SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. ST. CLOUD - Friday Gameday

AZSIOUX

I'm not going to get sucked into an argument with anyone. However, the idea that UND is "young" is a fantasy. Almost all of the freshmen may be playing every night, but that just means that the recruiting in recent years was a bust. But, that does not erase the fact that UND has 11 upper classmen, most of whom are playing nightly.

Are you for real?

Was at the game and didn't hear the reason St. Clair didn't play. Was he injured? Someone who puts out consistent effort like that shouldn't be sitting if not injured. Am looking for this team to have a killer instinct that isn't happy with a one goal lead, and keeps working hard for the next one. I just get the feeling that they think a one goal lead will be fine, as well as a second half surge to make the NCAA's. While the second half surges are admirable, it shouldn't have to come to the point where a game here or there could keep you out of the tournament. I have a very uneasy feeling about tomorrow night because I don't know if they will have a sense of urgency and think St. Cloud's goalie could steal the game. How bad would that be to have one point in Grand Forks against St. Cloud in two years. With all the alumni in town for the Gino Gasparini tribute, it would be too bad for them to fall flat again.

Was at the game and didn't hear the reason St. Clair didn't play. Was he injured? Someone who puts out consistent effort like that shouldn't be sitting if not injured. Am looking for this team to have a killer instinct that isn't happy with a one goal lead, and keeps working hard for the next one. I just get the feeling that they think a one goal lead will be fine, as well as a second half surge to make the NCAA's. While the second half surges are admirable, it shouldn't have to come to the point where a game here or there could keep you out of the tournament. I have a very uneasy feeling about tomorrow night because I don't know if they will have a sense of urgency and think St. Cloud's goalie could steal the game. How bad would that be to have one point in Grand Forks against St. Cloud in two years. With all the alumni in town for the Gino Gasparini tribute, it would be too bad for them to fall flat again.

So this whole "we're good, we've got a one goal lead" mentality is starting to drive me crazy. It happend against Yale in the regional finals. It happened tonight. And it happens all the time. I am seriously begining to question Hak. Yes, he has lead them to the tourney every year. But that is what, eleven chances to need to win 4 games in a row and they can't do it?! Is it seriously a team problem to give up the one goal lead and fall flat on your face in the last period, or is that a coaching issue? I agree with tnt. This poor first half play followed by a push the second half of the year is bad. It needs to be broken and the team needs to play like what is expected of them. UND is one of the top hockey programs in the nation and we consistantly play the first half of the year like a mid tier hockey club. That is unacceptable.

which should NEVER happen in our building

But seems to happen more often than it should...

UNO beat DU in overtime, 3-2.

Last post of the night:

2005-6: 8 Upperclassmen, 13 freshmen - went 29-16-1 on the season

2006-7: 6 Upperclassmen, 5 freshmen - went 24-14-5 on the season

2007-8: 13 Upperclassmen, 6 freshmen - went 29-11-4 on the season

2008-9: 11 Upperclassmen, 8 freshmen - went 24-15-4 on the season

2009-10: 9 Upperclassmen, 10 freshmen - went 25-13-5 on the season

2010-11: 12 Upperclassmen, 5 freshmen - went 32-9-3 on the season

2011-12: 10 Upperclassmen, 9 freshmen - went 26-13-3 on the season

2012-13: 9 Upperclassmen, 7 freshmen - went 22-13-7 on the season

This year: 11 Upperclassmen, 8 freshmen

I deal in fact, not fantasy. The local media may want to play this years' team off as young, but I disagree, based on the facts.

Almost all of the freshmen may be playing every night, but that just means that the recruiting in recent years was a bust.

Even with the recruits lost to Canadian MJ the last few years, I would hardly call any of the recent recruiting classes anywhere close to a bust. Toss in next year's class, which will be outstanding, and I would say that one of Hakstol and Co's best qualities is their recruiting. They just need to coach them how to play in the 1st half. And have a decent PP. Those things.

Last post of the night:

2005-6: 8 Upperclassmen, 13 freshmen - went 29-16-1 on the season

2006-7: 6 Upperclassmen, 5 freshmen - went 24-14-5 on the season

2007-8: 13 Upperclassmen, 6 freshmen - went 29-11-4 on the season

2008-9: 11 Upperclassmen, 8 freshmen - went 24-15-4 on the season

2009-10: 9 Upperclassmen, 10 freshmen - went 25-13-5 on the season

2010-11: 12 Upperclassmen, 5 freshmen - went 32-9-3 on the season

2011-12: 10 Upperclassmen, 9 freshmen - went 26-13-3 on the season

2012-13: 9 Upperclassmen, 7 freshmen - went 22-13-7 on the season

This year: 11 Upperclassmen, 8 freshmen

I deal in fact, not fantasy. The local media may want to play this years' team off as young, but I disagree, based on the facts.

