SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Mens Hockey - TV Deal

siouxfan512

Does anyone know if there is anything new with the Men's hockey TV situation? I know that the NCHC has a deal with either NBC or CBS Sports, but that will only cover a few of the games throughout the season?

Have they found a way to broadcast the rest of the games? Pretty disappointing to lose out on the Fox College Sports deal that was in place, I would think they could find a way to make it work for the games that are not already commited to the bigger network.

At the very least, it would be smart of the NCHC to put together something like the Big Sky does. It will be pretty dissapointing if the only way to watch the Sioux are the glitchy webcasts that have been in place over the past several years.

Does anyone know if there is anything new with the Men's hockey TV situation? I know that the NCHC has a deal with either NBC or CBS Sports, but that will only cover a few of the games throughout the season?

Have they found a way to broadcast the rest of the games? Pretty disappointing to lose out on the Fox College Sports deal that was in place, I would think they could find a way to make it work for the games that are not already commited to the bigger network.

At the very least, it would be smart of the NCHC to put together something like the Big Sky does. It will be pretty dissapointing if the only way to watch the Sioux are the glitchy webcasts that have been in place over the past several years.

That's how it looks. Maybe NESN or FSN as was mentioned before picks up a game or two it will have to be the internet.

Terrible! A top D1 hockey program, and this is the best we can do? It pathetic that the school joins a different conference and gives up its national exposure like that. Not saying that they should have stayed in the WCHA, that would have been absurd, but they should have figured out these details way ahead of time.

Terrible! A top D1 hockey program, and this is the best we can do? It pathetic that the school joins a different conference and gives up its national exposure like that. Not saying that they should have stayed in the WCHA, that would have been absurd, but they should have figured out these details way ahead of time.

They did figure this out ahead of time and are banking on the webcast for viewers outside of midcos footprint:/

They did figure this out ahead of time and are banking on the webcast for viewers outside of midcos footprint:/

Pretty poor decision to bank on that after fans have had access to TV deals the past several years. Can't express how disappointed I am in this. Hopefully their current contract isn't too long and they can find a better deal down the road.

Pretty poor decision to bank on that after fans have had access to TV deals the past several years. Can't express how disappointed I am in this. Hopefully their current contract isn't too long and they can find a better deal down the road.

It is unknown whether or not UND would have had the same deal with FCS as the contract was up this year. I doubt the deal with FCS was worth monetarily for UND while the Midco deal actually has some $$'s behind it..

You guys are seriously just figuring this out now?

I was bashed and dragged thru the board when I was complaining about fiasons awesome negotiating skills for the tv deal...

When I first heard about the new league, I was very excited. It has been downhill from there. We are the premeir school in the new conference and should have a little say in the decisioins. First St. Cloud was allowed to join after years of trying to sabatoge our nickname. Next, the only official to publicly state a hatred for the Sioux is named head of officials and we have 2 - count em- 2 Sheppards in the officiating crew. Finally, we take it in the shorts on the broadcasting. Don't we have any influence? What's going on?

When I first heard about the new league, I was very excited. It has been downhill from there. We are the premeir school in the new conference and should have a little say in the decisioins. First St. Cloud was allowed to join after years of trying to sabatoge our nickname. Next, the only official to publicly state a hatred for the Sioux is named head of officials and we have 2 - count em- 2 Sheppards in the officiating crew. Finally, we take it in the shorts on the broadcasting. Don't we have any influence? What's going on?

I agree, I'm not really seeing how this was a move in the right direction for us, especially now that it appears Denver's program is imploding. I think for fans of most schools in the NCHC only having a couple of games televised is probably a step up, but for us it is flat out unacceptable! If more schools had fans like UND college hockey would be a hot commodity for any network. I would almost rather UND rejoin the WCHA and have national coverage of every home game, than be in the NCHC and only be able to watch a handful.

Like I mentioned earlier today, the home games are not as good this year either. Not only are we not playing Minnisota or Wisconsin, but we are also not playing Denver. Transition may kill us if we don't watch it. Football our number one sport of the future?

