SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

It looks like USD coach Chad Lavin is in a bit of denial, based on this quote from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

"I saw two evenly-matched teams out there," USD coach Chad Lavin said. "People might think I'm crazy, but I haven't seen any team that I thought was any better than we are. It's too bad we have to look at that 2-8 record."

While it's certainly true that last night's game was competitive, USD still lost on their homecourt, and UND throttled them by 27 in Grand Forks. I think it's safe to say that the Sioux are clearly better than are the Coyotes. Also, having to double-team Langen at all times and leaving Hausauer unguarded is not the sign of a team which matches up evenly with UND. Giving a player open 15-foot shots for virtually an entire game was a move of desperation that backfired in a big way. Unless a team uses a junk defense all the time, e.g. Temple, trying something like that in a one-game situation is generally the mark of a team that isn't very good.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??? My bad....Kierah Kimbrough broke the Minnesota High School single season scoring record last night against WAO...she scored 46 points and is sitting at I think 902 for the year.. my info was wrong earlier...Congrats Kierah!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's really an amazing accomplishment. She could go over 1000 points this season depending on how far B-G-MR advances. She must also be getting pretty close to 3000 career points, which only four other girls have ever done in MN.

According to an article in the thief river falls paper, b-g-m-r coach said Bruggeman will return monday(today) for practice. That will be a HUGE lift if she is able to play. They could still rest her a couple of games as they should win the first two games easily. Then it's probably S-A, then Fosston or R.L.F.

If B-G-M-R can get Mekash completely healthy and Bruggeman back for the playoffs that is a huge boost. How healthy they are is still in question, but they are still in the lineup. Mekash hasn't done much since being back. I think she was averaging about 15 ppg before she went down and since she has been back she's sitting about 7 ppg. Should be interesting to see how well those two girls do at "less than 100%". Though I haven't seen Fosston play this year, I still think that they can beat RLF in a tough game. Either way and combination of a championship with RLF, B-G-M-R, and Fosston will be a good one.

2-23-05 REGIONAL RANKINGS

North Central

1 Regis (Colorado) 19-2 20-5

2 North Dakota 14-4 20-5

3 Minnesota Duluth 12-5 18-6

4 Metropolitan State 17-5 20-5

5 Concordia-St. Paul 13-5 18-7

6 Minnesota State Moorhead 14-5 20-5

7 Fort Hays State 13-4 20-5

8 St. Cloud State 13-6 19-7

9 Southwest Minnesota State 12-7 18-8

10 Augustana (South Dakota) 11-7 20-8

I think the problem with the criteria for ranking/seeding teams is that in-region record and in-region strength of schedule are basically the same thing. If you have the best in-region record, it's almost inevitable that you'll also have the best in-region SSI. Those two things are apparently what's keeping Regis at the top despite two losses in their last four games. UND has by far the better overall SSI, but the other criteria are either tied (records vs. common opponents, overall record) or not applicable (head-to-head). Because it's going to be virtually impossible for anybody to overtake Regis with respect to in-region record and in-region SSI, the only chance is for UND to have the better overall record. That way, the criteria would be two to two, with the other two being either tied or not applicable. But I certainly wouldn't expect to get the benefit of any doubt from the committee.

I agree with you wbb2004 if the sioux win they have move them to #1.And I think they are also going to look at the cost for everyone to travel to regis. Last week Gene was asked about this and I would think he is going to voice his thoughts tonight. He was hot last week when the rankings came out so I think he might be extra hot tonight. Everytime we have hosted a region we draw alot of people.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but even if the Sioux were to lose to Duluth on Saturday, I believe that UND will hold the tiebreaker IF Mankato can beat Omaha in Mankato on Saturday. The reason being is that the first tiebreaker is head-to-head, which would be a tie if UMD were to win. The second and third tiebreakers are records vs. the first and second place teams, which would be moot considering those teams are UND and UMD. Both teams swept SCSU, the probable third place team. Both teams split with Augie, the probable fourth place team. UND swept Mankato, whereas UMD split with them, and UND split with UNO, whereas UMD swept them. So the key is whether Mankato or UNO finishes higher in the standings. That will be determined by the Mankato-UNO game on Saturday. Obviously hosting would be huge for the conference tournament, since UND is 6-0 at home in the NCC, and has been extremely difficult to beat at the Betty/Ralph this season.

EDIT: According to the Herald, this is correct. Either a UND win or a Mankato win on Saturday gives the Sioux the number one seed for the NCC tournament. Unfortunately, Roebuck's comments in today's article make it sound as though Regis will be hosting if they win their last two regular season games--both at home--no matter what happens in the conference tournaments. I'm not sure why that would be considering the juggling that happened last year as a result of the conference tournaments. UND went from 4th to 2nd by winning the tournament, if my memory is correct.

This year has to be considered Roebuck's best coaching job at UND. Even though the Sioux were picked to win the NCC, this team had major question marks heading into the season, and looked very suspect in some early season games. But despite having almost no depth to speak of, and the fact that four of the seven players who regularly play are either freshmen or sophomores, UND has won at least a share of the conference. If the Sioux could somehow pull off a win tomorrow in Duluth, I really think this team will win the regional. Even if they don't, this has been a very good year all things considered, with only better things on the horizon for the next several years.

