SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

I have been extremely impressed with the play of Ashley Langen. To provide a little perspective, she currently has 152 points (15.2 ppg). Last year's starting center, Cara Demaine, scored 142 points the entire season. I'm not trying to bash Demaine because she was an excellent defender and passer, but Langen has been the kind of dominating low-block scorer that UND hasn't had in awhile, and for the most part she's held her own defensively.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimbrough's latest game:

BADGER-G-MR 65,

KITTSON CO. NORTH 29

KCN 0 7 16 6 29

BGMR 14 20 15 16 65

Kittson Co. North - Ashley Nordin 2, Ashley Matthew 4, Chelsi Nelson 13, Brandi Sele 2, Whitney Coffield 6, Lacey Swenson 2

Badger-Greenbush-MR - Katie Hamness 2, Missy Bruggeman 11, Kayla Agre 1, Lynsey Roppe 6, Kierah Kimbrough 37, Kaley Mekash 8

I believe she's been over 30 points in each game thus far.

Although it is true what Kimbrough has done so far this year, BGMR hasn't played anyone at all yet. KCN is happless at best, always have been. I believe it is mid-February where BGMR plays Red Lake Falls. That will be the test. I just watching RLF play tonight and it will be interesting to see how Kimbrough responds to a great defending team. She's a scorer at heart, it will be nice to see her make everyone around her better against RLF. She's legit and is a HUGE pickup for the Sioux next year.

You are not alone in thinking that she wouldn't be as dominant as she is as a freshmen. I watched her play 3-4 times last year at KCC and I thought that she was not going to be able to withstand the pounding of an NCC game physically. She has surprised me and Roebuck has her on the right track in becoming "quicker" and to have more endurance. She has been "encouraged" by Roebuck to be on the Sports Acceleration program in town, and that has helped immensely. She'll be fun to watch in her career.

P.S. On a Kimbrough note, I heard why she ruled out the U of M. And it was because on her visit to the cities, she witnessed some "violence" on campus and that immediately turned her off.

A little premature I know but......

2005 starting lineup

Carissa Jahner 5-8

Amy Mahlum 5-1

Kristi Boese 6-1

Kierah Kimbrough 6-2

Ashley Langen 6-2

With Beck (who I'm impressed with), Draayer, Maffin, Bagasson, and the other recruit (I forget her name) coming off the bench. Perhaps a redshirt or two with the incoming freshmen. Looks good for UND next year. An athletic and good size team.

A little premature I know but......

2005 starting lineup

Carissa Jahner  5-8

Amy Mahlum    5-1

Kristi Boese      6-1

Kierah Kimbrough  6-2

Ashley Langen  6-2

With Beck (who I'm impressed with), Draayer, Maffin, Bagasson, and the other recruit (I forget her name) coming off the bench.  Perhaps a redshirt or two with the incoming freshmen.  Looks good for UND next year.  An athletic and good size team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is why Roebuck was poking around the last couple weeks looking to "renew" the Sioux-Bison rivalry - he knows he's going to be loaded and would LOVE to shove it in Amy's face by beating a "?d1?" team. He was pretty much told 'su had "filled" their schedule for next year (yeah, right!) Now who's AFRAID to play whom??

Roebuck obviously feels good about the near future if he is offering to play that team without a conference again in the near future.....he must feel he could give Amy a helluva game even though she will 50% more scholarships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey TeamSioux...didn't see your post before I posted mine...obviously GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!! ;););)

okay...we're not worthy...we're not worthy...glad you've already signed up Mayville, Jamestown, and UMC for your BIG non-di opponents next season! You guys (and I use the term in ndsu WBB precisely!!) have gotten really to good for all of us. So exactly WHO are the BIG DI opponents you've "filled" your schedule with next season??? Are you only playing 10 games next season?? is ONE of them at home?? (((OOHHH!!! Oral Roberts South Utah Reserve Campus is COMING TO FARGO!!!! - BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!! ;) )

