SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

I realize he's on the committee this year. I haven't had the chance to listen to the 1440 A.M. radio show the past several weeks, but I'd be very interested if the topic of regional rankings has come up. I can only assume Roebuck would want to choose his words pretty carefully all things considered, but I'm willing to bet he wasn't happy about UND's 6th place position last week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure he wasn't happy about it but at the same time he knows how it works now... I would also guess that he has to be pretty candid in public about what goes on during the meetings because I think it is supposed to be confidential. We'll see what happens... Looks like Metro or Regis will be 1-2, and what are the chances that they will actually fall out of the 1-2 spots by the end of the regular season? Just something to think about - it will be a really entertaining next few weeks

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he wasn't happy about it but at the same time he knows how it works now... I would also guess that he has to be pretty candid in public about what goes on during the meetings because I think it is supposed to be confidential. We'll see what happens... Looks like Metro or Regis will be 1-2, and what are the chances that they will actually fall out of the 1-2 spots by the end of the regular season? Just something to think about - it will be a really entertaining next few weeks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there's a decent chance UND will leapfrog Metro. UND will have a healthy advantage in overall strength of schedule and in-region SSI, according to my calculations, as well as having a better record vs. common opponents. Both teams will have the same number of in-region losses, but Metro has played more region games and will therefore have a better in-region record, as well as having an overall record advantage with one fewer loss. UND actually has a big advantage over both Metro and Regis in terms of overal SSI.

I think there's a decent chance UND will leapfrog Metro. UND will have a healthy advantage in overall strength of schedule and in-region SSI, according to my calculations, as well as having a better record vs. common opponents. Both teams will have the same number of in-region losses, but Metro has played more region games and will therefore have a better in-region record, as well as having an overall record advantage with one fewer loss. UND actually has a big advantage over both Metro and Regis in terms of overal SSI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would bet a lot of teams have an advantage over Regis and Metro when it comes to overall strength of schedule...

I would bet a lot of teams have an advantage over Regis and Metro when it comes to overall strength of schedule...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably. I do think UND has the highest overall SSI in the region, however. What saves Regis is that there is a separate category for in-region SSI. Their overall SSI is very low due to having lost to an NAIA team (counts for 0 points) and to a sub-.500 dI team (counts for 2 points). Those games, along with their loss to Angelo St., don't count in the in-region SSI. So while most schools have a fairly comparable overall SSI and in-region SSI, Regis has a huge disparity between its two different SSI's. Most likely, so long as they have the best overall record, in-region record, and in-region SSI, they'll likely remain ranked first in the region. However, if UND could possibly run the table--which admittedly won't be easy--and if Regis were to drop one more game putting them at 5 losses, things could get interesting for the top spot...

Probably. I do think UND has the highest overall SSI in the region, however. What saves Regis is that there is a separate category for in-region SSI. Their overall SSI is very low due to having lost to an NAIA team (counts for 0 points) and to a sub-.500 dI team (counts for 2 points). Those games, along with their loss to Angelo St., don't count in the in-region SSI. So while most schools have a fairly comparable overall SSI and in-region SSI, Regis has a huge disparity between its two different SSI's. Most likely, so long as they have the best overall record, in-region record, and in-region SSI, they'll likely remain ranked first in the region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't believe that losing to an NAIA is 0 points but not negative points! I guess that the next best thing is to be 7-8 in the region if Regis Metro is 1-2

Secondly, Kimbrough is legit.  We've known this for a while.  Her teammates are down right now, Mekash was a great complement for Kimbrough and was probably averaging about 15 ppg before she went down with the bad ankle sprain.  She should be back for playoffs though.  The number three scorer Bruggeman? also went down with mono I believe and she was a nice addition to have too.  Having these two people down helps Kimbrough's ppg, but as for a team perspective that hurts.  She is definately a good pickup for the Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see where Mekash (sp?) played last night for B-G-MR. Hopefully they can get back to full strength for the playoffs as it would potentially make for a very interesting region championship game between B-G-MR and Fosston (Kimbrough vs. Bagaason), if B-G-MR can get past Red Lake Falls.

IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE A FOSSTON/BGMR MATCH UP, BUT BGMR DOESN'T HAVE TO GET PASSED RLF, FOSSTON DOES. AS YOU WELL KNOW THO...AT TOURNAMNET TIME...EVERYONE IS 0-0 AND ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN...HAVE TO TAKE ONE GAME AT A TIME...ALSO...I BELIEVE KIMBROUGH IS ONLY ABOUT 81 AWAY FROM SINGLE SEASON SCORING RECORD.

Here's the new poll. Looks like I was wrong about UND leapfrogging Metro. I suppose the RMAC has earned this kind of respect, though, considering how they've dominated the region all these years... :0 I really wish we could have a "do over" with that Northern State game, as having one more win could easily put UND at second and perhaps even first.

