SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if you can get the UND-Gopher exhibition game on the radio or something if you don't live in GF?? It will be a good test for them....some key players are missing for the Gophers, however; I would have really liked to see Langen face off with McCarville...I wish them well

Does anyone know if you can get the UND-Gopher exhibition game on the radio or something if you don't live in GF??  It will be a good test for them....some key players are missing for the Gophers, however; I would have really liked to see Langen face off with McCarville...I wish them well

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the fightingsioux.com radio link isn't working, here's the gopher link:

Gophersports.com

The Star-Tribune had this on the Sioux-Gopher game: UND excited to play Gophers women (Fosston vs. Kittson Central)

Also, this in the UofM paper: http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2004/11/05/11115

We actually battled them pretty tough for the most part. The score got out of hand the last the last couple of minutes. It should have been a 7 point game at half but it was 9, due to the scorekeeper. The gophers had 1.9 seconds to get the last shot off and was taking the ball out of bounds under their basket. They passed it to roysland on top of the key and she took 4 dribbles and shot the ball and it went in. The play had to take at least 4 seconds. No big deal, just very laughable. UND stayed within 8-10 until about 14 minutes to go then they pulled away. It's just a great game for experience and playing against a great TEAM defense like the gophers. There was constant ball pressure and girls fronting our post players, so it was very tough to get the ball down low. UND will not see this same intensity all year and it's just a great learning experience for them. I was impressed with guinn who seemed pretty comfortable out there. We outrebounded them and force some of their 21 turnovers with good solid defense. I thought we did just fine considering our youth and playing without mahlum. We start 2 freshman against a top D-1 team, and both of them looked quite confident. The big glaring difference is the quickness and team defense by the gophers. Not much came easy for UND's offense. It was a good game to watch, with a decent crowd (6,000+). UND can take and learn alot from a game like this (NERVES).

I would think that had Boese scored around 20, which is probably about what she'll average this year, the final score would have looked far more respectable. She's too big a part of the offense for this young team to be able to overcome an off game on her part against a really good team.

I agree, she was and is the key for us. She will be the go to player. She needs to get around 20 every night for us. But she only had 1 or 2 good looks yesterday. She didn't get in any rhythm offensively mainly due to a tough pressure defense. It's too bad she couldn't had more points. I'm sure the game meant alot to her. Other games now will seem a little slower for the team which will help their composer on offense. We were scrambling on offense at times due to the constant pressure. UM has some very quick players. You caught the ball and they were right in your face. If you made a move to the basket there was another player right there to help out. Like I said before, this was a good game for us.

• 4 weeks later...
I heard that they are trying to get Guinn a medical redshirt.  She hurt something in her knee at Mich Tech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I didn't realize the injury was serious enough to be season-ending. Depth is going to be a big problem. The starting five is good, and Maffin and Glynn have played pretty well, but there seems to be a pretty big drop-off after that.

Roebuck confirmed on the coaches' show last night that Guinn isn't expected to play again this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is too bad but she shoudl be able to get a medical redshirt. Fortunately, it happened early in the season.

We we have at least four VERY talented freshmen of the team next year!

What can you say? Tonight was one of the all-time collapses by a UND women's basketball team. Roebuck's a great coach, and the season's still young, but I just don't believe there's enough offensive ability on this team to have the kind of season we're accustomed to seeing. Having 15-20% of the scholarships invested in players in street clothes (Guinn and Sannes) obviously doesn't help matters, either, and that's not anybody's fault. But I think it's fairly clear that there have been some recruiting mistakes in the past few years, and that, combined with the injuries, has resulted in a team with very little depth and very little margin for error--kind of like last year's men's team.

What can you say? Tonight was one of the all-time collapses by a UND women's basketball team. Roebuck's a great coach, and the season's still young, but I just don't believe there's enough offensive ability on this team to have the kind of season we're accustomed to seeing. Having 15-20% of the scholarships invested in players in street clothes (Guinn and Sannes) obviously doesn't help matters, either, and that's not anybody's fault. But I think it's fairly clear that there have been some recruiting mistakes in the past few years, and that, combined with the injuries, has resulted in a team with very little depth and very little margin for error--kind of like last year's men's team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't go so far as saying calling out recruiting mistakes... A coach cannot help for injuries...and Guinn and Sannes both had very good high school careers. Also, a coach cannot do much about a player suffering a knee injury, and then deciding to move in with her boyfriend...those things just happen and it is unfortunate that so many of these problems have occured this year

As far as the team and tonight's game with the Wolves...UND played like a young team for the entire game...While Langen has been a nice presence in the middle...she missed a lot of key shots throughout the game (especially the 1st half). Also, you have to give credit to Northern...Their coach is on the same tier as coach Roebuck, and he made the adjustments needed to shut UND's offense down in the 2nd half. Couple that coaching expertise with some excellent shooters and a good defensive effort, and you have the key ingredients to coming from behind on a team that thinks they have you beat.

The Sioux can only get better from this experience...the players are young, and they will learn over time that you have to go for the jugular, and knock teams out when you have them down...They will mature, and with the inside presence they posess, they will be a force to reckon with down the road this year.

problem tonight was no solid leadership...everyone was looking to everyone else to shoot when Northern started their run. When they're not being challenged - everything is fine - when the *hit hits the fan, everyone panics! Might be a recurring problem this season until the upperclassmen, as few of them as their are, step up and make a stand for better or worse...can't hurt anything as far as I can see... they'll be okay this year - next year much better!

I wouldn't go so far as saying calling out recruiting mistakes... A coach cannot help for injuries...and Guinn and Sannes both had very good high school careers.  Also, a coach cannot do much about a player suffering a knee injury, and then deciding to move in with her boyfriend...those things just happen and it is unfortunate that so many of these problems have occured this year

I'm not going to name names because I don't think that serves any purpose, but when you have so few pure shooters on the team, I don't know what other conclusion one can come to other than to say there were some recruiting miscalculations (probably a more diplomatic word than "mistake"). Even role players should be able to knock down shots when they're open. I'm not going to panic about this year because we all know full well that help is on the way, but it does disappoint me that even without Guinn, Sannes and Glick, we don't seem to have 7-8 players who can shoot AND play defense AND not turn the ball over constantly.

Any word on Sannes?  Draayer has started to get some minutes lately, should be able to help in the rotation later on considering the lack of depth upfront.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed tonight that Sannes went through pre-game warm-ups and didn't exhibit any apparent problems. I would think she must be close to being able to play in games, or else there would be no point in suiting her up and having her go through warm-ups. I think she'd be able to provide more offensive ability than some of the other interior bench players can.