SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I'd be ready to move on when it's not Pflugrad. Heck, Weber State is passing on him.

But I don't expect you or anyone else to believe me.

To suggest Weber St. "passed" on Pflu is a joke IMO. Much, much greater chance it was the opposite way around.

Knowing the current applicants, Pflugard is my favorite. It's going to be pretty rare in my opinion that we can steal a Griz coach. I think his transgressions are somewhere between black and white in the world of right and wrong. I have concerns over him, sure, but we aren't Texas sniping Nick Saban exactly, so nature of the beast. I have my doubts about the spread option working in postseasons, but it he builds from the line out it's pretty much a power running game with a much higher chance of turnover, and I know a lot here want smash mouth football. I am also concerned about the defensively. Maybe it's because I haven't seen one in years.

Does anyone know what happened to his assistants at Montana? Were some retained? Do they have other jobs? Like has been said before, a lot of whoever the next guy's success may come just as much from how well he recruits other coaches, as much as recruiting players. Just trying to get a beat on who his possible candidates may be.

Most of Pflugrad's former assistants are still on Montana's staff with Delaney. There was rambling over on egriz that if Pflugrad was hired, he would likely try and take a couple assistants from Montana. With that said, Pflugrad's extensive DI connections make him more than capable of assembling a quality staff. Plus, don't worry about his offense. That thing, with the right athletes, could easily average over 30 pts in the controlled environment of the Alerus. The reason they lost to Sam Houston in the semifinals back in 2011 was because of their defense, not their offense.

• Upvote 1

After looking at the list and reading some articles Javon Dewitt is a pretty interesting name to me. I wouldn't mind him as a selection either as he is a defensive guy and the defense he was a part of this year finished ranked 11th in FBS.

Also spent a couple years at UNI before going to FAU. He was only appointed DC in October, so he didn't hold hte position long at FAU. The hockey team does play his alma mater this week though.... Coincidence??

To suggest Weber St. "passed" on Pflu is a joke IMO. Much, much greater chance it was the opposite way around.

Like I said, I don't expect you to believe me. I do happen to know a coach that has worked with him on staff and has talked to him within the last 3 days. Again, take it FWIW.

• Upvote 1

After looking at the list and reading some articles Javon Dewitt is a pretty interesting name to me. I wouldn't mind him as a selection either as he is a defensive guy and the defense he was a part of this year finished ranked 11th in FBS.

I also like what DeWitt may be able to bring to the table. Although we may complain that there is a lack of "name" candidates, I think the group that has applied does have a few strong contenders.

Whether or not Faison seriously considers Pflu for HC, I think something that has been understated here with Pflu is his resume. Take a look at it, http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=206484500 . He was recruiting coordinator for Arizona State from '95-'00. Then went to Washington State and was recruiting coordinator/assistant head coach from '01-'05. We keep harping about being able to find a guy with great recruiting acumen. Although he doesn't know ND, MN,or WIS, he knows how to recruit.

What's the feeling on the New Mexico guy? For some reason I think Faison's ties there are going to play a role here...

Faison was at New Mexico State whereas Mills was at New Mexico and Mills didn't get to New Mexico until 2012, well after Faison was at UND, so there really is no direct connections. However, he was the DC at New Mexico, Youngstown State, Idaho and Nevada and coached the secondary at Washington for a few years.. Don't know how successful he was at those places, but he is a defensive coach that seems to keep getting hired.

Whether or not Faison seriously considers Pflu for HC, I think something that has been understated here with Pflu is his resume. Take a look at it, http://www.weberstat...TCLID=206484500 . He was recruiting coordinator for Arizona State from '95-'00. Then went to Washington State and was recruiting coordinator/assistant head coach from '01-'05. We keep harping about being able to find a guy with great recruiting acumen. Although he doesn't know ND, MN,or WIS, he knows how to recruit.

Great resume. More than qualified.

He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice, Brian Faison's narrowing, them down.....

He's seen you when you're coaching, he knows of your mistakes, he knows if your teams have been bad or good, so be good for UND's sake. Oh,

You better not suck, better not lose, turn this thing around and we'll celebrate with booze, Brian Faison's coming, to town!!!

:lol: Some levity.

He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice, Brian Faison's narrowing, them down.....

He's seen you when you're coaching, he knows of your mistakes, he knows if your teams have been bad or good, so be good for UND's sake. Oh,

You better not suck, better not lose, turn this thing around and we'll celebrate with booze, Brian Faison's coming, to town!!!

Post/Song of the Month

Pflugrad would be a great hire, but I have him at number 2 behind Caruso. But I guess I trust Faison, as he's made some really good coaching hires in other sports.

agree on all 3 points

there are also some other good resumes on the list - DeWitt, Hoffner, Bliel, Marshall, Ianello to name a few

there is probably one more that we are unaware of that will come to light later today or maybe tomorrow morning

Quote from Gene Taylor on his opinion regarding Bohl leaving (source: wday.com) :

Gene Taylor/NDSU Athletic Director: “I’m not upset he's a friend guy you get to know, knew the day was coming knew Craig Bohl was going to have opportunities whether it was Wyoming or whoever, hate to see a guy you've built a great program hate to see it change but you know it will someday.”

If that quote is any indication, then GT will probably hire the West Fargo jr. varsity coach...