SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Recent article in Forum/not mention as a possibility

That's Kolpack's wishlist. Half of those guys are not realistic possibilities and would end up taking a pay cut to come to NDSU. Similar to a few lists that came out shortly after Mussman was let go.

I have an interesting story in regards to the Cal Poly coordinator applied...

I was front row student section for the Cal Poly game in 2011 (GWC year), and I recall correctly, that was the game Bradley got benched and Goska got us back in it. It looked like we were gonna win it for a while. In my student section days, I was pretty hostile and abusive while in the front row and did my best to distract the other team (how's your girlfriend and my kids doing kind of stuff). Here and there it may have gotten carried away. Some of the players in that game didn't take it very well. There was water thrown over the shoulder at us and stuff like that. After the play that sealed their victory, one of their offensive coaches turned around and just screamed obscenities at me and ***t talking (which I expected and deserved in the event of the loss), but the end to his rant was "You know what's sad?!?! you guys actually live in this ***thole, at least we get to go home!!!" I'll never forget it. I'm sure it was an offensive coach, as we were behind the offensive bench. Somehow, I'm guessing it wasn't the OC, but it was an older staff member.

I think if we could sign up Pflugrad and he could fill out his staff with one or two key UND/Minnesota/Wisconsin guys, that would be the ideal situation. Pflugrad may not know recruiting our traditional areas but there are plenty of coaches who do. What Pflugrad does know is the Big Sky Conference and what it takes to be successful in it.

New Mexico's former DC Mills (who just was fired because New Mexico's defense was horrible this year) and Cal Poly's OC and former Mankato coach are the three who applied today. They don't interest me or convince me at all. As each day passes, I become more sold on Robin Pflugrad.

Just hire the man come the end of the week! Pflugrad will get this program where we want it to be: a national title contender!!

Not even close!

I ask because more than a handful of posters here have been pining for DeBoer ever since his first visit to the Alerus a few years back. When Mussman was fired, his name was mentioned right quick along with Tibesar and Bollinger.

I would actually be a bit surprised if both he and Bubba do not apply before this is all over with. I think 2014 is a make or break year for Lennon and his staff and they must be aware of it. If they miss the playoffs again next season, the Sioux-Luki era in Carbondale will likely come to a screeching halt..........

• Upvote 1

Just wondering, the guys like Pflugrad and DeBoer - what type of offenses and defenses do they run? did either of them run a 3-4 defense like UND has?

It would not break my heart at all if we got away from the 3-4. It was implemented to stop the veer. It basically eradicated the veer. So what is the point of continuing to run it? It hasn't worked very well in recent years against the more balanced and spread offenses that dominate the college game today. Theoretically, it should work against Cal Poly, but it really hasn't..........

I think it has gone the way of the dinosaur as far as the college game goes.

The Chicago Bears 46 defense was great against 2 receiver sets. Don't see many 2 receiver sets anymore. That's why Buddy Ryan's boys are the only NFL coaches that use anything that even resembles the old 46. Saw last night on SNF that in 10 years as a defensive coordinator, this is the first season that Rob Ryan has had a winning record......

What are the siouxsports power rankings? Tibesar has to be number one I would think, I would put Caruso right behind him and then Pflugrad.

Tib would be a 100% slam dunk but there is a 0.01% chance it happens. Caruso is a reach IMO. Faison gets Pflu and which ND school now can say it has a coach who won a FCS title? And let me put it this way...Griz FB is on par or slightly above UND hockey to their respective fan bases. Ever been to a home Griz game?? If not and you are a FB fan it's a must see. Pflu can handle the "expectations" here...he was the man at Montana!

Tib would be a 100% slam dunk but there is a 0.01% chance it happens. Caruso is a reach IMO. Faison gets Pflu and which ND school now can say it has a coach who won a FCS title? And let me put it this way...Griz FB is on par or slightly above UND hockey to their respective fan bases. Ever been to a home Griz game?? If not and you are a FB fan it's a must see. Pflu can handle the "expectations" here...he was the man at Montana!

I agree, knowing Brooks I would love to see him get the job, but the more I research and find out more about Pflugrad I really like what he would bring to UND.

So who's the guy with deep UND ties that the SfI guys referenced this morning? None of the official applicants from today for that bill. They get an inside tip and the application didn't get in today?

Pretty sure SFI was only speculating there would be an applicant with close UND ties because were only a day out from the deadline. Still could get a name tomorrow I suppose.

It would not break my heart at all if we got away from the 3-4. It was implemented to stop the veer. It basically eradicated the veer. So what is the point of continuing to run it? It hasn't worked very well in recent years against the more balanced and spread offenses that dominate the college game today. Theoretically, it should work against Cal Poly, but it really hasn't..........

I think it has gone the way of the dinosaur as far as the college game goes.

The Chicago Bears 46 defense was great against 2 receiver sets. Don't see many 2 receiver sets anymore. That's why Buddy Ryan's boys are the only NFL coaches that use anything that even resembles the old 46. Saw last night on SNF that in 10 years as a defensive coordinator, this is the first season that Rob Ryan has had a winning record......

If you have good players, the scheme isn't as crucial as you would think. With that being said, it still is important.

If Pflugrad is hired, I'm quite sure he'd be able to assemble an experienced staff. Subsequently, the spread option and 4-3 system that likely would be installed easily has the potential to get the job done. The most important thing is whether or not the new coach can recruit the talent. I'm certain Pflugrad could do that and then some. We'd see heckuva lot better players on campus over the next few years...and they'd be better disciplined/motivated.