SiouxSports.com Forum

Shirvani

UND92,96

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/17153-capital-project-requests-2013-15/page__st__40

I'd put it at around 85% chance he doesn't make it past June 30, 2013. The one thing that people against getting rid of him will point out is the fact that Grindberg is a Bresciani/NDSU lackey. People complain that the university system office doesn't keep the campuses in check and then they complain when the university system office tries to place limits on the campuses. There's a very fine line that must be walked and it looks like Shirvani wasn't aware of it or just didn't care. The SBoHE made a move of desperation in hiring him in order to get a stronger chancellor, but now it looks like we've gone from an incredibly weak chancellor to a tyrant. The SBoHE needs to find someone closer to the middle and perhaps someone homegrown (raised in ND) who actually cares about the state.

:cool:

Shirvani is out. Long overdue. He leaves claiming he didn't have support and that this has been "hell" for he and his wife. He has shown a lack of integrity (failed to comprehend the importance of adherring to the open meeting laws, and was less than honest when testifying before legislative committtees). He showed poor judgement repeatedly (had he followed the advice of his legal counsel in his forst weeks of office and helped the board comply with the open meeting laws he would then have only had to deal with his abrasive and abusive style of leadership and might have kept his job). He showed lack of leadership ( he was abusive and abrasive and he failed to keep the SBoHE from violating open meeting laws). He brought negative publicity to the SBoHE from virtually the beginning of his tenure. He created a divided SBoHE and he left a legacy of failed communication amoungst the state institutions of higher ed and also has placed in jeopardy the future of the SBoHE as we know it. This debacle became a reflection of the SBoHE and our state government leaders. They are in a damage control mode now, and I am not sure the SBoHE will survive. The future could very well hold a situation where the state legislature and those who happen to be in power in Bismarck will manipulate budgets and programs based on the philospohy of their political parties or regional strategies rather than what is best for the state of North Dakota and our students. They should have fired him but I believe they didn't want to go through a court battle he likely would have initiated. Present board with only a few exceptions should be embarrassed.

Whoever was responsible for this hire should be gone as well. I would imagine they vet the portential candidates and do a thorough background check when they look at hiring for this position.....sad thing is a simple google search could have avoided the trouble and embarrassment.

• Upvote 4

Whoever was responsible for this hire should be gone as well. I would imagine they vet the portential candidates and do a thorough background check when they look at hiring for this position.....sad thing is a simple google search could have avoided the trouble and embarrassment.

I absolutely agree - there has not been much talk (or press) about the hiring of Shirvani. It appears that he had plenty of "skeletons in the closet" that should have been found prior to his being offered the job!

• Upvote 1

I absolutely agree - there has not been much talk (or press) about the hiring of Shirvani. It appears that he had plenty of "skeletons in the closet" that should have been found prior to his being offered the job!

You and petey23 understand that you both are asking/advocating for some accountability from the SBoHE and some in our state government for this mess...good luck with that!

LIke this...

Shirvani served as CSU, Stanislaus, president for seven years before taking the North Dakota job. His tenure at the Turlock campus was marked by high-profile ups and downs, including a tumultuous relationship with faculty and staff.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

• 2 weeks later...

Shirvani criticizes heads of NDSU, UND, Minot State

North Dakota University System Chancellor Hamid Shirvani has less than one month left in his position, and he’s not going quietly. Shirvani heaped criticism on three campus presidents in their annual performance evaluations in recent days, calling for full reviews of the presidents at the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University and recommending no raises for the heads of UND and Minot State University.

I can't say that I disagree with the assessment that Kelley doesn't have much of a vision for UND. While there have been good things that have happened on his watch, it would be nice to see him be a bit more aggressive with growing UND's research and national rankings and lay out more visible goals for the university.

Shirvani criticizes heads of NDSU, UND, Minot State

I can't say that I disagree with the assessment that Kelley doesn't have much of a vision for UND. While there have been good things that have happened on his watch, it would be nice to see him be a bit more aggressive with growing UND's research and national rankings and lay out more visible goals for the university.