North Central

1 Regis (Colorado) 18-1 19-4

2 Metropolitan State 16-4 19-4

3 North Dakota 13-4 19-5

4 Concordia-St Paul 12-4 17-6

5 Minnesota Duluth 11-5 17-6

6 Augustana (South Dakota) 11-5 20-6

7 Minnesota State Moorhead 12-5 18-5

8 St Cloud State 12-6 18-7

9 Southwest Minnesota State 10-7 16-8

10 Fort Hays State 11-4 18-5

North Central

1 Regis (Colorado) 18-1 19-4

2 Metropolitan State 16-4 19-4

3 North Dakota 13-4 19-5

4 Concordia-St Paul 12-4 17-6

5 Minnesota Duluth 11-5 17-6

6 Augustana (South Dakota) 11-5 20-6

7 Minnesota State Moorhead 12-5 18-5

8 St Cloud State 12-6 18-7

9 Southwest Minnesota State 10-7 16-8

10 Fort Hays State 11-4 18-5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look at the cost it would take for UND,metro,concordia,duluth and augie to travel to regis,I wonder if that might have a play in there decision at the end of the year if UND runs the table. I would think you would get a better draw if we had it here also.So lets run the table and let the politics take over.

The other two guards for B-G-M-R are still out. They both have mono. Sounds like they will be back for tourney time. Kimbrough had tough time against RLF's. I thought that would be a tough game because of RLF's defense and no guard play from B-G-M-R. When the guards get healthy they will be very tough. I know kimbrough is tough inside, but I heard that she is Badger's best 3 point shooter. That's scary. It will be fun at tourney time. Fosston wil have it's hands full with RLF's. Badger is in the west section which they should cruise thru, if healthy.

I listened to the coaches' show on 1440 last night, and while he didn't divulge any confidential information or probably say anything for which he could get into trouble, clearly Roebuck isn't happy with the regional rankings. When you look at how the RMAC has fared against both the NCC and NSIC this year (and every year, for that matter), it simply defies logic to have two teams from that conference ranked one and two. Regis, for example, has only played three teams from the NCC/NSIC--USD, Mankato and Bemidji--and all of them were at home. At least last year Concordia-St. Paul had beaten NDSU and SDSU so it was easier to accept when they got the number one seed. This year, just like when Mesa St. got it a few years back, it will be in spite of not really beating anyone of note outside their own conference.

We should know by Saturday night whether UND has any chance whatsoever of rising to first in the region. Tonight, Metro plays at region number 10 Fort Hays, and on Saturday Regis goes to Fort Hays, in addition to obviously UND playing in Vermillion where we haven't won in about five years. Saturday is the last realistic chance for a Regis loss prior to the conference tournament. Since I think they would need to lose two more times (and UND would have to win out) for the Sioux to get to first, if Regis wins at Fort Hays they probably have the top seed wrapped up.

We should know by Saturday night whether UND has any chance whatsoever of rising to first in the region. Tonight, Metro plays at region number 10 Fort Hays, and on Saturday Regis goes to Fort Hays, in addition to obviously UND playing in Vermillion where we haven't won in about five years. Saturday is the last realistic chance for a Regis loss prior to the conference tournament. Since I think they would need to lose two more times (and UND would have to win out) for the Sioux to get to first, if Regis wins at Fort Hays they probably have the top seed wrapped up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fort Hays defeated Metro tonight. Hopefully they can do the same to Regis on Saturday. It certainly is possible considering Regis has no road wins vs. regionally ranked opponents this season. Of course, they've only had one road game against a regionally ranked opponent thus far, which goes a long way towards explaining why they have the record they do.

Unfortunately, it's not a criterion used by the committee, but the fact that Regis hasn't had to play very many regionally ranked teams should be held against them, particularly when their record is nearly identical to UND who has played numerous games, home and on the road, vs. ranked teams. Regis has played Metro St. twice (splitting those two games) and beat Fort Hays at home. They also played and lost to Angelo St., a ranked team from the south central region, on a neutral court. Compare that to UND who has played Augustana (split), UMD (won at home), St. Cloud St. (won twice), Southwest St. (lost on the road), Moorhead (won at home), as well as beating two region number one's (at Grand Valley St. and at home against Seattle Pacific). If the two teams switched schedules, who would have the better record? Unfortunately, because the criteria attempt to make everything objective and don't allow for a common sense component, something so obvious as who played a difficult schedule and who didn't is almost completely overlooked.

RLF-Fosston-BGMR all are great teams. I have watched all but Fosston on the floor and I think that the matchup will definately be Bagaason/ Kimbrough vs. the RLF team defense.

Mekash is slowing working herself back into the lineup, but I've heard that Bruggeman will not be back at all due to mono.

As far as starting lineup next year, let us not forget about Ms. Beck. She has been a spark plug the whole year and could conceivably WORK herself into the starting lineup. There are a few good years of WBB on the horizon.

FYI FOR ANYBODY THAT'S INTERESTED:

BGMR GATORS ARE AT STEPHEN/ARYLE TODAY AT 3:30 P.M. AND THEIR LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME IS TOMORROW IN GREENBUSH AGAINST WAO. THE SCHEDULE STATES THAT IT'S A 7:30 P.M. START BUT I HEARD ON THE RADIO IT WAS A 4:00 P.M. START. SO MIGHT WANT TO CHECK IF YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT GOING...

UND beats USD, and Fort Hayes beats Regis tonight. Things will be very interesting in the region committee conference call this week. Regis has now lost the only two semi-difficult road games they've had, and has the same number of losses as UND. In-region record would appear to be their one and only advantage over UND at this point, and that's just one of six criteria, none of which is supposed to any more important than the others. Roebuck will have to really be lobbying the NSIC committee members so that common sense can finally prevail regarding where the RMAC teams belong in the rankings.