SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

I thought last nights crowd was really poor. With a win needed in an NNC semi-final game to secure a home court for the regional playoff that was a poor effort. You don't have to worry about 4000 because Grand Forks doesn't have the support for the womens program. These girls have been playing there hearts out the last few weeks to get this tournament at the Betty!! We respond by not even getting the place half full and sitting on our hands most of the first half. POOR EFFORT!! Take out the St. Cloud people and your bearly over 1000 people. Come on!! If these girls win this tourney it was all there effort not our help!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that this team deserves great fan support, but let's remember that historically the NCC tournament does not draw well no matter where it's held. Last year in Fargo, the UND-NDSU game only drew about 2200, which is obviously far less than the regular season games between these two teams traditionally drew. If UND hosts the regional, I think the crowds will be considerably bigger than last night.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great game by the UND women tonight!!! They proved a lot tonight by being able to win two very different games this weekend. USD posed a heckuva matchup problem by goin with the 5-out offense, and basically this took Langen out of the game. For Hausauer and Boese to step up the way they did tonight was just amazing. Chelsey had to have had 15 boards to go with her 30 pts, and Boese did a heck of a job in the paint 2nd half. I also have to commend Mahlum and Beck and Maffin. They hit some big shots and played great defense off the bench. This team showed me that they could be a force in the tourney, by being able to play more than one style (and Gene showed he still has a little mobility left in him!!!). Say what you want about him, coach Roebuck won that game for the team tonight with his emotion and intensity. Should be a fun regional next weekend!!! Look out for the Sioux!!! :D:D

I think this year has been by far his best coaching year. I think many of us figured this would be a rebuilding year, with only one senior. While the team showed their youth early (on the road and at home against Northern), they are playing very well now. I can see it's tough some times, and he's showing more emotion than ever. What they'll do in the future, with this dynamic recruiting class coming in could be scary!!!

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

Amanda Nisleit, who helped Woodbury win a Class AAAA state championship two years ago as a sophomore, is among five Miss Basketball finalists announced Sunday, as is Ashley Ellis-Milan, who will try to lead St. Paul Central to a state title this week.

The favorite to win the award is Elgin-Millville's Katie Ohm, who set the state career scoring record this winter when she surpassed 3,300 points.

Also in the final five are Kierah Kimbrough of Badger-Greenbush-Middle River and Ashley Samuelson of Underwood.

The winner will be announced at the 31st annual Mr./Miss Basketball Awards Banquet on April 17 at the Minneapolis Holiday Inn West in St. Louis Park.

I know Ohm's career numbers are outstanding, but I also know she was pretty badly out-played by Langen at state last year.

I don't know what they use to determine who wins the award, but as I've said before, it seems to always go to a more metro player who is going to the U of M. All five are definately talented girls. I have seen Kimbrough play against Ellis-Milan. The feeling was if you could hold her to 30, you were doing good. Kimbrough held her to 11 while scoring 21 herself. Ohm has great numbers, but besides the career scoring record which will stand for many years, I think Kimbroughs numbers are better, especially if you go with number of games played. I was just looking at the Minnesota records page and she is up there on a lot of them. She may also be added to national stats with her shooting %, points in a season and in a career. I don't know if not making it to the state tournament will hurt as Nisleit and Kimbrough's teams didn't make it, but Section 8A is historically so strong that it is difficult to get there. It is still very good to be in the top 5 and it must be hard to decide as there is a lot of talent!

Congrats to Kristi Boese for being named first team all-region. link Unfortunately, a glaring omission was made by not selecting Ashley Langen for at least the second team. I didn't get a chance to see all that many NSIC or RMAC players, but there's no way UNO's J.J. Smith merited being selected ahead of Langen.

