.

So did South Dakota State.

We're trying to put lipstick on a pig here. Bottom line is Bubba was mediocre as a head coach but we're all "hoping" that his dedication to UND and defense will turn the program around. From a national candidate standpoint, Bubba is average at best. DeBoer on the other hand produced considerably as a head coach and I believe he has a higher ceiling. If you were one of those people who wanted Bollinger, you should now want DeBoer. Yes he coached at the NAIA level, but he still produced. I'd take the chance on DeBoer. He's only been exceptional as a head coach, which is not the case with Bubba.

In either case, the FCS/MVFC experience they'll bring with them will be a positive for the program moving forward.

• Upvote 1

We're trying to put lipstick on a pig here. Bottom line is Bubba was mediocre as a head coach but we're all "hoping" that his dedication to UND and defense will turn the program around. From a national candidate standpoint, Bubba is average at best. DeBoer on the other hand produced considerably as a head coach and I believe he has a higher ceiling. If you were one of those people who wanted Bollinger, you should now want DeBoer. Yes he coached at the NAIA level, but he still produced. I'd take the chance on DeBoer. He's only been exceptional as a head coach, which is not the case with Bubba.

In either case, the FCS/MVFC experience they'll bring with them will be a positive for the program moving forward.

So everyone is judging Bubba because of his experience at Duluth? How about head coaching experience from Dale Lennon before taking over UND, or Roger Thomas, or Craig Bohl. You have to start somewhere.

One could argue Stiegelmeier was kind of a mediocre dII coach. Kill didn't do all that great in dII, either. The point being, it's sometimes hard to tell how somebody might do as a head coach under different circumstances compared to where they were. Does that mean Bubba would come back to UND and quickly turn the ship around? Not necessarily. But neither would I count him out based upon what happened at UMD or SIU.

And for the record, I have nothing against DeBoer and would be fine with him, too.

• Upvote 2

One question I have about both of them is who their staff would be. With Bubba's added experience, I've gotta think he's got a better network for potential assistants than DeBoer does.

definitely still on the DeBoer bandwagon.

on the other hand, if Schweigert is the choice, defense is where the Sioux need to concentrate their effort, so would be ok with Bubba as the choice.

can't imagine, however, how a "National Search" comes down to 2 finalists from the same school that are coordinators for UND's last coach. :sneaky:

• Upvote 1

Couple of you Bubba haters are becoming laughable. I get it if you don't want him to be the next HC at UND. I also get it if you want "new blood" for the next HC at UND. But the fact that you dismiss and throw anything Bubba did anywhere under the bus as not applicable is a complete joke. Bubba had amazing success at UND both as a position coach and as the DC. Bubba had success at UMD, even if you don't want to accept it. Coach of the year in 2005. Was the NCC different compared to 1997? Sure. But in 2005 Bubba beat Mankato, UNO, USD and St. Cloud State. Lost twice to UND, second time in the playoffs 12-23 and then UND lost the next week at Grand Valley State. If Bubba gets blamed for not having to play UNC, NDSU and SDSU...does that mean UND's records in those years are discarded too? Now, his entire time at SIU is considered a failure because of rumors/speculation that the entire staff might get axed after next year? As mentioned before, SIU was one dumb scheduling mistake away from being in the playoffs this year...and they had a team that could have made a little noise IMO. If there has been one knock on the staff at SIU, from what I hear, is that they might not always land the "inner city" type of kids (have you looked on a map where Carbondale is located?)...and sometimes the "midwestern boys" are getting blamed for not being able to do it. Guess where the "midwestern boys" are good at recruiting? Snap a finger and I'd take every single staff member at SIU in kelly green right now! This is Bubba's dream job, make it happen Faison...UND messed this up in 2008 by not opening the position externally, don't mess it up again!

This!!!

One question I have about both of them is who their staff would be. With Bubba's added experience, I've gotta think he's got a better network for potential assistants than DeBoer does.

Bubba's potential staff he hires would be better than Kalen's.

I'll say it again. I think we would all be surprised by Bubba's staff. Myself included.