SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I don't believe it could have gone faster. Here is why:

1. Faison was not going to hire from within, so he had to post the position externally. As has been mentioned, the position was required to be posted for 15 business days

2. All application received are required to be screened by the HR department. There were 70 some applications...that takes a bit of time to sort through.

3. The hiring department is required to interview all applications that are forwarded from the HR department and document the process. It takes time to coordinate the schedules of 9 different people to arrange interviews (more people when you include the search committee's schedule).

Remember, the position has only been closed since 5pm, December 10. It has been 5 1/2 business days since then.

Like it or not, this is the process. Do you really think Faison would hire a high profile coach in a questionable way (not following protocol)? He still can bring in a last minute coach, but all of the above steps have to be followed, no matter what.

So the answer I'm looking for from you HR experts is when is the first possible day a hire could have been made? Someone has to know?

1. Faison was not going to hire from within, so he had to post the position externally. As has been mentioned, the position was required to be posted for 15 business days

2. All application received are required to be screened by the HR department. There were 70 some applications...that takes a bit of time to sort through.

3. The hiring department is required to interview all applications that are forwarded from the HR department and document the process. It takes time to coordinate the schedules of 9 different people to arrange interviews (more people when you include the search committee's schedule).

Remember, the position has only been closed since 5pm, December 10. It has been 5 1/2 business days since then.

Like it or not, this is the process. Do you really think Faison would hire a high profile coach in a questionable way (not following protocol)? He still can bring in a last minute coach, but all of the above steps have to be followed, no matter what.

BS. If Faison had a guy in mind who has already applied, he would've been in contact with the HR department and ensured his application was one of the apps forwarded to him. He also would've stressed that time was very limited and the HR department would've been filtering through the apps prior to the final date so they'd be ready to pass them on when the time came. From what we've been told, this results in 9 names being forwarded to Faison. Faison conducts phone interviews with applicants 1-8. The phone interviews consist of "Hey, this is Brian Faison of UND, do you have a few minutes to talk about your application? Ok, sell me on yourself. (2 minutes later) Ok applicant #3, thank you for your interest in the HC position, we'll be in touch." Faison then moves onto the next coach, goes through the same process (taking 5 minutes) and then informs HR to send out the rejection letters. Unless he has a coach lined up who hasn't applied yet and has reason to withhold his app for a few more days/a week, there is no reason the process needed to extend beyond December 11th (other than the background check, but a hire pending the background check certainly could've been made).

• Upvote 3

So the answer I'm looking for from you HR experts is when is the first possible day a hire could have been made? Someone has to know?

In my opinion the 11th if you pencil whipped all the interviews until you got to your fuy....realistically if you had a couple in mind it might take an additional day. It certainly should have been done last week though.

In my opinion the 11th if you pencil whipped all the interviews until you got to your fuy....realistically if you had a couple in mind it might take an additional day. It certainly should have been done last week though.

Thanks.

BS. If Faison had a guy in mind who has already applied, he would've been in contact with the HR department and ensured his application was one of the apps forwarded to him. He also would've stressed that time was very limited and the HR department would've been filtering through the apps prior to the final date so they'd be ready to pass them on when the time came. From what we've been told, this results in 9 names being forwarded to Faison. Faison conducts phone interviews with applicants 1-8. The phone interviews consist of "Hey, this is Brian Faison of UND, do you have a few minutes to talk about your application? Ok, sell me on yourself. (2 minutes later) Ok applicant #3, thank you for your interest in the HC position, we'll be in touch." Faison then moves onto the next coach, goes through the same process (taking 5 minutes) and then informs HR to send out the rejection letters. Unless he has a coach lined up who hasn't applied yet and has reason to withhold his app for a few more days/a week, there is no reason the process needed to extend beyond December 11th (other than the background check, but a hire pending the background check certainly could've been made).

I think he probably had a guy in mind and maybe that person fell through. ..I highly doubt he delayed for the sake of extending the process, unless it was to try and get a higher pay.