PS - don't blame US for not wanting to play a BIG DI SCHOOL - blame yourself for considering yourself a BIG DI SCHOOL! ;);)

Gene seems like one of those scruffy little dogs that cower in fear as you approach them, but then bark at you once you're walking away and no longer present any threat to them .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you honestly think Roebuck was afraid to play NDSU this year? I think there was a certain amount of bitterness about breaking up the rivalry and de-stabilizing the NCC, but I highly doubt that fear ever factored into the equation. NDSU is okay this year, but certainly not a powerhouse or anything a decent NCC team should be afraid of. Even if UND was as good as the 98 and 99 teams and NDSU was as average as the teams from that same era, I don't think the games were going to happen this year.

On an unrelated note, why is it that SDSU's women are playing numerous dI opponents this year, and NDSU is only playing two tournament-eligible teams? Did SDSU just have better contacts (doubtful), or did Amy not want to play a tougher schedule this year?

Do you honestly think Roebuck was afraid to play NDSU this year? I think there was a certain amount of bitterness about breaking up the rivalry and de-stabilizing the NCC, but I highly doubt that fear ever factored into the equation. NDSU is okay this year, but certainly not a powerhouse or anything a decent NCC team should be afraid of. Even if UND was as good as the 98 and 99 teams and NDSU was as average as the teams from that same era, I don't think the games were going to happen this year.

True. Change that to bitter and resentful. Ruley is now more than happy to return the same sentiment, but three non-DI spots fill up fast (as they have).

On an unrelated note, why is it that SDSU's women are playing numerous dI opponents this year, and NDSU is only playing two tournament-eligible teams? Did SDSU just have better contacts (doubtful), or did Amy not want to play a tougher schedule this year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The explanation I heard is that Amy wanted to schedule the regional schools first, and then go after DI schools, whereas SDSU went after the DI schools first. With games against Minnesota and Tennessee in the near future, I doubt Amy is backing away from competition. On the men's side, Miles would only schedule DI teams that had a return trip to Fargo in the contract. SDSU took some guarantees, some of which were not very big.

My only concern right now is Mahlum at the point. Her 24% shooting from the floor is unbelievably bad. Last year, it was her half-court defense that was a glaring weakness, but her outside shooting somewhat offset that shortcoming.

Amy Mahlum goes 6-9 from behind the 3-point arc last night. She must have read my post. ;)

The explanation I heard is that Amy wanted to schedule the regional schools first, and then go after DI schools, whereas SDSU went after the DI schools first. With games against Minnesota and Tennessee in the near future, I doubt Amy is backing away from competition. On the men's side, Miles would only schedule DI teams that had a return trip to Fargo in the contract. SDSU took some guarantees, some of which were not very big.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since this is the last year NDSU or SDSU can play a largely dII/dIII/NAIA schedule, a cynic might suggest that Amy wanted to make sure she had one more 20-win season while she still could since it may be awhile before she has another one, and that desire to win as much as possible overrode the desire to play as many dI's as possible this year. When compared to the teams SDSU's women have played or will play, I'd be fairly disappointed in this year's schedule if I were an NDSU women's basketball fan. For example, considering Amy's connections with Purdue, how is it that SDSU is playing them this year and the Bison are not?

If tonight's games are any indication, this should be a wild season in NCC women's basketball. The worst team in the league (on paper)--Mankato--won on the road at one of the top teams--UMD. Also, Omaha--who looks to be the second-worst team---beat a pretty decent Augie squad. It doesn't look like there will be any gimme games this year, but there may not be any really good teams, either.

I never thought I'd see the day when the Sioux lost to Omaha in women's basketball. I think this might be one of the signs of the apocalypse. :silly: And what is the deal with Langen? She didn't start and scored just 4 points. It would appear that the traditionally good teams in the NCC are down, and traditionally bad teams are up, resulting in every team being pretty much the same.