What a shock that he would criticize the 3 biggest schools in the state. Just go home Shirvani.

What a shock that he would criticize the 3 biggest schools in the state. Just go home Shirvani.

Those 3 schools (in addition to several/all of the other 8) deserve plenty of criticism in certain areas. I thought many of his points were fair, although they came across a bit harsh (that's his style and one of the reasons he will be gone soon). Kelly and the others should attempt to use them constructively rather than attempt to discredit everything like they usually do.

Those 3 schools (in addition to several/all of the other 8) deserve plenty of criticism in certain areas. I thought many of his points were fair, although they came across a bit harsh (that's his style and one of the reasons he will be gone soon). Kelly and the others should attempt to use them constructively rather than attempt to discredit everything like they usually do.

They won't. They will see this as a crabby old man pissed off he lost his job. Maybe if it was done under different circumstances they would respect his thoughts more.

They won't. They will see this as a crabby old man pissed off he lost his job. Maybe if it was done under different circumstances they would respect his thoughts more.

To be fair, they helped to create the circumstances under which the review was done.

That is true. Maybe the third party will see something that needs to be addressed.

All they'll need to do is read Shirvani's performance evaluations, multiple audit reports, and the system risk assessment reports that have been done over the past several years and then ask how the issues identified have been/are being addressed.

State board rejects president evaluations, allows acting chancellor to redo them

The State Board of Higher Education on Thursday rejected former Chancellor Hamid Shirvani’s annual performance evaluations of the 10 public university presidents, calling the language he used repugnant, offensive and unprofessional.

A motion by board President Duaine Espegard and passed by the board said Shirvani did not complete the evaluation requirements established by board policy, which requires him to sit down with presidents after his evaluation of them, and have both parties sign off on the evaluation, which is then put in their employee files.

I have to agree with the Board on this one. A university president shouldn't have to hear about his evaluation in the newspaper.

• Upvote 1

Shirvani has shown just what a low-class piece of work he is. Those "evaluations" were an attempt to take down as many people with him that he could. Did anyone else notice that his harshest criticisms were reserved for those Presidents that dared criticize him about anything? He was a wanna-be dictator and despot and I hope he doesn't let the door hit his fat butt on the way out. :glare:

Hear what? That this guy was a complete idiot??? He has a recurrent pattern of verbal abuse of his staff in Colorado, California and here in N. Dak. He has had votes of no confidence at his job sites. He has been investigated by the Attorney Generals of California and North Dakota. In California they couldn't find enough evidence to prosecute him. He settled an unrelated harassment lawsuit out of court. In North dakota the Attorney General found that what he was told by his previous legal counsel was correct. He and the board were violating the open meeting laws. Which if any of his ideas had any merit? He did not involve North Dakota or area school districts in any type of constructive dialogue nor did he have any meaningful communication with his presidents before he came up with what he dictated the people of North Dakota should do with Higher Ed.

This guy isn't just a dumb-ass he is an arrogant dumb-ass. What job at what level would he not have been fired??? Only the SBoHE. No where else in the country would they have bought him out and given him automatic raises each of the remaining years on his contract. No where else in the country would anyone have been dumb enough to have allowed him to stay in his office and create the damage he did this week with his so called evaluations. Anyone who doesn't think this was vindictive is not thinking clearly.

The SBoHE needs a thorough cleansing. Any of these clowns who supported Shrivani should resign. They are an embarassment to the board and the State of North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

I totally disagree with his assessment of President Kelley. I think Kelley's done an excellent job since he's been here and is definitely moving us in the right direction. I know there are quite a few people on this board who would disagree because of the Sioux logo issue, but he did what he felt was best for the institution regardless of how unpopular it was. In his time here so far we've reached our $300 million fundraising goal, been accepted into the best FCS D1 conference in the country, seen serious upgrades to current academic facilities as well as the construction of new ones. Love him or hate him, he's done way more good than harm and I hope he gets a raise and a contract extension.

• Upvote 3