Congrats to Kristi Boese for being named first team all-region.  link Unfortunately, a glaring omission was made by not selecting Ashley Langen for at least the second team. I didn't get a chance to see all that many NSIC or RMAC players, but there's no way UNO's J.J. Smith merited being selected ahead of Langen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Langen had a tremendous season - I think it is unusual for Freshman to make the daktronics all region squad. Maybe she wasn't nominated. Congrats to Kristi - she is fun to watch!

The best thing about Kimrough is that going by the Fosston game I witnessed on Sat night, she has only scratched the surface. The team and her both looked very poorly coached. No offensive scheme at all. I think I saw 1 screen set for her. She basically ran around the lane followed by 2 girls until they could FORCE a pass into her and she would outjump both of them to get the ball....usually 3 defenders by now when a pass was heaved in there. Usually got crushed by one from each side, just so strong now she doesn't box out or put a body on anyone because she doesn't have to. Unbelievably smooth with good body control. No way teams will be able to handle her and Langen at the same time. It will be very interesting how good she can be with the infinite upside and when she gets pushed by some more talented competition. Also seemed to love to play the game and will bring energy to the game.

Baagason also looked good. Looks like she might be uncoordinated, then the game started....very smooth. Great shooter with good fundamentals. Her game is much farther along than Kimbrough's.

The best thing about Kimrough is that going by the Fosston game I witnessed on Sat night, she has only scratched the surface.  The team and her both looked very poorly coached.  No offensive scheme at all.  I think I saw 1 screen set for her.  She basically ran around the lane followed by 2 girls until they could FORCE a pass into her and she would outjump both of them to get the ball....usually 3 defenders by now when a pass was heaved in there. Usually got crushed by one from each side, just so strong now she doesn't box out or put a body on anyone because she doesn't have to.  Unbelievably smooth with good body control.  No way teams will be able to handle her and Langen at the same time.  It will be very interesting how good she can be with the infinite upside and when she gets pushed by some more talented competition. Also seemed to love to play the game and will bring energy to the game.

Baagason also looked good.  Looks like she might be uncoordinated, then the game started....very smooth. Great shooter with good fundamentals. Her game is much farther along than Kimbrough's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which current or former UND player would you compare Bagaason to?

Better not let any bison fans read that! I thought the league had become terrable since they left?!?! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think about it dakotaboy - this is a ncc all conference team - you have to pick the players in the conference, it doesn't necessarily mean their great players. Besides UND there isn't much strength. Look at the regional with all those powerful teams. Can any sue fan look at the regional teams and not smile.

I believe the point regarding the depth of the conference is that there really aren't any truly bad teams anymore. For years teams like Mankato and UNO were pretty terrible, but that's not the case anymore. Aside from UND, the top teams this year were probably a bit down from past years, but overall the league is still among the best in dII due to that depth. We all know that UND will be loaded next year, but teams like St. Cloud St., UMD, Augie and USD should be very strong, as well.

I understand it is tough for for cow college fans to follow....but the league is much deeper than ever. There are not any gimmes anymore on the road. Mankato is on a fast turnaround wirh Lori Fish. The new UNO coach is also bringing that program up. And as 92,96 stated, next year there will be at least 4-5 tough teams with no easy games. Whereas when the mighty cow college women were winning all their titles in the late 80's to mid 90's it was usually only 3 tough teams with many (5-6) easy games that the top 3 could have a off night and still win by 20.

I understand it is tough for for cow college fans to follow....but the league is much deeper than ever. There are not any gimmes anymore on the road.  Mankato is on a fast turnaround wirh Lori Fish.  The new UNO coach is also bringing that program up.  And as 92,96 stated, next year there will be at least 4-5 tough teams with no easy games.  Whereas when the mighty cow college women were winning all their titles in the late 80's  to mid 90's it was usually only 3 tough teams with many (5-6) easy games that the top 3 could have a off night and still win by 20.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever considered that the ncc has developed into a conference of mediocrity? Your saying all the teams are tough now. Why don't you get the rose colored glasses off and get into the real world.