SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

I must admit that I really thought this might be something of a rebuilding year for the Sioux after losing two All-American players, and I kind of expected that UND may finish as low as fourth in the NCC for the first time in a long, long time. But through the first 17 games of the year, UND may very well be the best team in dII.

I'll be the first to admit you can't put too much stock into comparing scores against common opponents, but you can't help but notice, for example, that UND beat UNO by 51 one night after NDSU beat them by 12, and UND beat USD by 23 (and the game really wasn't even that close) one night before USD beat NDSU. SDSU has also shown to be pretty vulnerable judging by their loss last night at St. Cloud and their two non-conference losses to NSIC teams.

Enthusiasm probably has to be tempered somewhat until after the next couple of weeks, however. UND faces arguably its toughest three-game stretch of the regular season with consecutive road games in Brookings, Sioux Falls and Fargo. If the Sioux can win two of those three, then I think the sky's the limit for this team. Even one win out of three will keep the Sioux in pretty good position for a possible NCC title.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming into the year, I had the same thoughts. Right now, this team scares me a lot less then the last 10-12 Sioux teams, but they just win and it is great to see. I don't know how Leighton continually beats everyone back on the Sioux offensive end, but it is something that makes me think that she isn't hitting the D boards very hard. That is something that can be exploited, I hope it isn't, though. The women play good D and Hausauer is surprisingly playing great all-around basketball. Their bench is the best thing about the team, as Glick, Jahner, and Hausauer aren't causing the team to lose a step or talent when they are on the floor. One area of concern would have to be if Boese or Damaine get into foul trouble, not much size other then those 2 and Glick.

There's more help on the way for the UND womens team. Recruit Danye Guinn from St. Francis (in the cities) is averaging about 23 points and 6 assists per game, and scored 42 points in a game this past weekend. She is currently the leading scorer in the twin cities metro area. She's 5'10" and can play any of the three perimeter positions.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little surprising that Beck wasn't recruited more heavily by some other dII schools considering her athletic ability--as indicated by her track success the past 3-4 years--and the numbers she has put up. She could be a sleeper for the Sioux, or at worst she'll be a better-than-average deep reserve.

With UND losing Leighton, Perrizo and Demaine, but red-shirting Draayer, Werdell and Sannes, and the signings/commitments of Guinn, Langen and now Beck, I would assume that recruiting is done for next season.

• 2 weeks later...

UND Fan,

A few days ago you were wondering about the Baagason girl who is a JR at Fosston, I knew the Gophs were talking to her, and I was told last night that UND is recruiting her and hard. She is about 5-10 and apparently a lights out shooter. She isn't as athletic as Roysland but the coach told me she was a better shooter. UND had her at the NDSU game last Sat along with a 6-2/3 girl from Badger-Grenbush-Middle River, who they are very high on as well, her name is Kimbro or something similar and is a JR as well.

Corella....you are correct.....the Sioux are in fact going to watch the Langen gal play Kimbrough tonight in Greenbush....and from a Greenbush fan she is very intersted in coming here as well as the Fosston gal who can shoot it...i played against her dad and he can shoot the lights out...she is legit

This was in the Herald recently:

Kimbrough sets mark

Badger-Greenbush-Middle River junior Kierah Kimbrough had a pair of milestones in one girls basketball game last week.

In the Gators' 85-38 win against Warren-Alvarado-Oslo on Thursday, Kimbrough set a school single-game record with 49 points. In addition, her first basket in the second half gave her 1,500 for her career.

Kimbrough broke her own girls' single-game record of 44 points, which she'd set earlier this season. The overall record of 45 points was set by Kirk Holmes in 1967.

Kimbrough probably could have reached the 50-point mark. "She was sitting at 49 with three minutes left and pretty much scoring at will," Gators coach Tom Neibauer said. "But I felt that was enough. I didn't want to rub it in."

While it's not that big of a deal in the scheme of things, the fact that Marissa Leighton only got co-NCC player of the week despite scoring 64 points on the weekend is a joke. Some freshman from USD whom I've never even heard of and who scored 24 fewer points than Leighton somehow warranted equal billing in someone's estimation. For whatever reason, the conference seems to have a very hard time awarding the player of the week honor to just one player in a given week.

I agree that Marisa should have gotten player of the week alone. Flynn's numbers were 20 pts and 11 rebounds avg, where Marisa's were 32 pts and 5.5 rebounds in wins at home against tough competition. USDs win were on the road, and St Cload is tough. But a career high (38) should get the honor alone!

Concerning recruits, 2 of NDSU's signees squared off last night. What a horrible game. Sonstelie scored 17 ugly points on poor shooting and Slyt had 16. At least Slyt worked hard and played good defense. Bison assistant Kelli Layman was in attendance as was KVLY. Looked like Sonstelie choked in that situation. Give credit to Climax/fisher defense though.

An inability to win meaningful games away from Hyslop has become a disturbing trend the past few years for the UND women. With tonight's loss to USD, that makes four straight losses in Vermillion, three losses out of the last four games in Brookings, and three straight losses in Fargo. Obviously, the NCC will change a lot next year with the departures of NDSU and SDSU, and the likely fall back into mediocrity by USD with the graduation of Koupal, but nevertheless the UND women had better figure out how to win on the road if another national championship is going to be won any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

UND will have a tough time recruiting Kimbrough I think. I've reffed her (BGMR-Sacred Heart) and she lit up Sonstelie for 33 who is going to NDSU. Kimbrough is tough, and assuming she doesn't get hurt, I've got to believe that she will go D-1, although reportedly she has some alligence to UND. That would be key to get her. Bagaason on the other hand, I reffed her this year too, should be a keeper for UND. She isn't big enough to go D-1, but she is lights-out. One of the better female ballhandlers I've ever seen, and she's cash from outside. Langen, in my opinion will have a tough time in the NCC, that's if she doesn't mold out well. She's smooth and dominant, but that's in NW Minnesota. She's tough and probably a good recuit, but it will be interesting to see what she ends up as.

Does anyone know how this year's red-shirts have done in practice? I'm assuming Sannes hasn't practiced at all due to injury, but I'm curious who is expected to contribute next season? I know Werdell is supposed to be a very good three-point shooter, and that is something that will be badly needed next year.

Great, great win tonight by the women. That cannot be said enough. A loss tonight would have made the regional road pretty tough, this win puts the Sioux at a minimum of the 3 seed, meaning it should be an RMAC team in the 1st round. Nothing I like better, and yes that includes NDSU in hoops, then beating SDSU in basketball. It was a gutsy effort, and you have to say that our chances tommorrow night are better then average. The old addage of beating a team 3 times comes into play, and the 2 previous have been by a hair. It is great to see Mahlum hitting her shots again, she had struggled a bit down the stretch and hopefully can provide the same tommorrow night. Where is Jackguy, he seems quiet despite his "we'll see on a neutral court" talk. Hopefully the Sioux can bring a good contingent to Fargo.