Like I mentioned earlier today, the home games are not as good this year either. Not only are we not playing Minnisota or Wisconsin, but we are also not playing Denver. Transition may kill us if we don't watch it. Football our number one sport of the future?

There is no transition, UM and UW joined a different conference as did UND. UW will be back on the schedule next year, though I don't know if we travel there or they travel here. Knowledgeable fans should be excited about Miami and Western Michigan, they are two quality programs along with SCSU/Duluth/Omaha at home. Not hosting Denver this year will be a bummer, but it would have been a slight letdown anyway without Gwoz behind the bench for them. I expect the Ralph to be sold out for pretty much every game except maybe one or both of the exhibitions. There are no games over Thanksgiving or Christmas break so the students should be at every game this year.

HA - that was funny!

• Upvote 2

If they want people to purchase the webcast, they better sink some serious coin into it to make it better. All I read on here is how bad it is most of the time. If the webcast is state-of-the-art and reliable, people won't care about Fox College Sports anymore.

Agreed! If the webcast was strong and reliable it would be just fine. Something similar to what the Big Sky does.

If they want people to purchase the webcast, they better sink some serious coin into it to make it better. All I read on here is how bad it is most of the time. If the webcast is state-of-the-art and reliable, people won't care about Fox College Sports anymore.

Agreed! If the webcast was strong and reliable it would be just fine. Something similar to what the Big Sky does.

Could midco go pay per view for away games now that they are going to be HD ?

I'd pay for it, if it was reasonable. There is just no reason they can't work towards a deal that would provide coverage similar to what they had with FCS.

You guys are seriously just figuring this out now?

I was bashed and dragged thru the board when I was complaining about fiasons awesome negotiating skills for the tv deal...

I've been complaining about it for a while. I'm no necessarily opposed to the NCHC, I am opposed to one of the premier teams in the new league having no real benefits. Mostly I'm just ticked that after being able to watch all of the home games over the past few year, I won't be able to now.

From what I understand, UND is working with Nuelion to ensure that more resources are allocated on both ends to provide a higher quality. Whether they are able to actually provide that and handle the traffic is a huge question.

What the Big Sky has is great. The biggest problem I had with it was the large variance in quality depending on which school's feed you were watching. I believe that Fullerton made a comment about setting a minimum standard for webcasts league-wide which would help with that issue.

There is a reason they can't. It's the signed contract the nchc has with CBS college sports.

yeah, and I understand that, but they are pretty poor at negotiating then. Why not negotiate to broadcast you games, that are not already committed to CBS elswhere? We saw some of that this past season, Homegames were all broadcast on FCS with the exception of the few that were on CBS or NBC.

From what I understand, UND is working with Nuelion to ensure that more resources are allocated on both ends to provide a higher quality. Whether they are able to actually provide that and handle the traffic is a huge question.

What the Big Sky has is great. The biggest problem I had with it was the large variance in quality depending on which school's feed you were watching. I believe that Fullerton made a comment about setting a minimum standard for webcasts league-wide which would help with that issue.

That would be positive new, if they can pull it off.

yeah, and I understand that, but they are pretty poor at negotiating then. Why not negotiate to broadcast you games, that are not already committed to CBS elswhere? We saw some of that this past season, Homegames were all broadcast on FCS with the exception of the few that were on CBS or NBC.

Who was bad at negotiating? UND? UND wasn't negotiating with CBSSN, the NCHC was. From the NCHC and 7 of the 8 schools, this is an incredible contract. The league wanted a national network. CBSSN made it a condition that they were the only entity to broadcast the games nationally. The league decided getting exposure to the entire league was more important than just keeping exposure for UND. That's how a league operates. It looks out for the best interests of the league and at times, like this, a specific team may have to settle.

Just because UND was a founding member of the conference does not mean UND gets more say in matters. Just because of the hockey history of UND, the school does not get more say. It's a conference not a dictatorship.

With the HD feed, Neulion will have to up the amount of resources for the stream. Although, I've never had any issues with accessing any of the streams or with buffering issues. Yes, it was crappy SD but that will change this year.

• Upvote 2