This year has to be considered Roebuck's best coaching job at UND. Even though the Sioux were picked to win the NCC, this team had major question marks heading into the season, and looked very suspect in some early season games. But despite having almost no depth to speak of, and the fact that four of the seven players who regularly play are either freshmen or sophomores, UND has won at least a share of the conference. If the Sioux could somehow pull off a win tomorrow in Duluth, I really think this team will win the regional. Even if they don't, this has been a very good year all things considered, with only better things on the horizon for the next several years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:silly: Too bad we'll never hear anyone say Rich Glass did a great coaching job and won at least a share of the conference title in a so called "rebuilding" year. UND's men's team has had just as good if not better talent than the rest of the NCC for years and continue to under achieve as evident with this year's latest late season nose dive. He's a friendly and nice guy but it is time to get him out the door and try to get the men's program somewhere in the same stratosphere as the women's program.

:silly: Too bad we'll never hear anyone say Rich Glass did a great coaching job and won at least a share of the conference title in a so called "rebuilding" year. UND's men's team has had just as good if not better talent than the rest of the NCC for years and continue to under achieve as evident with this year's latest late season nose dive. He's a friendly and nice guy but it is time to get him out the door and try to get the men's program somewhere in the same stratosphere as the women's program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I have grown really tired of people defending Glas year after year. It is too bad he has so much job security here, I wish the new AD would shake some things up, but that will not happen.

:love: Too bad we'll never hear anyone say Rich Glass did a great coaching job and won at least a share of the conference title in a so called "rebuilding" year. UND's men's team has had just as good if not better talent than the rest of the NCC for years and continue to under achieve as evident with this year's latest late season nose dive. He's a friendly and nice guy but it is time to get him out the door and try to get the men's program somewhere in the same stratosphere as the women's program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed..might be time for the pasture and a job with the Alumni association preaching the UND gospel to potential donors instead of players. Face it...DESPITE his personality, Gene gets it done year after year - Rich hasn't produced since being handed supreme talent in the early '90's. He is an asset to UND...just not on the BB court...

It looks like UND should be #1 in the next regional rankings with UND sweeping and Regis losing to CO School of Mines today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, with UND completing an impressive road sweep, and Regis losing for the third time in their last six games, the committee will finally have to move Regis from the top spot for the first time this season. The Sioux seem to be peaking at the right time.

:blush: Well it looks like Fosston and BGMR will face off tomorrow night in Crookston with a trip to the state tournament on the line. It is too bad the way the scheduling has worked out as it would be a great opportunity to see two future UND teammates play. Don't know which way it will go, but awfully impressive years for the new recruits...Kimbrough only 6 away for 1000 for the season and 4th all time so far for career scoring for girls and Bagaasan is having a banner year as well and moved into the top 10 for career scoring...it should be fun next year...good luck to both teams and also to the Fighting Sioux Women in their game on Friday!

I beleive it is $6.00 for students throuth the NCC tournament. I wish it was free cause more students would show up but I am going to try and get as may guys from my fraternity to come with me to the game. I am going to explain to them that if we win in the conference tourney, we will be hosting the regional going to the nationals. I am going to bring as MANY of the guys from my house. I just hope that everyone else will bring as many people with them as possible. I want to see a completely full student section.

Good win UND women. Tomorrow's game should be great also. B-G-M-R lost to Fosston tonight, but game them a great game and led the whole first half before running out of gas. Fosston is the better TEAM and much more balanced. They interviewed Kimbrough after the tough loss and she was very classy. She mentioned twice about how much fun the next few years will be playing at UND with Langon and Bagaason. She was actually gigglely when she was talking. You can tell she is fired up for UND. To bad gophers, your loss our gain. It helps to know who the best BB player in the state is and recruit her. My God, Minnesota is her state. You guys didn't know mertens, player of the year in FB and you didn't recruit kimbrough who could be Miss basketball. This is just crazy when you think about it.

Congrats to both Kimbrough and Bagaason. It really sounds like both are very classy along with being outstanding players. What a run of talent for the northwestern part of Minnesota! The next big star may be Kamille Wahlin from Crookston (sister of UND football recruit Kenley Wahlin), who is just a 9th grader.

Does anybody know whether Roebuck is recruiting Rebecca Mercer from Lake Region? She's another Australian, and she was the mvp of that conference. I believe she does have another year of juco eligibility, however. Since Gene has been here, it seems as though all the best Lake Region products have ended up at UND.

Interesting comments in the Grand Forks Herald from St Cloud's coach about how loud and intimidating it was in the Betty.

If 1500 people, last nights attendance, can be intimidating, imagine what 4000 would be like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought last nights crowd was really poor. With a win needed in an NNC semi-final game to secure a home court for the regional playoff that was a poor effort. You don't have to worry about 4000 because Grand Forks doesn't have the support for the womens program. These girls have been playing there hearts out the last few weeks to get this tournament at the Betty!! We respond by not even getting the place half full and sitting on our hands most of the first half. POOR EFFORT!! Take out the St. Cloud people and your bearly over 1000 people. Come on!! If these girls win this tourney it was all there effort not our help!!!!!!!!!!!