SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

Bison Dan, I should realize you are the all knowing on womens BB! :lol: I have seen enought NCC ball the 17 seasons or so since Roebuck came to know these bottom teams have improved immensely. I know your ideas revolve around that great DI program, but believe it or not there are good teams still even without the Bison. Take your smug remarks about a subject you have no idea about and discuss them with your other Bison buddies being 'Su fans have nothing better to do during tournament time.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to consider about NDSU's championship teams...They won all of their titles at least 10 years ago. I think that women's basketball has come a long way even since the mid-1990's. You don't see teams such as Mankato and USD and UNO playing as bad of basketball as you once did. Also, I would venture to hypothesize that there are more talented young women playing basketball now than back in the mid-1990's. I'm not trying to say that Kasey Morlock was a weak ball player (she was damn good, and you couldn't hate her no matter how hard you tried), but the top teams in the conference aren't getting all the top recruits, and since more good athletes are going to teams that historically aren't as strong, you are seeing more depth.

I certainly can't vouch for the veracity of this rumor, but the following was in Frank Fee's column from the KROX (Crookston) radio web page:

Even though I kind of doubt it will happen, adding Roysland, Kimbrough, Guinn and Bagaason to an already very talented team could make next year's UND team potentially one of the best dII has seen in a long time, at least on paper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure it will ever happen either, but I know that a lot of players seem to have personality conflicts with Coach Borton. It has been mentioned several times on the gopher board, but I have yet to see anything about this rumor...we'll have to see come post season what transpires....

I have to agree that some of the former NCC bottom feeders have been getting a little better over the last few years but none of them can still not come close to replacing the losses of NDSU and SDSU. If the SU's were still in the NCC they along with UND would have probably taken 3 of the top 5 seeds.Without the SU's the NCC is still a strong conference but it is no longer an elite conference.

Kayla Bagaason had a nice game yesterday to lead Fosston into the state title game. She had 22 points, including 4-7 from 3-point range, and 9 rebounds. Although they probably won't be guarding each other, it will be interesting to see how she compares with Ms. Basketball frontrunner, all-time Minnesota career scoring leader and future Gopher Katie Ohm.

where is the guy who said Moorhead St. isnt that bad of a team?:D

were you at the game yesterday??? St. Cloud could have beaten them by 35 if they wanted to...St. Cloud put reserves in while MSU left most of their regulars minus their starters in the game...and made it closer than the game was...and by the way...nice representatin RMAC.....wow....are you kidding me..

Although next season could be great, there are some question marks, as well. Will there be some players who don't return? Simple math would suggest that will be the case, as there are 12 players on the roster with at least one year of eligibilty remaining, plus three recruits and the possibility of a transfer or additional signee next month. IMO, there are some questions whether Glynn, Werdell and Draayer will return and/or ever see much playing time. I'm not suggesting they be cut, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they will ever get much p.t. considering who is returning and the fact that it's fairly unusual for players who don't play much in the their first two years in the program to ever become regular parts of the rotation.

Will Guinn and Maffin be fully recovered from their injuries?

Will UND's big frontline (Langen, Kimbrough and Boese) be able to defend smaller teams, or will some sort of zone defense have to be implemented? For that matter, can the guards do a better job of stopping penetration?

Who will red-shirt? I'm assuming Ledger for sure, but the possibility exists for Bagaason and even Beck depending on the health status of Guinn and Maffin, and whether an impact transfer comes in.

It's just really hard to predict how the Sioux will do considering a lot will depend on how players like Kimbrough, Guinn and Bagaason, if she doesn't red-shirt, adapt to college basketball, and whether younger returning players like Beck and Sannes improve. With Maffin's status unknown--if she tore any knee ligaments I don't know that she will be able to play next year--there really aren't that many experienced players returning. You know what you'll get from Boese, Jahner, Langen and for the most part Mahlum, but after those four there is a lot of inexperience, although certainly not a lack of talent.

Good job tonight by St. Cloud defeating Concordia. The frustrating part for UND is that this is the second time in four years that a Sioux upset loss to an NSIC team opened the door for another NCC team who UND had beaten three times during the season. In 2002, SDSU took advantage of UND's loss to SW St. even though the Sioux were 3-0 vs. the Jacks that year. It was a similar story this year as UND was 3-0 vs. St. Cloud. I'm just glad that the NCC continued its stranglehold on the north central region title.

3-0 against St. Cloud with wins over Seattle-Pacific and Grand Valley State!  We were 5-0 against teams in the Elite Eight - disappointing that we are not there!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somebody wrote this in the SC Times chat-

It was awesome to see fellow NCC fans from UND cheering on the Huskies. Many individuals would not be able to cheer on a rival, but it was nice to see especially since some even found a shirt that was red to wear. WOW! It shows character about that university, and it's fans.

And I agree!

In what has to be considered kind of a surprise, Kayla Bagaason makes first team a.p. all state in Minnesota, but Kierah Kimbrough only makes second team. link I would have thought it would be the other way around. It's pretty cool that Minnesota and Iowa St. are the only other schools besides UND to have signed more than one all-stater this year. Of the eight seniors named to either the first or second team, at least five are going to a major dI program, with obviously Bagaason and Kimbrough going to UND.

In what has to be considered kind of a surprise, Kayla Bagaason makes first team a.p. all state in Minnesota, but Kierah Kimbrough only makes second team.  link I would have thought it would be the other way around. It's pretty cool that Minnesota and Iowa St. are the only other schools besides UND to have signed more than one all-stater this year. Of the eight seniors named to either the first or second team, at least five are going to a major dI program, with obviously Bagaason and Kimbrough going to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of us think of UND as a sudo D-1 team ...

I certainly can't vouch for the veracity of this rumor, but the following was in Frank Fee's column from the KROX (Crookston) radio web page:

Even though I kind of doubt it will happen, adding Roysland, Kimbrough, Guinn and Bagaason to an already very talented team could make next year's UND team potentially one of the best dII has seen in a long time, at least on paper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see the rumor has finally made it to the gopher board. i would give you the link, but I don't know how :lol: Any way....if you go to the gopher e-z board it is discussed there...according to them...her parents were at the state tournament and it is not true...there is some discussion of not blaming her if she did, however...any way...never say never!!!

In what has to be considered kind of a surprise, Kayla Bagaason makes first team a.p. all state in Minnesota, but Kierah Kimbrough only makes second team.  link I would have thought it would be the other way around. It's pretty cool that Minnesota and Iowa St. are the only other schools besides UND to have signed more than one all-stater this year. Of the eight seniors named to either the first or second team, at least five are going to a major dI program, with obviously Bagaason and Kimbrough going to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say it is surprising...not taking away from the 5 fine players selected first team, but given Kimbrough is a Miss Basketball finalist and her stats....very surprising!

• 2 weeks later...