1. Faison was not going to hire from within, so he had to post the position externally. As has been mentioned, the position was required to be posted for 15 business days OK

2. All application received are required to be screened by the HR department. There were 70 some applications...that takes a bit of time to sort through. Around 45 or 50 of them could have been screened and filed through the shredder and into the circular file within 5 seconds of coming out of the envelope or off the fax machine

• Upvote 1

Very, very interesting.......

Head coach job is no longer posted on UND's website.....but an opening for an Assistant Coach was posted yesterday.

I'd assume that means expect an announcement soon as a decision has been made. Bubba or DoBoer?

Hopefully today, since it's the 30th day since Muss was fired. I never would have expected this process to take longer than 30 days.

Head coach job is no longer posted on UND's website.....but an opening for an Assistant Coach was posted yesterday.

I'd assume that means expect an announcement soon as a decision has been made. Bubba or DoBoer?

My gut is telling me that it is DeBoer just because he was apparently asked to apply.

• Upvote 1

Somebody (GF Herald) needs to file an open records request and see if any new apps came in the last couple days. If Faison really didn't have a guy and he's just going to be choosing from the pile it's pretty disappointing. I'll be "fine" with several names in the pile, but it shouldn't have taken this long.

I think you nailed it here. Booster lunch on 12/12 would have been perfect. The notion that nothing is happening during the 15 day window other than fax machines whirring, hard drives grinding, and paperwork stacking up is absurd.

I think he probably had a guy in mind and maybe that person fell through. ..I highly doubt he delayed for the sake of extending the process, unless it was to try and get a higher pay.

I agree with your comment, but shouldn't we expect his short list would contain people that were attainable? For instance, I could say I have a short list of FB coaches for UND that include Saban, Belichek, and Cowher...Means I can identify winners, but doesn't mean I can secure them for the role...I am surprised that it seems Faison's list didn't contain names better than what we have seen and some were pie in the sky...troubling to me if we ever had to replace Hakstol.

I agree with your comment, but shouldn't we expect his short list would contain people that were attainable? For instance, I could say I have a short list of FB coaches for UND that include Saban, Belichek, and Cowher...Means I can identify winners, but doesn't mean I can secure them for the role...I am surprised that it seems Faison's list didn't contain names better than what we have seen and some were pie in the sky...troubling to me if we ever had to replace Hakstol.

What I meant was he probably had a verbal commitment from someone and the they backed out prior to applying. Or maybe they waited until this week to apply after the job closed and he was ensured the job would be his. Just speculating though.

My gut is telling me that it is DeBoer just because he was apparently asked to apply.

So this big "national search" and BF using his "vast network" really never happened. And if DoBoer...shouldn't BF have made that call and decision after the season he and his SF team came up here and embarrassed UND?

So this big "national search" and BF using his "vast network" really never happened. And if DoBoer...shouldn't BF have made that call and decision after the season he and his SF team came up here and embarrassed UND?

If I was Brian and had a guy in mind this is what I would do. Wait for all interviews to be done and then call the person you have in mind and say "you are the most qualified so go ahead and submit the app and I know you will be hired". That would be a way around the open records law. By the time the applicants name is announced the job is already his.

I say that because Brian has a lot of D1 AD experience and I can't see him screwing something up so much. Hope that is the case.....

If I was Brian and had a guy in mind this is what I would do. Wait for all interviews to be done and then call the person you have in mind and say "you are the most qualified so go ahead and submit the app and I know you will be hired". That would be a way around the open records law. By the time the applicants name is announced the job is already his.

I say that because Brian has a lot of D1 AD experience and I can't see him screwing something up so much. Hope that is the case.....

That'd be nice, but can they still accept applications after the job posting has been removed? The posting said "open until filled" but I believe the posting must remain open (up on the website) in order to continue accepting applications.

I'd assume that means expect an announcement soon as a decision has been made. Bubba or DeBoer?

I don't get this at all. Why couldn't every coaching position be posted at the same time(when the initial HC position was posted)? When the new HC is announced, the guy he wants as an Assistant Coach, DC, OC etc. could turn in his application at that time and be hired the next day. Why couldn't that have been done?