Now break this down by the amount of ice time the upper and the lower got. How many freshmen were playing regular shifts vs. upperclassmen? I don't know about anyone else but when I think upperclassmen I think of juniors and seniors. I watched with no sound tonight so how many were fresh or sophs playing tonight not counting Gothberg? 9-10? If that many were playing I call that a young team.

Hak talks about playing 60 minutes but his teams rarely do. The 4 1/2 minutes to start the 3rd were embarrassing. Sleep walking...all 18 skaters. Puck was in our D zone for 4 of those minutes. At home with a lead...unacceptable to start the last period like that.

With that being said...I really thought we were good defensively minus that stretch. Stecher right now is our most complete D-man. Cue Wilbur.... Zane was hung out to dry on all 3 goals. He was solid. Hak's system offensively is so regimented that when we can't control the puck and cycle we get nothing. We have speed...carry the puck in on occasion! Chyzyk can work the walls and he can create offensively. I like his game so much more than Mitch and he got PP time. Seriously??? Mark Mac's line needs to be much better and so does Rocco. Thought Luke held his own and Drake is mini me Oshie. Love that kid.

As great as our PK is our PP is so brutal. The penalty with 3 minutes to go was the nail in the coffin. Would have been better off 5x5. Now that's sad to even suggest.

We gave away 3 points but I like the overall make up of this team. Just can't give a team like SCSU free minutes of ice time because we decide to take consecutive shifts off.

Hak talks about playing 60 minutes but his teams rarely do. The 4 1/2 minutes to start the 3rd were embarrassing. Sleep walking...all 18 skaters. Puck was in our D zone for 4 of those minutes. At home with a lead...unacceptable to start the last period like that.

With that being said...I really thought we were good defensively minus that stretch. Stecher right now is our most complete D-man. Cue Wilbur.... Zane was hung out to dry on all 3 goals. He was solid. Hak's system offensively is so regimented that when we can't control the puck and cycle we get nothing. We have speed...carry the puck in on occasion! Chyzyk can work the walls and he can create offensively. I like his game so much more than Mitch and he got PP time. Seriously??? Mark Mac's line needs to be much better and so does Rocco. Thought Luke held his own and Drake is mini me Oshie. Love that kid.

As great as our PK is our PP is so brutal. The penalty with 3 minutes to go was the nail in the coffin. Would have been better off 5x5. Now that's sad to even suggest.

We gave away 3 points but I like the overall make up of this team. Just can't give a team like SCSU free minutes of ice time because we decide to take consecutive shifts off.

Agree with everything you said. Rocco in my mind has to pick it up big time. He is our star.

Agree with everything you said. Rocco in my mind has to pick it up big time. He is our star.

Rocco almost seems handcuffed in this system. Again...too regemented. Hak has to give him and Drake the green light on occasion just to go out and fly around.

Still waiting for Rocco to break out...hasn't done much lately.

Mitch on the PP is puzzling.

Zero tenacity last night, and all we seemed to do was kick pucks along the boards and then lose a battle.

Tough to watch.

SCSU isn't Miami who will go up and down with you...SCSU will take a cycle, grind it out game with w this year's squad any time because they realize they win in the corners and dirty areas. If you recruit differently by bringing in smaller, speedier and more offensive D-man and forwards don't be shocked if the old dump chase cycle doesn't work like it did with Frattin, Malone and Co. and teams before them.

As far as Mitch...I need to let that go. My forehead is constantly black and blue...

Rocco almost seems handcuffed in this system. Again...too regemented. Hak has to give him and Drake the green light on occasion just to go out and fly around.

Aside from NC, Hak has gotten excellent results, but I agree that his system seems too conservative and regimented for some lineups to excel. The keep-it-on-the perimeter concept on the breakout and dump and chase in the O zone might be wasting some potential on this faster, smaller team. But I'm not a coach, and Hak has had great results, so I guess we wait and see if it comes together. Also, this St. Cloud team can skate; we should not forget that.

I have pointed this out before. Hakstol is about structure, structure, structure......and that is all he seems to care about. That might work during the course of the regular season and get us into the playoffs, but after that we get beat by teams with skill and speed who are not afraid to use it to their advantage. Sometimes I think Jacques Lemaire is coaching this team's offense, along with Gene Roebuck coaching the power play (everyone has to touch it before anyone shoots). I do think we'll develop some consistency by Christmas, but it is hard to watch a team shut it off for long stretches and not be able to turn it back on.

scsu is not that great of a team and neither are we right now. und isn't good enough right now to overcome any mistake that ends up in the back of the net, let alone three. maybe three or four months down the road but not right now and that is what is frustrating is that und has to play an absolute perfect game if it is going to win.